Attention All Geniuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention All Geniuses

Attention all geniuses! Can anyone decipher the following writing? I have got so far “Formerly the husband of Violet Leyland Wigglesworth nee Crawford” but that’s it. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    Attached Files

I think the last word is District

Comment

"...from whom he has obtained a divorce"?

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

What is it anyway, Bob?

Steve.

Comment

Many thanks

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
          What is it anyway, Bob?

Steve.
          I don't know, but I think it is " from whom he obtained a divorce".

Thanks to the Brains Trust.

Comment

I meant what is the document? I am pretty confident about the wording.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Hi,

I'll go along with the proposed wording. It makes sense in the context of this record in the National Archives Catalogue.

Click link

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Hi all

Good call Steve, I got the rest just not 'obtained', still can't make that one out even having been told that's what it is!

tj
                It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

tji,

Thanks. Notice how the lower case 'e's are quite tall as in "divorce". You can make "obtained" fit if you really want to. Anyway, m_w_r's post confirms the meaning if not the precice wording.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Hello Steve,

To my eyes it is indeed "from whom he has obtained a divorce"?

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Steve

Not doubting you - just don't think I could have gotten the word.

I can see the o connected to the (old fashioned) b at the top but then the t seems to have no cross bar and a dot at the top, all this would have threw me.

Although in his defence I don't suppose the writer was expecting to have his work dissected years later, I'm sure he would have written neater if he had known.

tj
                      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Looks as if the author was either writing in a very confined space or might have overdone it the night before though doesn't it? And well done to Bob for deciphering "Formerly". That one's not obvious at all at first glance but I'm sure he's right.

Best Wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Dear tji,

The cross bars on some of the other 't's are indistinct or virtually absent and I think that your dot belongs to a row of dots. Could be wrong of course but, as I said earlier, I feel pretty confident about this one.

All the best,

Steve.

Comment

In fact, looking at it again, the t bars in "the", "Violet", and "obtained" do not connect with the rest of the t and in "the" and "obtained" appear above the next letter in the word. Assuming you accept my reading, of course.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Oops!

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                              I meant what is the document? I am pretty confident about the wording.

Best wishes,

Steve.
                              Sorry Steve been a bit under the weather recently the old brain is slowing down. It's a marriage certificate. Now get this the man marries a woman in 1912. Then in 1923 he marries the same woman again but this time she's using a different name! Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X