Solicitation methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitation methods

Hi everyone. Just had a thought. Since there were so many prostitutes working in the East End, there are a few questions I had always wondered about the way they conducted themselves. SOme of the questions I had were:

1. What were some ways they would go about attracting a client?
    2. Did they ever wear anything (like an article of clothing) a certain way that served as a sort of "signal" to any men that they were prostitutes?
    3. What would you say were their "peak" hours, when they would get the potential to attract the mosy business?
    4.How would they approach a client? Say something like "Hello, gent, Looking for some company?" or be more direct and say "Oi! For a few shillings, I'll <insert sexual request here>
    4.Was the most common sexual favor that was done? A "quickie" vaginal intercourse or oral sex or even other requests?
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

In this regard, I've read that lipstick originated with Babylonian prostitutes advertising that they gave fellatio ("blow-jobs", if someone doesn't recognize the big word) & "popping" (or "smacking") gum was a later (probably Victorian-era) effort to do the same.

- CFL

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
      In this regard, I've read that lipstick originated with Babylonian prostitutes advertising that they gave fellatio ("blow-jobs", if someone doesn't recognize the big word) & "popping" (or "smacking") gum was a later (probably Victorian-era) effort to do the same.

- CFL
      Apparently so.

Hats also played a part in Victorian England (as well as other times and places).
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Seems to be what you needed to look out for ......

Black straw bonnet trimmed in green and black velvet with black beads. Black strings, worn tied to the head.
        Black cloth jacket trimmed around the collar and cuffs with imitation fur and around the pockets in black silk braid and fur. Large metal buttons.
        Dark green chintz skirt, 3 flounces, brown button on waistband. The skirt is patterned with Michaelmas daisies and golden lilies.
        Man's white vest, matching buttons down front.
        Brown linsey bodice, black velvet collar with brown buttons down front
        Grey stuff petticoat with white waistband
        Very old green alpaca skirt (worn as undergarment)
        Very old ragged blue skirt with red flounces, light twill lining (worn as undergarment)
        White calico chemise
        No drawers or stays
        Pair of men's lace up boots, mohair laces. Right boot repaired with red thread
        1 piece of red gauze silk worn as a neckerchief
        1 large white pocket handkerchief
        1 large white cotton handkerchief with red and white bird's eye border
        2 unbleached calico pockets, tape strings
        1 blue stripe bed ticking pocket
        Brown ribbed knee stockings, darned at the feet with white cotton
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

In this regard, I've read that lipstick originated with Babylonian prostitutes advertising that they gave fellatio
          That looks like an urban myth to me. By that logic, mascara was invented by women who wanted to advertise the fact that they took it in the eye Don't think so somehow.

The invention of makeup (not only Babylonian, BTW, as makeup arose independently in many cultures all over the world) was probably designed simply to accentuate the beauty of various important facial landmarks - chief among them being the eyes and the lips, of course. Making oneself more attractive by accentuating bodily features pre-dates prostitution by aeons; indeed, it pre-dates humans.
          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 01-04-2018, 04:45 AM.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

- CFL
            Oh so that's what that word means!!!. These boards have furthered my education in so many ways...."solitary vices", "recent connexion", "how's your father" and last but certainly not least "big girl's blouse." Keep 'em coming (uh, no pun intended).

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              Oh so that's what that word means!!!. These boards have furthered my education in so many ways...."solitary vices", "recent connexion", "how's your father" and last but certainly not least "big girl's blouse." Keep 'em coming (uh, no pun intended).

c.d.
              Wow you didn’t know Big Girl’s Blouse.....
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Nope. Never heard it before I joined these boards. It is not an expression that is used in the U.S. or should I say I never heard it used here.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  I heard that recently on an episode of "Midsommer Mysteries"-- one male character advised several others not to "be such a bunch of Big Girl's Blouses!" Lol, g!ad I'd already read about the phrase here, or I'd have been very puzzled.

Wonder if the American version would have been "Panty Waist"?
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    I heard that recently on an episode of "Midsommer Mysteries"-- one male character advised several others not to "be such a bunch of Big Girl's Blouses!" Lol, g!ad I'd already read about the phrase here, or I'd have been very puzzled.

Wonder if the American version would have been "Panty Waist"?
                    Pretty similar.
                    G U T

Comment

Assuming that George Hutchinson is an honest witness, I wonder about the exchange between MJK & "Astrakan Man"- in particular the whole bit about the lost handkerchief. Maybe it was a British LVT turn of phrase or habits, but it just seems odd to me. Could the request & offering of the handkerchief have been some sort of prostitute/john code?

- CFL

Comment

Working...
                      X