Tabbard Street East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabbard Street East?

Can anyone tell me whether Tabbard Street East once was? I assume it no longer exists as I can't find it on google maps. I believe it was on or near to Mile End Road?

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    Can anyone tell me whether Tabbard Street East once was? I assume it no longer exists as I can't find it on google maps. I believe it was on or near to Mile End Road?

SC,

The only thing close that I can find on old maps is "Tabard Street" in Southwark.

Comment

I've found this handy site of old London street names

But sadly it only has the Southwark Tabard Street that Jerry found.

Are you sure you're not looking for Tabbard Gardens East?
      Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 12-03-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        I've found this handy site of old London street names

But sadly it only has the Southwark Tabard Street that Jerry found.

Are you sure you're not looking for Tabbard Gardens East?

To be honest Josh, I'm not entirely sure?

Was Tabbard Gardens East on Mile End Road?

Comment

Scholes of the Yard by GS Burroughs page 12 - Saturday the 29th of September in the early hours of Sunday the 30th September 1888, PC Scholes was patroling his beat in Tabbard Street East, at the wrong end of Mile End Road.

Was just curious as to where this was?

He also makes mention in a newspaper article "I was a constable on patrol duty in Mile End Road, it was a memorable night there had been a Lord Mayors show, whilst I was on duty Jack the Ripper committed two of his murders in the very street that I was."

It would appear that perhaps he is getting the night of the double event mixed up with the night of the Kelly murder? Any thoughts? I suspect that he is referring to Strides murder if he was on Mile End Road? So assume that Tabbard Street East was in St George in the East somewhere?

Comment

Apologies! That was my attempt at a joke, based on the impossible-to-locate street in the Wallace murder case....it was fictional....and I'm starting to suspect this one is fictional too.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
              Apologies! That was my attempt at a joke, based on the impossible-to-locate street in the Wallace murder case....it was fictional....and I'm starting to suspect this one is fictional too.

The below newspaper article is were I'm getting it from. Seems a bit odd to make up a random street? Unless of course he's been misquoted? It does certainly appear that the Double Event and Kelly's murder are becoming confused, so perhaps street names are as well?

But having said that there can be no ambiguity about Mile End Road, that exists , if he was going to make up a story why did he not just put himself in Dorest Street or something? It's not as if Scholes is rewritting history like Ben Leeson did for the Coles murder, when he claimed to be the first person to arrive on scene when he responded to Thompson's whistle.....................
              Attached Files

Comment

Scholes of the Yard by GS Burroughs page 12 - Saturday the 29th of September in the early hours of Sunday the 30th September 1888, PC Scholes was patroling his beat in Tabbard Street East, at the wrong end of Mile End Road.

Was just curious as to where this was?

He also makes mention in a newspaper article "I was a constable on patrol duty in Mile End Road, it was a memorable night there had been a Lord Mayors show, whilst I was on duty Jack the Ripper committed two of his murders in the very street that I was."

It would appear that perhaps he is getting the night of the double event mixed up with the night of the Kelly murder? Any thoughts? I suspect that he is referring to Strides murder if he was on Mile End Road? So assume that Tabbard Street East was in St George in the East somewhere?

I wonder whether Tabbard Street East is in fact being confused with East Arbour Street? If he was patrolling Mile End Road, then this would suggest he was stationed at Arbour Square Station? In two different newspapers he says his beat was on Mile End Road (in one article he says at the wrong end on the night of the double event). If he was on East Arbour Street, that would put him on the wrong end of Mile End Road, but pretty much on Commercial Road (he also makes mention of it leading to the docks, which Mile End road doesn't but Commercial Road does) and very near Berner Street, hence his claim that the murder took place on the very street he was on?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Newspaper article, where the mystery stems from...................
                  Attached Files

Comment

Newspaper article, where the mystery stems from...................

From the Kentish Mercury 3rd August 1883. This Tabard Road appears to have been in Bow, so can't be the Borough one? Bow is certainly nearer to Whitechapel? There's a Wickham Close near Stepney Green, has this been renamed from Wickham Place? Could this be where Tabard Street was??
                    Attached Files

Comment

From the Kentish Mercury 3rd August 1883. This Tabard Road appears to have been in Bow, so can't be the Borough one? Bow is certainly nearer to Whitechapel? There's a Wickham Close near Stepney Green, has this been renamed from Wickham Place? Could this be where Tabard Street was??
                      There was a Tabard Court which was just south of Bow in Lodore Street E14 (Poplar). Its location is now taken by the St Frideswides Mission, which was the real location for the TV series Call The Midwife, although the nuns left it to go to the midlands in the 60s.

Wickham Close is a new road (1999)named after the tower block that used to be there called Wickham House which was named after a place in Sussex, Wickham Green.

Comment

Originally posted by yen_powell View Post
                        There was a Tabard Court which was just south of Bow in Lodore Street E14 (Poplar). Its location is now taken by the St Frideswides Mission, which was the real location for the TV series Call The Midwife, although the nuns left it to go to the midlands in the 60s.

Wickham Close is a new road (1999)named after the tower block that used to be there called Wickham House which was named after a place in Sussex, Wickham Green.

Many thanks for this information Yen. I don't think it'll be the Poplar one as that would have been covered by K Division. Interestingly the Wickham Place/Tabbard Street is in fact the Borough one, so the Bow location is incorrect in that newspaper report.

Also Scholes never served in L Division (Borough) so it's anyone's guess where the journalist got Tabard Street from? I mulling over the possibility that it's perhaps a misquote of Arbour Street? If he'd been posted to that station, then that would explain why he was patrolling Mile End Road?

If Bow can be confused with Borough then why not Tabard and Arbour?

Comment

"Countryman" Melborne - Friday 3rd October 1924.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Going off topic slightly if I may, no trace of Tabbard Street can be located.... interesting whilst working on another project I came across some other streets that clealry existed, but can find no trace of them either? Even using this 1891 map.

Old Bailey case....

DONALD WATERS (Police Inspector, J). On June 26th, a little after 10 p.m., I heard a whistle in Whitechapel Road—I saw the prisoner running, followed by a number of persons—I gave chase—after running about 100 yards in Ivy Lane, Friday Street, Bath Street, I overtook him in Bath Passage—we struggled—a constable came to my assistance—he continued to struggle, and kicked me in the leg, but did not hurt me much—other roughs got round—he was conveyed to Bethnal Green Police-station by two constables—

Ivy Lane, Friday Street, Bath Street & Bath Passage, all appear to have been near Whitechapel Road and relatively close to Bethnal Green Station and yet I can find no record of them or confirm there locations? If someone else can shine some light on this for me, I'd very much like to hear from you.

Comment

Hey SC,
                              Bath Street runs off Brady Street, opposite the east end of Buck's Row. Well, one does, there may be others. There's also a Bath Place off it, perhaps this is the Bath Passage mentioned, it does look rather narrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X