Tabbard Street East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    "Countryman" Melborne - Friday 3rd October 1924.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Tabard street runs down South East from the Borough and runs into old kent road (A2). Just south of the river, in Southwark area.

Pat....

Comment

Found this handy site for London streets that have had their names changed, which might be useful. Not in this instance, alas.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Hey SC,
          Bath Street runs off Brady Street, opposite the east end of Buck's Row. Well, one does, there may be others. There's also a Bath Place off it, perhaps this is the Bath Passage mentioned, it does look rather narrow.

Thanks Josh, I think you might be onto something here. If the red line on the map below is Bath Street, then Ivy Street & Friday Street are perhaps some of the streets joining it?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Tabard street runs down South East from the Borough and runs into old kent road (A2). Just south of the river, in Southwark area.

Pat....

Thanks Pat, but the Tabbard Street I'm trying to find was supposed to be in Whitechapel somewhere near Mile End Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
              Found this handy site for London streets that have had their names changed, which might be useful. Not in this instance, alas.

https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/St...reet_Names.htm

Thanks again Josh, curious that Ivy Street, Friday Street don't appear? I wonder whether they were completely redeveloped? The same might be true for Tabbard Street, perhaps?

Comment

On a side note:

One of the Harrison, Barber & Co, horse slaughterer, addresses was Tabard Street, Southwark.

There is a "Ripper" letter of 24 September 1888:

The writer of the letter claimed: I am horse slauterer and work at... Keep the Boro road clear or I might take a trip up there...

Could it be that the writer alluded to the Harrison & Barber horse slaughterer in Tabard Street, not far from Borough Road ("Boro Road")? The Nichols crime scene was close to the Harrison & Barber slaughterhouse in Winthrop Street.

@The Station Cat:

You can try to find a "Tabbard Street (Mile End Road) here:

Start with sheet 329 where the Whitechapel Road becomes the Mile End Road, and then continue with sheet 330, 331, 332, 333... above and below the Mile End Road you can see all of the streets. Use the search function above each sheet to find another sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Brett View Post
                  On a side note:

One of the Harrison, Barber & Co, horse slaughterer, addresses was Tabard Street, Southwark.

There is a "Ripper" letter of 24 September 1888:

The writer of the letter claimed: I am horse slauterer and work at... Keep the Boro road clear or I might take a trip up there...

Could it be that the writer alluded to the Harrison & Barber horse slaughterer in Tabard Street, not far from Borough Road ("Boro Road")? The Nichols crime scene was close to the Harrison & Barber slaughterhouse in Winthrop Street.

@The Station Cat:

You can try to find a "Tabbard Street (Mile End Road) here:

Start with sheet 329 where the Whitechapel Road becomes the Mile End Road, and then continue with sheet 330, 331, 332, 333... above and below the Mile End Road you can see all of the streets. Use the search function above each sheet to find another sheet.

Thanks Brett, all very interesting stuff!!!

Comment

It appears that Catherine EDDOWES (and her family) had connections with Tabbard Street (Southwark), could it be that PC SCHOLES had been detailed to go down there to conduct enquiries (house to house) perhaps. If so surely he wouldn't have been alone, are there records of enquires being conducted in Southwark about EDDOWES after her death?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                      It appears that Catherine EDDOWES (and her family) had connections with Tabbard Street (Southwark), could it be that PC SCHOLES had been detailed to go down there to conduct enquiries (house to house) perhaps. If so surely he wouldn't have been alone, are there records of enquires being conducted in Southwark about EDDOWES after her death?

Not sure SC, but they were looking for Eddowes ex-husband, Thomas Conway, after her death. He was living in York Street, Walworth which is a few blocks south of where Tabard Street merges with Kent Road on the south end.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                        Not sure SC, but they were looking for Eddowes ex-husband, Thomas Conway, after her death. He was living in York Street, Walworth which is a few blocks south of where Tabard Street merges with Kent Road on the south end.

Thanks Jerry, seems a possibility, otherwise why mention the street name at all. I wonder whether over the years, memories have become confused..........

Comment

Working...
                        X