Bonnet Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Thoughts

Hello all, I have a random question- I noted that in JTR- Illustrated Encyclopedia, under Annie's list of belongings it is noted she had a bonnet with her at the time of the murder, but there's never any mention of a color, unlike with the rest of the victims. Anyone ever happen to remember hearing what color it was?

Hi,

I seem to remember it was a straw bonnet, however I could be confused with Catherine Eddowes.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

I did a quick search to see if I could find out, but can't find any mention of Annie having a bonnet at all....weird! Though her other clothes seemed to be pretty old, dirty and worn out, so if she was carrying a bonnet, it'd be reasonable to suggest that whatever condition it had been in and what colour it was when she got it, it was probably heading down the same track by then....

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised they weren't all wearing hats of some kind. It was still part of the Victorian "uniform" for married women, which is to say females over the age of 18.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello all, thanks for checking around. I checked JTR Illustrated Encyc. again and it simply states that she had a "crepe bonnet." No color, although police files were usually really good about noting colors of clothes.

Comment

Working...
          X