alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcoholism

There is a current theory among biological psychiatrist that if an underlying diathesis (genetic predisposition) for the activation of a series of genes associated with alcoholism, that a very small amount of alcohol could indeed provide the epi-genetic tag required for rather intense drives regarding alcohol. This in know way exonerates alcoholic behaviors but rather serves to illustrate that even modern scholars of the mind admit there is a potentially very strong biological component in this disorder that is as yet unknown in both scope and severity. As our understanding of polygenic disorders advance, these details should come to light. Either the scope and strength of the relative models will become known, or biology will be excluded as an operational factor. Respectfully Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Hi
    Well you seem to have gone out on a limb with this one

I take it that this means that some people are predisposed to alcoholism and that it takes very little booze for them to get bladdered!

If so it could explain why at a couple of the inquests the victims were said not to have had little or no alcohol in their systems.

All the best
    Dave
    When you talk to god it's praying; when god talks to you its schizophrenia! - X-Files

Comment

I'm a raving lunatic after a small nip of sweet sherry.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hello Dave. No it means the various accounts of Chapman's struggle with this disorder could in fact contain a nugget of truth that is consistent with the current understandings. No exceptions, no explanations, just an interpretation. Respectfully Dave
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

I would basically agree..I am a recovering alcoholic..my father was and so was his father...

If the genetic tendency to become a problem drinker is not inherited, then in my experience, the personality traits that make one a problem drinker certainly seem to be..

(just for the record, I haven't had drink since Feb 25, 1982..)

Comment

Not to mention examples from close associates. However, I doubt it has a lot to do with our victims, they had enough misery in their lives to send anyone drinking.

Macknnc: well done! Doesn't that make you an ex-alcoholic instead of a recovering one? (it does in my opinion!)

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

I once heard a similar theory about Edgar Allen Poe. That the slightest amount of alcohol would result in marked behavioural changes, And that were he to consume a couple of drinks it would result in alcohol poisoning and death. A sensitivity bordering on an allergy. I think there was even a book about it at one point...
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Well Addy, I would tend to agree with you, but they also say you're never really 'cured'...but until the day comes when I break down and have drink..repeat A drink..then walk away, it remains to be seen if I am an ex-alcoholic or not...

Comment

Nice one, Mac.

Best wishes,
                  Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X