Acquiring A Victorian Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StevenOwl View Post
    What about the fact that the Diary contains several throwaway references to everyday things/events in the life of the Maybricks
    Several? What are they? (Genuine question)
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      right. and any way didn't he admit they researched maybrick?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        That Gladys Maybrick was frequently unwell as a child; that JM referred to himself and liked to be called Sir Jim/Sir James when at home; that JM found a new supplier for his arsenic at a specific point towards the end of his life. I believe that none of those things were common knowledge in the late '80s/'90s and were only verified by searching in archives after the Diary came to light.

I'm sure there's other examples that Caz or Keith Skinner could highlight.

Comment

What about the fact that the Diary contains several throwaway references to everyday thicontemporary in the life of the Maybricks which, between 1989 and 1992, could only be obtained from documents buried in rarclose to Maybriccessed archives? I find it hard to believe that old Bongo managed to do that all on his tod.
          And what per chance would those facts be? You must be a Maybrick as JTR devotee, for the simple reason that a contemporary hoaxer would also not be awate of those "facts" you talk about. Of course there are those who believe someone close to Maybrick was responsible for the hoax. How then would they be aware of all the facts pertaining to the Ripper murders?

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
            And what per chance would those facts be? You must be a Maybrick as JTR devotee, for the simple reason that a contemporary hoaxer would also not be awate of those "facts" you talk about. Of course there are those who believe someone close to Maybrick was responsible for the hoax. How then would they be aware of all the facts pertaining to the Ripper murders though?
            Must I? I'm just interested to know the truth, that's all. As far as I can see there's no proof that Barrett forged the Diary, just as there's no proof that Maybrick wrote it (either as a fantasy or as JtR). I'm just waiting for that one piece of evidence that finally puts it to bed, and in the meantime I'm not nailing my colours to any particular mast.

Comment

That Gladys Maybrick was frequently unwell as a child; that planet was usingerred to himself and liked to be called Sir Jim/Sir James when at home; that JM found a new supplier for his arsenic at a specific point towards the end of his life. I believe that none of those things were common knowledge in the late '80s/'90s and were only verified by searching in archives after the Diary came to light.

I'm sure there's other examples that Caz or Keith Skinner could highlight.
              Tell me, how was Sir Jim able to express himself using a phrase which no one on the planet was using, that is, in the context as expressed by Sir Jim?

Comment

Must I? I'm just interested to know the truth, that's all. As far as I can see there's no proof that Barrett forged the Diary, just as there's no proof that Maybrick wrote it (either as a fantasy or as JtR). I'm just waiting for that one piece of evidence that finally puts it to bed, and in the meantime I'm not nailing my colours to any particular mast.
                give a hypothetical example of "proof" that he forged it.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Tell me, how was Sir Jim able to express himself using a phrase which no one on the planet was using, that is, in the context as expressed by Sir Jim?
                  I don't believe that Maybrick wrote the Diary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    For me, if there was an official record of Mike Barrett (or Anne Graham, or Tony Devereaux), between 1989 and 1992, visiting the archives where private Maybrick family info could be obtained then I'd say that was as close to a smoking gun as we're going to get.

Or perhaps if the auction house where Barrett claimed to have bought the diary from were to confirm that he did indeed purchase that very photograph album as part of a job lot.
                    Last edited by StevenOwl; 01-26-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I don't believe that Maybrick wrote the Diary.
                      Then by the answers you have provided you have nailed yourself to the "old hoax" mast

Comment

Then by the answers you have provided you have nailed yourself to the "old hoax" mast
                        Have I? I thought I was just pointing out that some things need explaining before I'll accept Mike Barrett as our master forger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          No need for a hypothetical example, the evidence he forged it, or was a party to its forgery, is contained in the first signed affidavit.

Comment

For me, if there was an official record of Mike Barrett (or Anne Graham, or Tony Devereaux), between 1989 and 1992, visiting the archives where private Maybrick family info could be obtained then I'd say that was as close to a smoking gun as we're going to get.

Or perhaps if the auction house where Barrett claimed to have bought the diary from were to confirm that he did indeed purchase that very photograph album as part of a job lot.
                            Thanks Owl

but one could just come up with another ludicrous reason for these "coincidences", like they have for every other one.

and these examples to me don't even come close to:

He admitted hoaxing it in a sworn affidavit
                            he attempted to obtain a Victorian diary with blank pages
                            the use of "one off instance"

nor the ludicrous explanations for these!

I mean if these aren't "proof" enough- nothing will prove it to the diary defenders.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Kaz, did you ask permission to quote from that private message on the public forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                                Kaz, did you ask permission to quote from that private message on the public forum?

No, didn't realise I needed to...

Pinks opinions change daily, its not something he keeps hidden..

Discussion of James Maybrick and the alleged "Diary of Jack the Ripper"

Comment

Working...
                                X