'oh Murder'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but I'd imagine 'Nooo!' or 'Help!' would be my initial reaction. I don't know... I have a hard time imagining that even some wealthy 19th century dowager would cry 'Oh murder!' if she was attacked in her home, let alone a harlot living in the ass-end of London.
    Everytime somebody enters my home with a knife, you soon hear him cry "Oh murder !"
    And then the voice of my Baikal.

Comment

castle

Hello Mr B.

"Could it have been aargh, murder?"

No, Aargh is a famous castle housing a very old relic. (heh-heh)

cheers.
      LC

Comment

Lynn,

How about, 'Ooh, matron!'

MrB

Comment

Hello MrB. Thanks.

Or perhaps, "Go away or I taunt you a second time-uh"? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

And of course the French "Medre" was common.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello MrB. Thanks.

Or perhaps, "Go away or I taunt you a second time-uh"? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC
              I couldn't have put it better myself!

Cheers,

MrB .

Comment

Just out of curiosity, if there was a cry of 'oh murder' on the night of MJK's death, why did no one take it more seriously?
                Natasha,

I don't believe I've welcomed you to the boards yet. Welcome!

Perhaps some would have taken more notice if it was screamed three times but not very loudly?

Seriously though, it would be impossible to prove it had been cried out unless the person that said it came forward (other than MJK) ...no matter how much it may have been believed. As Dave has mentioned, it seems it was used as more slang as opposed to the literal sense.

Cheers
                DRoy

Comment

Here's a contemporary example from Macdonald's records at the LMA of someone crying out "Murder" when faced with violence. On 17 October 1888 in Tottenham, Henry Elliott shot his brother-in-law Thomas Norris (or Morris) before turning on the gun upon himself and committing suicide. At the time of the inquest, Norris was still alive in the hospital having taken a serious wound to his temple.

From the inquest record at the LMA, John Norris, turf-dealer and nephew to both men:

"On 17th inst. I was at work with my uncle Thomas Norris in Mount Pleasant Field, turf cutting, it was a thick fog. I heard Norris cry out Murder three times. I then heard 2 reports of firearms in succession."

An aside--the Daily News reported on the 18th: "It is believed, too, that deceased had carried the revolver about with him for some time, and that he availed himself of the fog which prevailed yesterday morning to carry out his intention to commit murder and suicide. The shocking affair created a great sensation in the neighbourhood, and all kinds of rumours connecting it with the Whitechapel horrors were circulated."

Best,
                  Dave

Comment

Hi David

No, Natasha, I'm merely saying that "Oh murder !" was a common cry at the time and didn't necessarily mean somebody was being murdered
                    Hoo bloody ray...at least there's two of us listening...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      Everytime somebody enters my home with a knife, you soon hear him cry "Oh murder !"
                      And then the voice of my Baikal.
                      This is why no-one ever gifts you a cutlery set for Christmas.
                      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        And of course the French "Medre" was common.
                        'Merde', you surely mean. That's an appealing idea, in view of Kelly's background. I really can't make anything of it, but it's at least interesting that McCarthy was strongly connected with the music-hall scene per Tom Wescott. 'Merde' is the good-luck expression used by French performers before taking the stage, much as we say 'break a leg'. I don't really believe that's what happened, but I can easily imagine Kelly ironically saying 'merde' just before getting down to business.
                        - Ginger

Comment

G'day Ginger

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          'Merde', you surely mean. That's an appealing idea, in view of Kelly's background. I really can't make anything of it, but it's at least interesting that McCarthy was strongly connected with the music-hall scene per Tom Wescott. 'Merde' is the good-luck expression used by French performers before taking the stage, much as we say 'break a leg'. I don't really believe that's what happened, but I can easily imagine Kelly ironically saying 'merde' just before getting down to business.
                          So I can't type.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

It was the French connection to to the story she is alleged to have told that caught my eye.
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                              Natasha,

I don't believe I've welcomed you to the boards yet. Welcome!

Perhaps some would have taken more notice if it was screamed three times but not very loudly?

Seriously though, it would be impossible to prove it had been cried out unless the person that said it came forward (other than MJK) ...no matter how much it may have been believed. As Dave has mentioned, it seems it was used as more slang as opposed to the literal sense.

Cheers
                              DRoy
                              Hi DRoy

Thank You

I take your point, that does make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                                Hi David

Hoo bloody ray...at least there's two of us listening...

All the best

Dave
                                Hi Dave

I will take what I presume is insinuated sarcasm on the chin

Can get carried away with the JTR subject!

Comment

Working...
                                X