Is this in bad taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    The problem is that Labour appear to have no clue and the Tories, as ever, have no care. The Liberals might as well not exist. UKIP now have no need to exist. The Greens are.....well, The Greens.

The Monster Raving Loony Party are beginning to look like an option.
    Join the Classical Liberal Takeover of UKIP!

I shall be joining with my Liberal brother Sargon of Akad, Count Dankula (He's really a lefty) and Paul Joseph Watson.

My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      , a Social Justice Warrior is someone who seeks out various left-wing causes in order to do tweets, facebook posts etc, acquire "friends" and ultimately make a tidy sum out of the whole business.

How exactly do they make that "tidy sum"? Who pays them, and for what?
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I see we remain more or less split down the middle on this one!
        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I have to say it though...there is surely a big difference between the contempt that we rightly reserve for things like ‘safe spaces’ and political correctness and this. If Jack The Ripper was just a bogeyman figure of imagination then there would be no issue. It just seems a bit ‘strange’ to have a serial killer connected with ‘fun.’
          Surely no fun for his victims. And yet, I believe that everyone on this board studies the Ripper for relaxation and entertainment; "fun", if you will.
          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            Surely no fun for his victims. And yet, I believe that everyone on this board studies the Ripper for relaxation and entertainment; "fun", if you will.
            But we don’t ‘chuckle over the rippers antics’ Ginger. Studying the case and debating it is different even if we enjoy doing it. Perhaps it’s just a poor choice of wording on the museums part?

I don’t think people like David Irving should be silenced or imprisoned but I wouldn’t want to see the Auschwitz Museum branded as ‘fun for all the family.’
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Honestly not sure about this. The tour might be spooky and therefore the kind of thing that would attract families/kids in the same way a haunted house would.

It does seem mildly inappropriate to juxtapose "Fun" with a historical killer where innocent people were slaughtered, but people love stuff about ancient warlords etc. When does the intrigue of a crime/famous killer supercede the obvious horror of it/the dignities of the victim? I think in most people's eyes, there is a time factor involved---depends how much time has elapsed since the events.

Also, I wouldn't be bringing young kids to something like this anyway, so kind of odd.

As far as SJW's, not a fan of that nonsense, but I find that people who complain about SJW's are often a "right wing version" of SJW's themselves. Amazingly symmetrical behavior from both sides of the aisle here.

People who need "safe spaces" and think a mild joke is a huge microaggression are jokes themselves, but so are those who think some whacky college kids are the biggest threat to "free speech" or whatever.

Cheers

Comment

Pat, it's the precise opposite : if you're offered a choice between 2 or 3 different kinds of ****, stop eating it.

The parties know very well that it's a 'your turn, my turn' scam. They know very well that they can't always be in power. But being in power half the time is better than nothing for them.

Comment

I have to say it though...there is surely a big difference between the contempt that we rightly reserve for things like ‘safe spaces’ and political correctness and this. If Jack The Ripper was just a bogeyman figure of imagination then there would be no issue. It just seems a bit ‘strange’ to have a serial killer connected with ‘fun.’
                  I agree, Herlock. It's certainly nothing to be outraged about, but it just seems to be in poor taste, IMHO. Family Fun? Are they going to put up signs that say: "Don't try this at home, kids"???
                  Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

The Monster Raving Loony Party are beginning to look like an option.

Brilliant live clip of the late Lord Sutch doing "Jack The Ripper" in London sometime in late 1964.The clips shows kids' fashions just on the cusp between th...
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

It would be strange to have a "True Crime Museum" in England and not make mention of the best-known and most talked about serial killer in history - akin to not discussing the elephant in the room. So, for me, whilst I might question the whole idea of describing such a museum as "Family Fun", the reference to JtR on the poster doesn't aggravate that in any way. I think the poster is in poor taste but because it features someone walking the street carrying a knife - not because of the Ripper reference.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          It would be strange to have a "True Crime Museum" in England and not make mention of the best-known and most talked about serial killer in history - akin to not discussing the elephant in the room. So, for me, whilst I might question the whole idea of describing such a museum as "Family Fun", the reference to JtR on the poster doesn't aggravate that in any way. I think the poster is in poor taste but because it features someone walking the street carrying a knife - not because of the Ripper reference.
                          I agree.

Comment

Working...
                          X