Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 53: One-on-One with Mike Covell

Hi all,

Tomorrow we will record Episode 53 of Rippercast, a one-on-one with the first person to ever appear on the show back in early 2008, researcher, writer and lecturer Mike Covell. Mike has since written two books spanning 5 volumes awaiting publication: From Hell, From Hull and Jack the Ripper Newspapers from Hull. He is also a researcher into ghosts and the paranormal which we will also touch on.

If Casebook members have any questions they would like me to pose to Mr. Covell, please put them below. I'll need them by 5pm UK time, 12pm on the East coast of the US, 9am on the West coast.

Stay Tuned

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM.

Were you surprised to find so many connections to Hull?
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      Hi all,

Tomorrow we will record Episode 53 of Rippercast, a one-on-one with the first person to ever appear on the show back in early 2008, researcher, writer and lecturer Mike Covell. Mike has since written two books spanning 5 volumes awaiting publication: From Hell, From Hull and Jack the Ripper Newspapers from Hull. He is also a researcher into ghosts and the paranormal which we will also touch on.

If Casebook members have any questions they would like me to pose to Mr. Covell, please put them below. I'll need them by 5pm UK time, 12pm on the East coast of the US, 9am on the West coast.

Stay Tuned

JM
      Glad to hear from you again, Jonathan, Please don't be such a stranger in the future!! We all LOVE the podcasts!!!! I've downloading them all and I've been eagerly awaiting the next one. (I'm listening to the D'onsten one right now).

I really would like to know of any updates that have occured since the originals in 2008-09. I'll check for any particular questions later , if possible- this is coming at the end of my online session, and I probably won't get back that early tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
        Glad to hear from you again, Jonathan, Please don't be such a stranger in the future!! We all LOVE the podcasts!!!! I've downloading them all and I've been eagerly awaiting the next one. (I'm listening to the D'onsten one right now).

I really would like to know of any updates that have occured since the originals in 2008-09. I'll check for any particular questions later , if possible- this is coming at the end of my online session, and I probably won't get back that early tomorrow.
        I've got one- Mike, several of the podcasts mention that you are the YouTube expert. Last year, the Barlow & Watt series disappeared the day that I tried to download it and only just resurfaced a couple of weeks ago. However, the one that I could find currently posted is missing episodes 2 & 3 and has portion of a Dr Who episode tacked on at the end of #6. Are there any better complete versions available? Also, have any other YouTube gems popped up since the Documentary podcast?

Comment

Thanks Jen.

JM
          Last edited by jmenges; 06-09-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jen.

Twice.

JM

(not that I would ever delete a double post)
            Last edited by jmenges; 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
              Were you surprised to find so many connections to Hull?
              Hi Jenni, we didn't get round to answering all the questions, so I will reply here.

Yes, I was surprised to find so many connections. Initially I had an idea about Frederick Bailey Deeming and Robert D'Onston Stephenson but the more I searched the more I found. The current number of suspects connected to Hull is 11. I also discovered letters sent to Hull, from Hull, and mentioning Hull, plus a great number of "Ripper" scares between 1888 and 1900 in the local, national and international press. I am also investigating rumours of a victim with links to Hull.
              Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                I've got one- Mike, several of the podcasts mention that you are the YouTube expert. Last year, the Barlow & Watt series disappeared the day that I tried to download it and only just resurfaced a couple of weeks ago. However, the one that I could find currently posted is missing episodes 2 & 3 and has portion of a Dr Who episode tacked on at the end of #6. Are there any better complete versions available? Also, have any other YouTube gems popped up since the Documentary podcast?
                Good day C. F. Leon, Every day I am at the computer I do a simple search "Jack the Ripper" including the quotations. Then I use the filters to find material posted in the last however many hours I have been away, this brings up everything, from news stories to forum posts, blogs, mentions on websites, and videos posted. I have found a few websites other than Youtube over the years that have briefly posted various documentaries and television shows and they seem to appear for a few weeks then vanish. In many cases I have been able to download them and convert them to DVD, but most of the time I wait until I can buy an original. I recently watched the episode of Goodnight Sweetheart where Jack the Ripper appears. The single episode was unavailable online, so I tracked down a boxset with the entire collection in for £10. I bought the lot for that one episode. With things like Prime Suspect - Jack the Ripper, I recorded it on Sky, but later downloaded a copy to transfer to DVD. It is really the luck of the draw, and every day I search for new videos. If I do see a new Barlow and Watt I will let you know.

One of the things that has occurred in recent years is the popularity of the case in schools, colleges and universities. As this happens more and more students are making their own documentaries, some of which are very good, whilst others are quiet amusing.
                Regards Mike

Comment

Great news.. I look foward to hearing the new Rippercast... welcome back!!

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi,
                    I am assuming that there is a technical hitch with the latest Rippercast featuring Mike Covell , there has been no announcement since it was apparently recorded on the 6th june.
                    Is its release imminent?
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

I have not heard from JM either.
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Sorry guys,

No technical glitches. Life has intervened and I haven't found the time to edit the thing. I might be able to work on it this weekend.

Thanks

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                          Sorry guys,

No technical glitches. Life has intervened and I haven't found the time to edit the thing. I might be able to work on it this weekend.

Thanks

JM
                          Still looking forward to this Jonathan.
                          These are not clues, Fred.
                          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                          We will not.

Comment

Rippercast has been forced to take a back seat to other more pressing issues that have arisen recently. As soon as these resolve themselves, and only if in a positive manner, will I be able to catch up with the show. Although Ally might have something in the works, please don't expect anything from me podcast related until mid to late October at the earliest.

Thanks for your patience,

JM

Comment

No problem Jonathan. I did notice on jtrforums that you're trying to sell your copy of RM's Ripper photos book. I'd buy it myself as I'd love a copy. But I wouldn't be able to afford it. I could offer £10 at most which is taking the ...
                              As I'm here thanks for all the podcasts that you done. I have them all and still listen to my fave shows now and again.
                              I hope that things take a turn for the better soon for you.
                              All the best.
                              Last edited by Ozzy; 09-04-2013, 05:31 AM.
                              These are not clues, Fred.
                              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                              We will not.

Comment

Working...
                              X