What does this picture remind you of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    The Catholic threat to firstly Elizabeth's life, and secondly a Protestant succession as perceived by the establishment.
    Last edited by EmaEm; 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Ok I'm going with 007 - the left hand on the midriff and also the co-incidence the fact that she was executed and she also bore the name Mary. Spooky!

Comment

A few more such portraits:

And here's even dear, old Bess:

I guess my point is that this sort of pose was so common in portraits, that even if JtR did intentionally position his victims in a pose, there is no reason to link it to Mary Queen of Scots.

In the case of MJK, I am not at all opposed to the possibility that the murderer might have posed the body, but then I see it more as a macabre parody of reclining nude portraits, such as this one:

In which case I do not think the killer copied a specific painting, but rather the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
          Ok I'm going with 007 - the left hand on the midriff and also the co-incidence the fact that she was executed and she also bore the name Mary. Spooky!
          Agreed.

Mary QoS was Catholic...

MJK was Irish...

The Corporation for the Church House charity was set up in 1888...

Where was Edward Benson, then Archbishop of Canterbury, that autumn? Killing papist prostitutes perhaps?
          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Well, Benson had a very strange marriage, so maybe that set him off!

Mary Queen of Scots had her heart and entrails taken away during her body's embalming process and they were buried elsewhere, I believe at Fotheringay Castle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              Well, Benson had a very strange marriage, so maybe that set him off!

Mary Queen of Scots had her heart and entrails taken away during her body's embalming process and they were buried elsewhere, I believe at Fotheringay Castle.
              Come to think about it, Mary, Queen of Scots was briefly the queen of King Francois II of France (1558-1560). She was not the only foreign queen of France. Two hundred and twenty four years after Mary, now a widow, returned to Scotland, Marie Antoinette became Queen of France. She too would be beheaded in 1794. It was with a guilloutine, unlike Mary of Scotland killed by a headsman. But the guilloutine was based on "the Scottish Maiden" a medieval execution machine. Marie Antoinette's body's location is not known today. And keep in mind that Mary Kelly may have changed her name to Marie Jeannette (although Marie Antoinette did not have the name Jeannette.

Of course the business about Marie Antoinette may be useless to this tantalizing piece of information regarding Mary, Queen of Scot's portrait.

Jeff

Comment

I will vote for the discord between the Catholics and the Anglicans, as well as between Mary and Elizabeth I. To put in broader terms: religious intolerance, civil war . . .
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                  It reminds me of Stan Laurel in drag.
                  You know, that's not half crazy at that.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Death of Mary Queen of Scots

Hello All.

"You are Mary Queen of Scots?"

"I am."

"Take that, Mary Queen of Scots."

"Oh, lay off."

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter
                      Reminds me of Stan Laurel in drag

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                      You know, that's not half crazy at that.
                      Told ya.

Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                        Agreed.

Mary QoS was Catholic...

MJK was Irish...

The Corporation for the Church House charity was set up in 1888...

Where was Edward Benson, then Archbishop of Canterbury, that autumn? Killing papist prostitutes perhaps?
                        No, he wasn´t an archbishop or priest.

Regards Pierre

Comment

No, he wasn´t an archbishop or priest.
                          To clarify, you are saying you don't think the killer was an archbishop or a priest? Is that right?

Or are you saying your candidate is not an archbishop or a priest?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            A few more such portraits:

And here's even dear, old Bess:

I guess my point is that this sort of pose was so common in portraits, that even if JtR did intentionally position his victims in a pose, there is no reason to link it to Mary Queen of Scots.

In the case of MJK, I am not at all opposed to the possibility that the murderer might have posed the body, but then I see it more as a macabre parody of reclining nude portraits, such as this one:

In which case I do not think the killer copied a specific painting, but rather the concept.
                            Hi Karl,

thanks for the links.

But in the late 19th century, there was a discussion going on in England about Queen Mary. The roman catholic church wanted to make a saint of her. And this painting was hanging in London. So people knew a little about this queen and some had seen this painting.

The killer had no interest in this queen whatsoever. But he used what people generally knew of her to leave a message to the police and the message was: "I told you I would do this and as you can see, I did it".

This last sentence is my interpretation of a new data source and the photo of Kelly.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                              To clarify, you are saying you don't think the killer was an archbishop or a priest? Is that right?

Or are you saying your candidate is not an archbishop or a priest?
                              My candidate is not an archbishop or a priest.

Regards Pierre

Comment

My candidate is not an archbishop or a priest.
                                Right, so you are, in effect, inviting the members of this forum to play a game of "guess my candidate" with you, while you drip feed to us who it isn't based on purported "sources" or "data". It's not a royal, not a priest, not an archbishop, not the Lord Mayor. What's the point of this?

Is it fulfilling some kind of psychological need for you? Would it not make much more sense before starting any more threads either for you to complete your research, and find the missing evidence that you believe you can find which will prove the killer's identity, or to state who or what your candidate actually is so that this theory can be discussed in a sensible way?

Comment

Working...
                                X