No announcement yet.

Cocaine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an off thought the S.O. threw out to me while I paraphrased this thread to him -- mercury? Not that I know how one acts on mercury, precisely, 'cause I don't, but... There's a reason for the phrase "mad as a hatter" (well, if hatters still used mercury by the late 1880's). And tincture of mercury used as a treatment for syphillus (which I am sure I've spelled wrong) -- the old "have a night with Venus and a lifetime with Mercury" joke (well, if they still used mercury to treat that by the late 1880's).

It's a very random thought, as I admit...
    ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      "Medicinal" cocaine was being manufactured by pharmaceutical companies at least as early as the late 1870s, Mike. No less a person than Sigmund Freud experimented personally with the drug in the early 1880s, and continued to do so over a number of years. He even prescribed it for some of his patients, sometimes with disastrous results.
      Hi Sam,

I did know that Cocaine was available for use during the period Sam, in fact in Atlanta, Georgia, I believe in the late 1880's, some very enterprising folks added it to a syrup based carbonated soft drink that to this day is one of the top selling pops. Things apparently "go better" with it. No longer with that active ingredient though.

I do think though that regular coke users suffer from paranoia as a side effect, which wouldnt go well with a killer who needs his wits about him in stressful surroundings.

All the best Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
        But what are the effects of opium?!

All the best
        Jukka
        I,ve read that the chinese smoke it in pipes. They lie down for comfort while they do it. When you have had enough you will vomit. They keep smoking beyond this point. Eventually, the smoker loses consciousness and has colourful vivid dreams, sleeping perhaps for many hours.

Its a CNS depressant. I doubt it would make anyone want to do anything energetic like commit a murder then run home.
        It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Originally posted by Byzantine View Post
          Well, that did not stop Sherlock from hanging in an opium den in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" (1891). With Watson confirming having patients addicted to opium.

“Holmes!” I whispered, “what on earth are you doing in this den?” ... "“I suppose, Watson,” said he, “that you imagine that I have added opium-smoking to cocaine injections, and all the other little weaknesses on which you have favoured me with your medical views.”

Holmes then goes on explaining he was actually investigating the disappearance of Neville St. Clair. A likely story. Doyle has certainly painted an interesting picture of Victorian opium addicts.
          Thanks for this, Byzantine...which shows, as I said, that Holmes was not a character to use opium. And how far is this hawk-eyed guy from De Quincey's imagination...
          To get back to JtR, I see no reason to conjecture that he used cocaine or opium. By the way, I don't think Whitechapel was famous for its opium dens. Not enough Chinese or sailors there!

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Leighton Young,

You're wrong. Of course the murders could have been carried out while under the influence of Ergot. It's not even a close call. However, judging from your post, I would say that while under the influence, TYPE WRITING should be avoided at all costs! :-) Thanks for the info on Gull. Let me know if you ever find a suspect that died of gangrene of leg...it might help to point us in the right direction. Maybe.

Comment

Working...
            X