"Everyone knew who he was!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Everyone knew who he was!"

I was digging through my "Ripper Crate" this weekend. It's a giant red tote filled with notes I've made over the years, magazine articles, really anything Ripper related that's not hard-bound on the shelves in my library. Anyway, I came across a notebook I'd written in from the late 1980s, when I was around 20. Back then, I'd bought into the "Druitt theory" that must have been popular around that time. In any event, the notebook recounts in detail conversations I had with Ray, the elderly man who watered the plants at the landscape company I worked at through and after college. Ray was born in 1906 and it was from him that I learned about people sleeping 'on the ropes' in lodging houses around the East End. In any event, I thought it might be interesting to post this entry verbatim. I don't think this is particularly valuable information as I'm sure everyone had similar stories told to them by those that were there (and many that weren't). Alas, I found it incredibly interesting and thought I'd post to see if any else had heard anything similar.

(Dad) lived in Whitechapel. Did not pay rent until turn of century, years before (Ray) was born. Lived in boarding house or with relatives around time, sometimes on the street when he didn't work regularly. (Dad) Made extra money walking women around during Jack the Ripper. People all thought it was "Leather Apron" but Dad knew him and he knew that he wasn't Jack the Ripper. (Dad) Was very big man and "Leather Apron" was a very small man and was no one to be afraid of. Everyone knew that "Leather Apron" wasn't Jack the Ripper but they made trouble from him because no one liked him. (Dad) Said some people around town knew all about Jack. He was a local boy that wasn't right and barely spoke at all. His (the boy's) family didn't believe it. Ended when group went to family and they finally had him taken away. He was sent away to live with relatives far outside London. Dad thought they took him away and killed him.

Hi Patrick!

Interesting story. My idea is that there were 2-3 families in the East End who (really seriously) thought that one of their relatives might be the Ripper. And after he was removed from the East End the serie of murders came to an end. People in the neighborhood may have noticed the familie´s concerns about him and have drawn their own conclusions.

Karsten.

Comment

We are talking about suspicion about a certain family member, although what occurs to me is that the East Ender might be giving information not directly from his father but adding the "received wisdom" about the Ripper that he had heard down the years.
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

By the way, I give it zero credence. I just consider it an interesting bit of information. I'm sure such ideas related from fathers to sons aren't unique.

Comment

The number of people who were unjustly believed to be the Ripper by their friends, neighbours, working comrades etcetera, was probably staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            The number of people who were unjustly believed to be the Ripper by their friends, neighbours, working comrades etcetera, was probably staggering.
            Hi Fisherman

I am certain you are correct. There are plenty of instances reported in the press and those are only the examples that got into newsprint.

Best regards

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
              Hi Fisherman

I am certain you are correct. There are plenty of instances reported in the press and those are only the examples that got into newsprint.

Best regards

Chris
              A tiny fraction of the real number, no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                A tiny fraction of the real number, no doubt!
                He also told me that his dad had heard something about Jack the Ripper being this fellow who lived in Doveton Street, Bethnal Green. But, everyone knew that was impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                  He also told me that his dad had heard something about Jack the Ripper being this fellow who lived in Doveton Street, Bethnal Green. But, everyone knew that was impossible.
                  Yeah. That one was a do-gooder and a family man, wasn´t he? So probably nothing to it.
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 11-16-2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X