Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Durwood Street is the only location left we’re you can get some kind of sense of the murder site?

I’m pretty sure that’s the location left out of some tours too.
    Hi,
    Not to sure of that anymore, last time I looked it was closed off due to the construction of Cross rail taking place.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
      Am I right in thinking that Durwood Street is the only location left we’re you can get some kind of sense of the murder site?
      Your best bet is the arched entrance and cobbles of Gunthorpe Street, which was once the way to George Yard buildings. It's only a short stretch of walkway, and not exactly the site of Tabram's murder, but it's still atmospheric.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I’m going to London again for my annual break in October but I think I’ll avoid ripper tours as everything’s disappearing. Gareth’s right though that Gunthorpe Street is atmospheric and worth a visit. The White Hart’s a nice pub too. Two years ago me and a friend tried to see Durward Street but we couldn’t get near it due to road works. I’m not sure if it’s accessible now or even if there’s anything left to see? I’ve been on around 6 tours and none of them went to Durward Street or Henrique Street. I don’t think that Duvall Street even exists any more?

Only just seen Spyglass’ post. Yes it was a Cross Rail thing.
        Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-17-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Was there ever any effort or movement to preserve these sights?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Was there ever any effort or movement to preserve these sights?

c.d.
            Not as far as I’m aware c.d. but I don’t think that the suggestion of preserving murder sites would have gone down very well. It’s a pity that there isn’t film footage of Mitre Square as it was though (and the other sites come to think of it.) The best that we get is the very short bit of footage taken in the yard of 29 Hanbury Street in The London Nobody Knows. Pity they didn’t film James Mason walking from the street to the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Not as far as I’m aware c.d. but I don’t think that the suggestion of preserving murder sites would have gone down very well. It’s a pity that there isn’t film footage of Mitre Square as it was though (and the other sites come to think of it.) The best that we get is the very short bit of footage taken in the yard of 29 Hanbury Street in The London Nobody Knows. Pity they didn’t film James Mason walking from the street to the yard.
              The pity is Herlock, they need to see beyond the "murder site" thing, these were historical sites, the few that existed a few years back had an atmosphere about them, Mitre sq in particular could be visited on a Sunday or even late at night and, it would be so quiet, peaceful. Sounds mad doesn't it? I had visited the site at silly hours of the morning (because I worked nearby & finished work at 01:30) in winter, dark and cold but, I could sit there and imagine how it was back in 1888, I really liked being there, now though, it's lit up like a football stadium, it's too open and, has lost all atmosphere. God knows what the Durward st site will look like once they've finished but, it's possible they'll destroy that too, what really annoys me is, they seem to have targeted the Ripper sites, I'm sure that monstrosity in Mitre sq could have gone somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1n View Post
                The pity is Herlock, they need to see beyond the "murder site" thing, these were historical sites, the few that existed a few years back had an atmosphere about them, Mitre sq in particular could be visited on a Sunday or even late at night and, it would be so quiet, peaceful. Sounds mad doesn't it? I had visited the site at silly hours of the morning (because I worked nearby & finished work at 01:30) in winter, dark and cold but, I could sit there and imagine how it was back in 1888, I really liked being there, now though, it's lit up like a football stadium, it's too open and, has lost all atmosphere. God knows what the Durward st site will look like once they've finished but, it's possible they'll destroy that too, what really annoys me is, they seem to have targeted the Ripper sites, I'm sure that monstrosity in Mitre sq could have gone somewhere else.
                I visited Mitre Square last year at the end of a ripper tour with John Bennett and there was a grass centre! I’m not sure if anything will survive of Durward Street when the work is complete? Pretty much everything directly related is gone unfortunately.

Comment

There is, I think, some grass and brickwork areas to sit on but, it's just another boring concrete seating area - very boring.
                  I do actually have one sett from Mitre sq. It was before the recent rebuild, probably 4 - 5 years ago, there was a damaged part of the setts awaiting repair, there were 3 or 4 loose one's just lying there and people were just walking by it.....

Comment

My little Ripperoligist standing as close to the 'scene' as we could guess in Feb 2018. This was about where the 'park bench' was that stood there for many years after the last redevelopment in Mitre Square.
                    Attached Files

Comment

How it used to be (2011)Click image for larger version

Name:	Church Passage from Mitre Square.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	667503
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

And again:Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square Escape 1 %28St James Passage from Mitre Square%29.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	667504

Comment

And more (2011):Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square Escape 2 %28looking back through St James%27 Passage towards Mitre Square%29.JPG
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	667505

Comment

More from 2011:Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square from Church Passage.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	667506

You can just see the old bench in the far corner.
                            Last edited by Bridewell; 08-24-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

2011 again:Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square from Mitre Street.JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	667507

Comment

And finally - before everyone gets bored:Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square from St James Passage.JPG
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	667508

Comment

Working...
                                X