Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Board of Works and Ripper/Torso Sites (Compiled info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

these are from the East London Observer, 13 February 1886, jerryd.
    Attached Files
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

This is Dr Loane's report, as reported in the East London Observer two weeks later on 26 February 1886.
      Attached Files
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Thanks RSD,

That's interesting stuff! Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
          Thanks RSD,

That's interesting stuff! Thanks for posting it.
          Yes, Robert, that is indeed very interesting. The Rev. Sam Barnett himself (among others) targetting 26/7 Dorset Street and Millers Court exclusively is very telling.

Comment

Minutes of the Board

This archive does not have the records for 1888 for some reason. The newspaper reports carried some of the proceedings for 1888, however. The Whitechapel District seemed to meet on Mondays. I will post some of those reports at a later time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Yes, Robert, that is indeed very interesting. The Rev. Sam Barnett himself (among others) targetting 26/7 Dorset Street and Millers Court exclusively is very telling.
              Sorry for opening up an old thread, but, I have a bit of new information to add, and speaking of the Rev. Samuel Barnett in the last few posts; Henrietta Barnett (his wife) opened up a playground for children on the, then, vacant burial ground land on Bakers Row.

In 1879–80 Henrietta Barnett, working through the Kyrle Society’s Open Space Committee (forerunner of the National Trust) and a lease to the Whitechapel Board of Works, arranged for the burial ground to be adapted to be a park for children – Baker’s Row Recreation Ground, from 1896 Vallance Road Recreation Ground.

Credit to this publication:
              Survey of London | Vallance Gardens, Vallance Road

The important part of the clip is that the land was leased to her by the Whitechapel Board of Works. Just another BoW owned property close to a ripper murder site.

Comment

Deleted. Already had it included in this thread.
                Last edited by jerryd; 05-28-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post

Thanks, Debs, Abby and Gareth!
                  Fabulous maps very detailed and interesting thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Fabulous maps very detailed and interesting thanks for posting
                    Thanks Christian.

Comment

Your a master of research Jerry first class. You need to write an article about all this. are you still onto wildbore as a possible torsoman and or torsoripper?
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Yes, very interesting indeed Jerry.

Comment

Thanks Abby and Gary.

Abby, someday I may find time to collect all my thoughts in one place in written form. I do still hold Wildbore as a legitimate person of interest in the Whitehall case. At least as an accomplice. Unfortunately, my idea is mostly circumstantial at the moment mixed with some common sense. One day the right piece of information may surface, who knows? The Board of Works line of thought has been interesting for me in terms of research. George Lusk is an important figure in further BoW research. I also think that William Wainwright is of interest regarding the BoW.

Comment

Definitely worth pursuing, congrats on what you've found so far!
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                              Definitely worth pursuing, congrats on what you've found so far!
                              Thanks Dusty.

Here are a couple of threads on William Wainwright if you haven't seen them before.

Wainwright's Suicide - Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century
                              (jtrforums.com)

William and Thomas Wainwright - Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century (jtrforums.com)

In the very first post in the first link above, Howard's clip states William Wainwright was suspected in the murder of Harriet Lane. If true. that is very important. Then William and an employee of his both commit suicide within days of each other in 1892. Think of the irony supposing William Wainwright had anything to do with the Ripper murders in 1888. His brother, Henry Wainwright, was known as the "Whitechapel Murderer".

Comment

If I'm reading this correctly, The Whitechapel Board of Works would have most likely overseen the construction of the Commercial Street Tramway in 1888.

Knight's Local Government and Magisterial Reports: With Statutes ..., Volume 4

Last edited by jerryd; 05-29-2021, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X