Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Darryl Kenyon 58 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Varqm 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Varqm 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (28 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (4 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Littlechild, Chief Inspector John George

Old 12-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Commisioner

Default good

Hello Jonathan. Thanks.

"Oh, for sure and if Macnaghten had given us more on this there would be no 'Ripperology' at all."

But perhaps that's a GOOD thing? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
LC
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Commisioner

Hi Jonathan,

My fault. Mea Culpa.

On 29th March Sims was quoting Abberline from the 24th March, not 31st March 1903.

Put it down to the onset of Old-Timers disease.

Regards,

Simon
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 AM
Inactive

Dear Simon

No need to apologise, especially to me: eg. the Druitt Leper.

I make mistakes all the time.

For example Stewart is probably right and I am probably wrong about the 'Balfour' bit.

I would still argue that, as a textual comparison, this is still a tantalizing co-incidence:

'Sir Melville Macnaghten appears to identify the Ripper with the leader of a plot to assassinate Mr. Balfour at the Irish Office. (Browne, 1956)

'I incline to the belief that the individual . . . committed suicide on or about the 10th of November 1888, after he had knocked out a Commissioner of Police and very nearly settled the hash of one of Her Majesty's principal Secretaries of State.' (Macnaghten, 1914)

And the 'hash' was not 'settled', so to speak, in either case.

My one, tiny triumph is finally finding an example of Mac (via Sims) knowing something outside of P.C. Moulson's Report (eg. other than the train pass) which is true of the real Montie.

That his brother was searching for him, which becomes veiled as the friends searching for the doctor.

Most people believe that this so-called 'triumph' is very, very, very tiny indeed ...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Commisioner

Hi Jonathan,

There was certainly no shortage of reported plots to assassinate Balfour.

And he was a guest at the Lord Mayor's banquet on 9th November 1888.

Regards,

Simon
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Inactive

How fascinating Simon!

Balfour was at the Lord Mayor's Day celebrations, spoilt by the fiend's most appalling murder, and at some future point Mac seems to have connected the murderer to a plot to kill the minister of state?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Commisioner

Hi Jonathan,

Yep, them's the facts.

I've often wondered if LMD may have been Balfour's closest call.

Regards,

Joe Friday
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Superintendent

Default Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi Stewart,
You'd be sorely missed.
Regards,
Simon
Simon, thank you for that, appreciated.

I am old, jaded, cynical and have little stomach for the fight. There are some enthusiastic young whipper-snappers about and I really don't wish to put them off as they do some great work. I think that Jonathan's approach is great and brings much new thinking and often causes me to re-assess my ideas. I don't want to put anyone off with my sometimes (unintended) waspy responses, but I often feel I've had enough.

You are that little bit older than me and seem to be able to stay the course whilst still introducing some new and valuable material. If I don't always participate I'll hang around and watch.

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Inactive

To Stewart

Your work on this subject is second to none and there is nothing to be cynical about (weariness is quite another matter) and outside of the 'community' your books, and interviews and article are very much enjoyed and admired.

I had 'The Lodger' before I knew this sire existed. And so that book was the first time I had even read the entire Littlechild Letter. I was already amazed by the 'Secret History' doco which showed that a middle-aged medico pursued by police was the likely prime suspect of 1888.

Then I read the entire letter and discovered that Littlechild had claimed that it was 'believed' -- by somebody -- that Dr. Tumblety had taken his own life (well, that certainly obliterates the Andrews' trip) and thus was even closer to the 'drowned doctor'. And where di that tale come from?

'The Lodger' introduced me to George Sims, in greater depth, and I was amazed by the fictional portrait he had spun for the public which seemed to to me to be bits of Druitt and bits of Tumblety (nobody agrees, I know, including yourself, and that's fair enough) cobbled together to create a tale which enhanced the Yard's reputation.

Fascinating stuff and a boon for me and my students in a succession of history classes,

To Simon 'Joe Friday' Wood

It's not a 'fact' that Macnaghten identified the leader of an assassination plot with the fiend. Historical methodology needs more than one secondary source when it is in conflict with all other primary sources. Even when a single primary source is anomalously alone it is to be treated with great caution (eg. Dr. T's alleged marriage to a prostitute by a single Us tabloid).

It might be true that Browne saw something in a classified file, but it might not be -- it might be a misunderstanding since we cannot access what he accessed, if there is anything to access?

This subject, far from being a set of 'facts', is rather a wilderness of mirrors, of lonely men and women, in small rooms, eating stale sandwiches and drinking staler beer, wearing out their eyes trying to read dusty, forgotten sources in the quest for the Holy Grail of final proof ...

Jonathan 'George Smiley' Hainsworth
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Commisioner

Default problem

Hello Jonathan.

"This subject, far from being a set of 'facts', is rather a wilderness of mirrors . . ."

Quite right. But isn't that, in itself, an indication that something, somewhere, is decidedly wrong?

Cheers.
LC
Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan H View Post
This subject, far from being a set of 'facts', is rather a wilderness of mirrors, of lonely men and women, in small rooms, eating stale sandwiches and drinking staler beer, wearing out their eyes trying to read dusty, forgotten sources in the quest for the Holy Grail of final proof ...

Jonathan 'George Smiley' Hainsworth
Hi Jonathan

This might be one of the truest things that you have yet written. I know I am suffering from eye strain.

Kind regards

Chris
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/