Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural Manifestations at Crime Scenes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural Manifestations at Crime Scenes?

I recently had it alleged to me that for many years after the crime, into the 20th century in fact, the spot in Mitre Square where Katherine Eddowes body lay sometimes glowed faintly in the dark. Leaving aside the question of whether or not it's true, has anyone else ever heard that? Or, for that matter, has anyone else ever heard, believable or not, allegations of supernatural manifestations connected with the murder sites? If so, I'd love to hear them.
    - Ginger

Yes, definitely heard that.

I think I heard it on a Documentary.
    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      I recently had it alleged to me that for many years after the crime, into the 20th century in fact, the spot in Mitre Square where Katherine Eddowes body lay sometimes glowed faintly in the dark. Leaving aside the question of whether or not it's true, has anyone else ever heard that? Or, for that matter, has anyone else ever heard, believable or not, allegations of supernatural manifestations connected with the murder sites? If so, I'd love to hear them.
      I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have a book I found on a second hand book stall at a book fair. It's written by Pamela Bell and titled "Jack the Ripper - A Psychic Investigation" with the tag line 'The compelling paranormal search for the killer's true identity'.

It's not a book I would recommend as a serious attempt to illuminate the facts, few as they are, but it might pique your interest if the paranormal interests you.

Comment

Thank you both!
        - Ginger

Comment

IIRC there was quite a debate on the pre-crash boards about this. The Mitre Square 'manifestation' is apparently quite well known. Also, there is or was on the site of 29 Hanbury Street a brewery, and I understand that there have been, or were, certain 'manifestations' in one of the offices.......I bet there were!

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            IIRC there was quite a debate on the pre-crash boards about this. The Mitre Square 'manifestation' is apparently quite well known. Also, there is or was on the site of 29 Hanbury Street a brewery, and I understand that there have been, or were, certain 'manifestations' in one of the offices.......I bet there were!

Graham
            That's fascinating. The "manifestation" is news to me. The brewery would be, I suspect, the Black Eagle Brewery. Mrs. Long referred to the brewery's clock when establishing the time that she saw the man and woman talking outside #29 on the morning of the murder.
            Last edited by Ginger; 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation
            - Ginger

Comment

It is halloween next week, a time when supernatural phenomenon are at their highest (if you subscribe to the tradition). Perhaps the faint red glow of the cobbles in Mitre Square will be seen again.

I believe the Ten Bells and the redeveloped Dorset street area are said to be haunted by Ripper victims. Not sure how much of that is tourist fodder, but if you're in the area next Wednesday...

Comment

Budding ripperologists putting down luminol to see if they can find Eddowes blood.

Patricia Cornwell getting up to more mischief.
                Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                  It is halloween next week, a time when supernatural phenomenon are at their highest (if you subscribe to the tradition). Perhaps the faint red glow of the cobbles in Mitre Square will be seen again.

I believe the Ten Bells and the redeveloped Dorset street area are said to be haunted by Ripper victims. Not sure how much of that is tourist fodder, but if you're in the area next Wednesday...
                  I would hazard a guess that more than 5 people died violent deaths in the East End's long history. But perhaps only 'Ripper' victims are allowed to leaves their mark.

Comment

The dead will haunt the earth
                    Souls that none would grieve
                    Beware the restless spirits
                    That return on Hallows Eve!
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Wilfred Owen, 1893 - 1918

I am the ghost of Shadwell Stair.
                      Along the wharves by the water-house,
                      And through the cavernous slaughter-house,
                      I am the shadow that walks there.

Yet I have flesh both firm and cool,
                      And eyes tumultuous as the gems
                      Of moons and lamps in the full Thames
                      When dusk sails wavering down the pool.

Shuddering the purple street-arc burns
                      Where I watch always; from the banks
                      Dolorously the shipping clanks
                      And after me a strange tide turns.

I walk till the stars of London wane
                      And dawn creeps up the Shadwell Stair.
                      But when the crowing syrens blare
                      I with another ghost am lain.

Comment

That's a blast from the past, Gary. I remember reading that poem at school.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                        X