Mitre Square simulation of police beats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Joshua,

Here's a rain reference for that evening.

Lloyds
    Sept. 30, 1888

In London has the most uncertainty prevailed and late last evening the heaviest downpour of the week occurred.

The reference for the can of tea could very well be a press coloration. I found that reference here.

East London Advertiser
    Saturday, 6 October 1888.
    Last edited by jerryd; 05-08-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
      Thanks Joshua,

Here's a rain reference for that evening.

Lloyds
      Sept. 30, 1888

In London has the most uncertainty prevailed and late last evening the heaviest downpour of the week occurred.

The reference for the can of tea could very well be a press coloration. I found that reference here.

East London Advertiser
      Saturday, 6 October 1888.
      Cheers.

There was about 1/4" of rain in Whitechapel that night with 100% cloud cover, according to the weather report here;

General London report said;
      " Dull morning; fine day; sudden heavy rain at "9.5p.m." lasting till after midnight"

Comment

A few mentions of rain in Berner St, for what they're worth;

Dr Blackwell said at the inquest "it was a very mild night and was not raining at the time. There was no wet on the deceased's clothes". He arrived at the club at 1:16

Matthew Packer said in his Evening News interview that the couple he sold grapes to stood opposite the club in the rain until sometime after midnight. He also says it was because of the rain and consequent lack of trade that he shut up shop at this time.

There are several reasons not to trust his tale entirely, not least PC Smith, who said "to the best of my recollection, it rained very little after 11pm".

And William Marshall, asked about his sighting (at appprox 11:45pm);
        "Did it not rain then?"
        "No, it did not rain until nearly 3 o'clock"

Comment

Working...
        X