Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitre square - sets, what happened to them when it was renovated last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre square - sets, what happened to them when it was renovated last year?

Just something that comes to mind every now and then, I realise that not many, if any, of the sets in the square were original, but they were possibly the last things that looked or made the square look like it did back in 1888 and, we can always dream some of them were there then.

Curious to know what happened to the sets when the square was vandalised by the developers last year or so?

Originally posted by Rob1n View Post
    Just something that comes to mind every now and then, I realise that not many, if any, of the sets in the square were original, but they were possibly the last things that looked or made the square look like it did back in 1888 and, we can always dream some of them were there then.

Curious to know what happened to the sets when the square was vandalised by the developers last year or so?
    When we take up setts and they aren't going back down our contractor puts them in a big pile in one of his storage yards for re-use at a later date. They need a bit of cleaning up with a hammer usually to get the pointing off or remove yellow lines, but when I have to repair an old sett road, new is not good, they take a long time to weather in.

I had to buy in secondhand setts when repairing large areas of Wapping Wall and filling in a stats trench in Shoreditch/ Bethnal Green a few years ago because we ran out of our own stored items and they are not cheap, especially as the size varies so much so getting a match is not always easy.

Bucks Row/Durward Street will be getting a make over in the near future due to the new Crossrail station works. It will be interesting to see if there is still a sett carriageway under the black top surfacing, I will try and grab a souvenir if there is.

Comment

I'm glad someone explained that, I thought the place was infested with badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by yen_powell View Post
        When we take up setts and they aren't going back down our contractor puts them in a big pile in one of his storage yards for re-use at a later date. They need a bit of cleaning up with a hammer usually to get the pointing off or remove yellow lines, but when I have to repair an old sett road, new is not good, they take a long time to weather in.

I had to buy in secondhand setts when repairing large areas of Wapping Wall and filling in a stats trench in Shoreditch/ Bethnal Green a few years ago because we ran out of our own stored items and they are not cheap, especially as the size varies so much so getting a match is not always easy.

Bucks Row/Durward Street will be getting a make over in the near future due to the new Crossrail station works. It will be interesting to see if there is still a sett carriageway under the black top surfacing, I will try and grab a souvenir if there is.
        Yen,

If you ever get wind of them digging up the setts in Breezers Hill, please let me know.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          Yen,

If you ever get wind of them digging up the setts in Breezers Hill, please let me know.

Gary
          There are plans brewing right now for Pennington Street and its associated side roads like Breezers Hill. I'll let you know when the plans are up for consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by yen_powell View Post

Thanks yen_powell for the info, very interesting. The Bucks row development will be very interesting. Once again, thanks for the info.

Comment

Thanks, Yen.

Comment

Working...
              X