Mitre square, very upsetting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre square, very upsetting!

Early this morning (02:30) I visited Mitre sq, just finished work so thought I'd See if they were destroying our history.

Sure enough, the builders are in, only the cobbles and square are open to walk in, the buildings around are covered in scaffolding, Mitre passage is covered, you can still walk through church passage but, it looks like the end of the square we know it.

This is a real tragedy and I can only put a curse on Boris Johnson for allowing this disgraceful destruction of a truly historic site, still I suppose money talks and I'm sure some local government officials have had their pockets well and truly lined or am I being Cynical.

Originally posted by Rob1n View Post
    Early this morning (02:30) I visited Mitre sq, just finished work so thought I'd See if they were destroying our history.

Sure enough, the builders are in, only the cobbles and square are open to walk in, the buildings around are covered in scaffolding, Mitre passage is covered, you can still walk through church passage but, it looks like the end of the square we know it.

This is a real tragedy and I can only put a curse on Boris Johnson for allowing this disgraceful destruction of a truly historic site, still I suppose money talks and I'm sure some local government officials have had their pockets well and truly lined or am I being Cynical.
    Hi,
    I went for a visit at lunch time today, I now see the bench and flower bed has gone.
    The square seems to be the size of a postage stamp....now beginning to get really concerned.

Regards.

Comment

This is a real tragedy
      Is this real irony?

Comment

Dorset Street just as bad this taken from "Itchy Park" last week.
        Attached Files

Comment

Maybe all development anywhere should be banned???
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The original poster might be an organizer of a Ripper tour.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Maybe all development anywhere should be banned???
              Developers are destroying London, certain people seem to want it to resemble some non descript American city.....soulless !
              Even so called protected areas such as Norton Follgate are now under threat because money talks.
              I've actually seen buildings that arn't that old coming down to be replaced....madness.
              Regards.

Comment

cobbles
                Is there anybody else out there who hears Philip Hutchinson in their head saying that they are setts, not cobbles, every time somebody says cobbles / cobblestones?
                Or maybe it's just because I'm the pedantic type myself.

These are not clues, Fred.
                It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

This may be an unpopular opinion on a Ripperology forum, but housing for people living in London today is more important than preserving the location of a brutal murder that took place well over a century ago.

Comment

I really don't think the emerging, compact mass of conglomerate development has very much to do with housing people.

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                      This may be an unpopular opinion on a Ripperology forum, but housing for people living in London today is more important than preserving the location of a brutal murder that took place well over a century ago.
                      As is providing commercial space if people want jobs.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        As is providing commercial space if people want jobs.
                        Believe me, their is plenty of housing going up in this area, but ain't affordable for most Londoners....it's not for Londeners
                        And it can still be done without ruining the place....it's look...it's feel....and it's history.

Comment

I'm torn on this one. Of course people need houses and jobs, but the whole of East London is being taken beyond the reach of most people on anything but a well above average wage. The developers are not responding to any need for housing, they couldn't give a monkeys about that; they are lining their own pockets. My own community Hackney Wick, just up the road from Spitalfields, is being slowly strangled by developers. It used to have the highest concentration of affordable artist studios in Europe (possibly the world) based mainly in century-old industrial warehouses. More and more of my friends are being priced out by developers and landlords who are cashing in on the post-Olympics gentrification here, and what was a real community is being replaced by boutique coffee bars and hipster microbreweries servicing the new residents of the new-build lego-towers, who don't know their neighbours and don't even work here, they mostly commute to Canning Town or Docklands.

I don't expect the world, or business, to care too much about century-old murders, but Spitalfields has already started to change from what it was - now you can buy fish and chips for £8 from an American-diner-style chip shop.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had until it's gone, and you realise that what replaced it has no soul, no life, no colour.
                          Last edited by Henry Flower; 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, well, thank heaven for archives then.

Pierre

Comment

Ironically the development at the market over the old site of Dorset Street could very well mean that you will be able to once again stand on the exact spot of the Mary Kelly murder, as it looks like it will no longer be a heavy good loading bay.
                              Time will soon show us.

Comment

Working...
                              X