Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Oh I agree.

I've Ben searching for an ancestor's arrival in Aus. been looking for years.

May have found him, just in sme spots the nam is spelt with a t others with a d.

If jus the press had bothered to confirm the spelling.

Then you look at all the names in the JtR case that are reported wrong.
    Yes, all very frustrating GUT. I suppose there were more regional and education level preferences for spelling accepted in those days and less formal rules?
    It's good to keep that in mind though; People often try to identify one particular person on a census or document by the way he only has 't' or 'm' in his name compared to someone else with a double 't' or 'm' spelling but it rarely works that simply, does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      Yes, all very frustrating GUT. I suppose there were more regional and education level preferences for spelling accepted in those days and less formal rules?
      It's good to keep that in mind though; People often try to identify one particular person on a census or document by the way he only has 't' or 'm' in his name compared to someone else with a double 't' or 'm' spelling but it rarely works that simply, does it.
      Not that simple at all in my experience.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
        Hi Phil
        Hibbert of Kelly and Mylett was the Hebbert of Westminster Hopsital. Charles Alfred.
        Also, in the same vein- McKenna and McKellar of Mylett and MCKenzie and chief medical officer were the same man.
        Hi Debs,

yes..I was aware if these. I referenced the Evans/Skinner encyclopedia and looked in the back of the Ultimate to see the different spellings and listed them as such. As they were there.

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
          Hi Debs,

yes..I was aware if these. I referenced the Evans/Skinner encyclopedia and looked in the back of the Ultimate to see the different spellings and listed them as such. As they were there.

Phil
          Hi Phil
          Well my post wasn't for your benefit then but for the benefit of those people who might not realise Drs Hibbert and Hebbert were the same man (with variant spellings) and McKenna and McKellar were the same man but someone got his name completely wrong in the press and also that he was chief medical officer. This information wasn't indicated in your 'list of all doctors' and I thought it might be useful, even helpful, for someone to know this.

Comment

Hi Phil

In addition to sorting out who was who among doctors with some type of connection to the case during the murders you might also include medical students, who, while not fully qualified, were a major theme in the press coverage of the case as persons of interest in the investigation. One such medical student was the insane medical student John William Smith Sanders although it seems he was safely housed in an asylum at the time of the crime spree. Similarly, although not mentioned at the time of the Whitechapel murders, D. G. [Dennis Gratwick] Halstead described in his memoirs, Doctor in the Nineties, about being viewed with suspicion by the inhabitants of the East End for carrying a black bag; my research shows that Halstead was not a fully qualified doctor at the time of the murders but rather a medical resident at the London Hospital training to be a fully fledged physician. See http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.halsted.html.

Cheers

Chris
            Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 02-29-2016, 09:51 AM.
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
              Hi Phil

In addition to sorting out who was who among doctors with some type of connection to the case during the murders you might also include medical students, who, while not fully qualified, were a major theme in the press coverage of the case as persons of interest in the investigation. One such medical student was the insane medical student John William Smith Sanders although it seems he was safely housed in an asylum at the time of the crime spree. Similarly, although not mentioned at the time of the Whitechapel murders, D. G. [Dennis Gratwick] Halstead described in his memoirs, Doctor in the Nineties, about being viewed with suspicion by the inhabitants of the East End for carrying a black bag; my research shows that Halstead was not a fully qualified doctor at the time of the murders but rather a medical resident at the London Hospital training to be a fully fledged physician. See http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.halsted.html.

Cheers

Chris
              Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reminder. I was actually thinking of doing the same with medical students too..strangely enough.
              Whether it includes those at the time..i.e. in police or Home Office files or statements etc or all known since I am at a little bit of a crossroads.. because the main point of the doctors thing was to confine them to what was in the files then.

If not..all sorts of people will be added. Rather like if I happened to come across the missing suspects file.. I would not include Kosminski, Druitt, Tumblety etc.. on the basis that they aren't considered a suspect at the time.

Sort of like sorting the wheat from the chaff. Going back to basics on the premise of what was. Without add ons, unknown or known.

cheers

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil

Tumblety and D'Onston are already on your list.

Cheers

Chris
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello Chris,

So they are. Well.. I did say the list was compiled rather hurriedly..

"As I said..A little rushed perhaps, but provisional" ..post one.

My apologies. Thou art correct. 1-0 to Liverpool. :-)

I do however state that this list was..from the outset..provisional.

I am not one to claim perfection. Far from it.

Phil
                  Last edited by Phil Carter; 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM.
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Doctor Dukes and doctor Clark should be added, should they not?

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                      I'm guessing that Anderson's doctorate wasn't medical. Theology?
                      He was a Dr of Laws (i.e. legal).

Comment

Working...
                      X