Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete

Hi all,

Just passed through Mitre Square, and sad to see it now almost completely paved over....no more cobbled Square remains.

Regards

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
    Hi all,

Just passed through Mitre Square, and sad to see it now almost completely paved over....no more cobbled Square remains.

Regards
    I had the same experience on Saturday.

Steve

Comment

Going, going, almost gone.

There will be no more places for the Ripper Walks to walk to soon. Progress.....don't ya just hate it?

Regards
      HS

Comment

Such a shame. Even though it had already changed a lot since 1888, there was still a remarkable atmosphere about Mitre Square; I wonder if that will survive?
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam

You can't help wondering. I was in London in September of last year and did the JTR walk. To be honest I was expecting Rumbelow like the previous year but it was someone else. Mitre Square was half covered in scaffold and I thought about how much the buildings would begin to encroach.
          One day the Ten Bells will be a Poundland!

Regards
          HS

Comment

I took a friend on a tour round the murder sites at the weekend, or as close as you could get. Mitre Square is sort of now open...

Comment

Just been there myself, very sad that it's pretty much "gone", nothing you can get any sort of ambience from anymore. In fact I'm curious to know whether indeed it's still called Mitre Square as there's no sign stating as much?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                Just been there myself, very sad that it's pretty much "gone", nothing you can get any sort of ambience from anymore. In fact I'm curious to know whether indeed it's still called Mitre Square as there's no sign stating as much?
                Still Mitre Square...

Comment

..."Public realm enhancement"?

A new low for consultant-speak!
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

"Just enhancing the public realm, our kid."

Comment

Personally, I tend to look at modern progress in this way.
                      I ask myself "Would the locals from 1888 like an open, bright Mitre Square of today or have it as it was..namely poorly lit, dirty and enclosed one of 1888?"

You bet they would have preferred today's version.

So for me..the change betters the place. Lets face it, nobody would want it as it was..covered in horse muck, dimly lit and clearly dangerous to walk there. The historical, romantic view isn't realistic in 2017. It isn't exactly St.Paul's Cathedral.
                      i.e. not worth keeping as was. Dorset Street as was? Berner Street as was?..no thanks.

Someone was once murdered in Mitre Square.
                      Nothing to celebrate imho.

One can still show respect there.

Phil
                      Last edited by Phil Carter; 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM.
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                      Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                        I ask myself "Would the locals from 1888 like an open, bright Mitre Square of today or have it as it was..namely poorly lit, dirty and enclosed one of 1888?"

So for me..the change betters the place. Lets face it, nobody would want it as it was..covered in horse muck, dimly lit and clearly dangerous to walk there. The historical, romantic view isn't realistic in 2017. It isn't exactly St.Paul's Cathedral.
                        i.e. not worth keeping as was. Dorset Street as was? Berner Street as was?..no thanks.

Phil

Yeh, I'll have that Phil. Good point well made!!!

Just out of interest, would one of those blue plaques be in poor taste?

Comment

At least the name hasn't changed, what was once a relatively quiet place to sit and think is now a modern toilet, whoever designed this abomination should hang their head in shame.
                          I'm sure it was a good earner for them. Still looks like a crappy modern open space where, to the casual observer, nothing of note could ever or would ever happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post

Phil
                            Hi,

Nah!! I realise that there has to be change over time, and I realise that places like Mitre Sq don't have to be saved just because someone was once murdered there.
                            My objection to this sort of thing is that London should still look and feel like London.
                            With all these gleaming tall sterile office blocks and white souless open areas sprouting up everywhere, London now feels and looks like many an identikit US city.
                            At this rate it won't be long before our black cabs are painted yellow.
                            Go to Paris, they still have the same looking streets with the same cobbles and still with the musket shots inbedded dating back to the revolution.

Regards

Comment

Am I right in thinking that Durwood Street is the only location left we’re you can get some kind of sense of the murder site?

I’m pretty sure that’s the location left out of some tours too.

Comment

Working...
                              X