Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonia Alexander offers supposed photo of Mary Kelly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonia Alexander offers supposed photo of Mary Kelly.

Author Antonia Alexander offers a supposed photo of her so-called relative, Mary Kelly. As you may well know, Ms. Alexander just recently published a novel with the claims of knowing who the Whitechapel murderer was, and that she is also descendant of Kelly.

Although I do not believe any of what she claims to be true, the photo of the woman I find somewhat intriguing. If I thought Kelly ever looked like anyone, this would be it. I always imagined Kelly to have been a rather plain and 'stout' looking woman.

Either way, I found it interesting news and thought I'd share.

Last edited by AuroraSarintacos; 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM.

thanks

Hello Aurora. Thanks for posting that.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

At least this picture appears to be from the correct era......maybe it would be better to say it is not obviously from the wrong era. The dress looks a bit posh for a working class girl but, then again, I don't think this is 'our' MJK so its rather a moot point.

Comment

Has anyone read/reviewed the book yet?

Comment

couple of things.

From the mary Kelly murder scene photos you can make out the shape of her head and face and also the wrists. mary in those photos appears to have a more rectangular/oval head and relatively thin wrists. whereas this woman has a more round/square head and thick wrists. basically this woman appears more stout to me. But maybe its an earlier picture and if it is the MK she just has not lost all her "baby fat" yet.

Also, and this is total speculation and probably a shot in the dark, but this woman appears to me to be more of the northern European Russian/german jew appearance as opposed to welsh/irish? this is just sort of an impression it gives me but I may be totally off base here.

Finally this woman appears to be relatively well off with the clothes and this being a formal portrait. Note also the jewely-the bracelets on both hands and also I believe she is wearing a wedding/engagement ring. Maybe someone who is more an expert on the period dress could chime in.

Perhaps if it is MK it was an engagement/pre wedding picture taken when she was young and engaged to be married??

Comment

Abby, I think it would be an error to make an assumption on any level; mainly because this is, in all likelihood, not the murdered woman found in Miller's Court.

Be as that may, I'd have to say that I disagree. If we are to believe that Kelly came from a 'well off' family, as she had claimed, who is to say this isn't a photograph tin-type of her when she had seen better days and wasn't a starving, poverty stricken prostitute?

I found the shape of the face to correlate well actually. Perhaps the wrists were smaller or more noticeable, but as I said, this may have been her in her better days?

I thought the nose and lips fit quite nicely as well; and the ears were peculiar. I read somewhere that to be a defining trait?

I believe the poor murdered woman has her head at a certain upward angle, resting on the pillow. Also, most of her face is completely cut off, so that might explain the unrecognizable features?

All in all, I shared this because I found it interesting.

Also, it does seem to fit the sketch of her by the Police Illustrated News, which seems to be the most accurate and telling depiction of her, in my opinion.

Comment

compare

Hello Abby. Good observations.

Wonder if we have some people with proper computer skills who could do an overlay?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraSarintacos View Post
                Abby, I think it would be an error to make an assumption on any level; mainly because this is, in all likelihood, not the murdered woman found in Miller's Court.

Be as that may, I'd have to say that I disagree. If we are to believe that Kelly came from a 'well off' family, as she had claimed, who is to say this isn't a photograph tin-type of her when she had seen better days and wasn't a starving, poverty stricken prostitute?

I found the shape of the face to correlate well actually. Perhaps the wrists were smaller or more noticeable, but as I said, this may have been her in her better days?

I thought the nose and lips fit quite nicely as well; and the ears were peculiar. I read somewhere that to be a defining trait?

I believe the poor murdered woman has her head at a certain upward angle, resting on the pillow. Also, most of her face is completely cut off, so that might explain the unrecognizable features?

All in all, I shared this because I found it interesting.

Also, it does seem to fit the sketch of her by the Police Illustrated News, which seems to be the most accurate and telling depiction of her, in my opinion.
                Hi AS
                interesting point about the illustration. I do see a resemblance. I had always thought that it was just a generic "cartoonish" illustration and that the artist had never seen Mary Kelly, but who knows-Maybe her facial features were described to the artist by someone who knew her??

Comment

Hi Abby,

Isn't that what is says underneath the sketch? "Description of the Murdered Woman found based off of those who knew her closely"

I'm quoting that off of memory, but it seems that the sketch was done by the recollection of those who knew Kelly personally.

Eddowes, Stride and Chapman's sketches in the Police Illustrated News, while not strikingly similar, bared at least a remarkable likeness.

"From descriptions given by her intimate friends"
                  Last edited by AuroraSarintacos; 06-20-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've just been catching up on Casebook and when I saw the photograph of the young woman who Antonia Alexander says is of Mary Kelly I had one of those rare moments of 'Aha' (if you see what I mean). Last year when we were visiting England I bought a second-hand book. It is called 'Uncle Jack' by Tony Williams and Humphrey Price. It was first published in 2005. The book attempts to prove that Tony Williams' ancestor, John Williams, who became a doctor of some renown with links to the Royal family, was Jack the Ripper.

The photograph of 'Mary Kelly' is shown amongst other photographs between pages 84 and 85. This is actually showing John Williams' wife, Mary Elisabeth Ann Hughes (Lizzie), when young before their marriage. It is the SAME photo.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                      Hi everyone,

I've just been catching up on Casebook and when I saw the photograph of the young woman who Antonia Alexander says is of Mary Kelly I had one of those rare moments of 'Aha' (if you see what I mean). Last year when we were visiting England I bought a second-hand book. It is called 'Uncle Jack' by Tony Williams and Humphrey Price. It was first published in 2005. The book attempts to prove that Tony Williams' ancestor, John Williams, who became a doctor of some renown with links to the Royal family, was Jack the Ripper.

The photograph of 'Mary Kelly' is shown amongst other photographs between pages 84 and 85. This is actually showing John Williams' wife, Mary Elisabeth Ann Hughes (Lizzie), when young before their marriage. It is the SAME photo.

Carol
                      Doh!!!

Thanks Carol.

Comment

dead bear

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                        Has anyone read/reviewed the book yet?
                        Hi Barnaby,I'm one of the poor sods who forked out a fiver to purchase this book on my beloved kindle.The book is great and absolutely fantastic until you start reading it in my opinion it is totally made up it contains everything apart from any facts and quite frankly is the worst ripper book every( and let's face it with had some stinkers over the years.)If I had the choice of re reading this book again or sticking my head up a dead bears bum I would take the dead bear option anytime.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                          Hi everyone,

Carol
                          Are you SURE, Carol?

While I can see a resemblance, Ms. Hughes seems much slimmer. Hmm.

But, thank you for clearing that up?

I'm REALLY starting to not like this Antonia Alexander woman -___-

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraSarintacos View Post
                            Are you SURE, Carol?

While I can see a resemblance, Ms. Hughes seems much slimmer. Hmm.

But, thank you for clearing that up?

I'm REALLY starting to not like this Antonia Alexander woman -___-
                            Hi please do not buy this book see my review above .
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Oh, I do not plan on it.

Trust me! haha

Comment

Working...
                              X