Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 5 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 11 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 27 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (46 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (13 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 531
Default Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife.

Out of the hundreds of named suspects, only one can be shown to have even carried a knife in the area, during the time period. Can you guess who that was?
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,901
Default

Hello Richard.

I am not too familiar with your theory, I did read your posts in the past, was it last year?
So, in reply to your question all I can say is that "being shown" to have carried a knife, and "claiming" to have carried a knife, are not the same thing.
In researching press articles I can verify that 'Gentlemen' were taken in for questioning where they were shown to carry more than one knife, and in a black bag.
To my way of thinking a man carrying a knife does not have the weight that you appear to attribute to it.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Hello Richard.

I am not too familiar with your theory, I did read your posts in the past, was it last year?
So, in reply to your question all I can say is that "being shown" to have carried a knife, and "claiming" to have carried a knife, are not the same thing.
In researching press articles I can verify that 'Gentlemen' were taken in for questioning where they were shown to carry more than one knife, and in a black bag.
To my way of thinking a man carrying a knife does not have the weight that you appear to attribute to it.
Hi. I agree. that claiming and being shown are two different things. To show, to me, needs some sort of evidence, claims can come from nothing. I agree that Gentlemen were taken in for questioning, but since no names are given it's hearsay and a mute point.

To my way of thinking carrying a knife is the most important if not the only perquisite. Beyond these forums of 'seasoned' experts and ripperology in general, people in the outside world think that a man who has a knife a big deal when looking for somebody who has killed with a knife. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is impossible to kill someone with a knife without one. If I remember correctly, this might be why airports screen passengers for them.
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Out of the hundreds of named suspects, only one can be shown to have even carried a knife in the area, during the time period. Can you guess who that was?
Your are wrong, suspect Carl Feigenbaum murdered a woman by cutting her throat using a long bladed knife. The police recovered the knife, and found a sheath which had been used by Feigenbaum to carry the knife about with him, along with a pummel stone he carried for keeping the knife sharp

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:48 PM
rjpalmer rjpalmer is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 443
Default

Off the top of my head? Ostrog, Sadler, Tumblety, Cutbush, and, arguably, Klosowski and Kosminski. Probably others, though not necessarily "in the area" in all cases.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Your are wrong, suspect Carl Feigenbaum murdered a woman by cutting her throat using a long bladed knife. The police recovered the knife, and found a sheath which had been used by Feigenbaum to carry the knife about with him, along with a pummel stone he carried for keeping the knife sharp

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Feigenbaum had a knife, six years after the murders and 3,400 miles away in New York. This hardly shows that he was carrying a knife, in the area, during the time of the murders.
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Feigenbaum had a knife, six years after the murders and 3,400 miles away in New York. This hardly shows that he was carrying a knife, in the area, during the time of the murders.
But your statement was that no other suspects were known to carry knives in the area. If Feigenbaum was in London at the time of the murders, and committed one, some, or even all of the murders then he would have carried a knife, because a knife was used to murder the victims was it not?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 10-16-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Off the top of my head? Ostrog, Sadler, Tumblety, Cutbush, and, arguably, Klosowski and Kosminski. Probably others, though not necessarily "in the area" in all cases.
Michael Ostrog was not shown to have a knife. The only basis is hearsay, written six years after the murders, by Macnaghten, a man not involved in the murder investigation.

Thomas James Sadler. Not shown to have a knife apart from an old blunt one that, when examined, was said to be unusable.

Francis Tumblety. Not shown to have had a knife. (Though you might, from the top of your head, be able to point me in the right direction.)

Thomas Cutbush was not shown to have a knife, apart from the one he purchased, more than two years after the murders.

Klosowski (aka George Chapman) not shown to have a had a knife, unless you count the one under his pillow found in New Jersey 3,400 miles away and 5 years after the murders.

Aaron Kosminski, of the famed Shawl DNA debacle. Not shown to have had a knife, as in carrying one. That he had a knife comes from a claim from either his sister or the sister of a witness. The provenance, like that of the shawl is, at best dubious hearsay.
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Richard Patterson Richard Patterson is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
But your statement was that no other suspects were known to carry knives in the area. If Feigenbaum was in London at the time of the murders, and committed one, some, or even all of the murders then he would have carried a knife, because a knife was used to murder the victims was it not?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Of course if he was in London and if he committed one or more murders, but that is not shown to have had a knife, that is speculation.
__________________
Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Of course if he was in London and if he committed one or more murders, but that is not shown to have had a knife, that is speculation.
Its not because there is evidence that he was in London at the time of the murders, and was responsible for one some or perhaps all.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.