Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Hi Helena

Don't forget, when referencing Casebook, that all the message board posts, and even the dissertations, must really be regarded as works in progress, on account of the rapid developments due to new research. So don't be too hard on any errors. E.g. when I joined, I think the only censuses available online were the 1881 (transcription only),1901 and about half of the 1891.
    Hello Robert.

I don't think I have referenced any message board posts - well, maybe one. 95% of the sources in my book are from 1902-1903.

Is your definition of 'being hard' pointing out the errors found on websites, in books, etc? Because in order to correct these errors, there is no choice but to point them out!
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hi Helena

No, by all means point out errors, but don't make it look as though whoever wrote the item didn't know what he/she was doing, because, after all, the item might have been written years ago under very different circumstances of availability of information and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Hi Helena

No, by all means point out errors, but don't make it look as though whoever wrote the item didn't know what he/she was doing, because, after all, the item might have been written years ago under very different circumstances of availability of information and so on.
        There are many different types of errors. In some cases it IS because people have been slapdash and sloppy. In others yes as you say, the information simply was not available.

In your opinion, how hard should I come down on someone who stated as a 'fact' that Klosowski had 'beheaded his first wife back in Poland', without citing any source, proof, or corroboration, without having taken that story from anywhere else?

Helena
        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Ah, Helena, I'll leave Chapman to the Chapman people.

Comment

Working...
          X