Miller's Court Demolition Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    Just posting this room sketch done at an 1886 murder scene at Cannon Row, Woolwich because it has some room dimensions noted on it which seem small but accommodates the same amount of furniture etc. as room 13.
    I noticed that the interior wall here is labelled as a 'wood partition' the passage in this case is what we would call a hallway now and is indoors. I wonder if the wood partition is an original dividing wall or that the front door opened straight in to the front room originally?
    Anyway, maybe it's of some use.

Pretty much. Reverse the house so that room is 13 Millers Court.
    Widen the room so that the hallway comes into the room through a nailed up doorway.
    Wood partition is often paneling for insulation and decoration. In that case they are inexpensive walls.
    Last edited by DJA; 02-22-2018, 03:21 AM. Reason: Widen not lengthen.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
      And would this mean that IF the lean-to was added later, then so was the arch extension that hovers over Mary's door?
      I agree with your point Richard, you have that archway in your model right inline with the doorpost. As is depicted here in the pic. below.

So if room 13 was added later, then so was the room above the passage and much of the rear of No.27.

It's not easy to justify that much work.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
        excellent.
        Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
        - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I'd agree with that, Debra, and my model works with that yellow arrowed window. But why is that 'window' (red arrow) even there? does that signify that rooms 19 and 13 (the lean-to) were added AFTER the main Dorset street house was built?
          Well done Richard

You seem to be getting the hang of this Millers Court lark.

And very well done Simon. You found a hitherto unknown window on the back wall of #26 which proves that Kelly's room and the room above were a later extension to the house almost certainly built at the same time as the court. The bit of window we see would have been left to throw light on the main stairwell of #26 which otherwise would have been dark as hell.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Stephen,
            Wouldn't that window give us a clue to the location of #13 'partition' door?
            on the #27 side we see the same configuration of windows - the slot window below the eaves, then another window below it which would be positioned directly over the windows below (the ground floor window being the back window to mcCathy's shop which faced into the court). So, if we mirror this to #26 we have the 'hidden' window which would have been in the ORIGINAL back wall to #26 (before the lean-to was built) and so below this we would have either windows or doors in direct line with the 'hidden' window. That window is 3ft from the passage wall and so could it be that Mary's (partition) door in the to-be-built #13 would be 3ft from the passage wall? - and also #19's door would be directly above it and directly below the 'hidden' window?

Also: That 'slot' window (below the eaves) would be a 'skylight' window to light the stairs surely?

That 'hidden' window looks like it was hidden inside the sloped roof of #19 and only exposed in the demolition photo because most that the slope roof has been removed.

Also:
            "And very well done Simon. You found a hitherto unknown window on the back wall of #26" - Stephen, Did you know about this window already? is it common knowledge?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            Well done Richard

You seem to be getting the hang of this Millers Court lark.

And very well done Simon. You found a hitherto unknown window on the back wall of #26 which proves that Kelly's room and the room above were a later extension to the house almost certainly built at the same time as the court. The bit of window we see would have been left to throw light on the main stairwell of #26 which otherwise would have been dark as hell.
            JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
            JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
            ---------------------------------------------------
            JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

The partition door is evident in police 'photos of Mary Kelly's body.
              It was nailed shut.

26 and 27 were possibly limited to 3.5 floors due the walls shared with their neighbors.

The parlor and it's second floor similarly.
              The chimney is obviously not an add on.
              Look at next door's chimney. Same wall.

If 13 was an add by Miller,it would be for tenants.
              Not mentioned in earlier Censuses.
              Last edited by DJA; 02-24-2018, 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Dave,
                The three window configuration we see on #27 is mirrored in #26. #27 has no sloping roof to block the lower middle window but #26 does have the slope roof of #19 with the middle 'hidden' window partially within the roof space. Why would they put a window there in the original build? Indeed, IS it a window?
                I'm only going by the windows in the back wall of #27 which certainly do have three windows (slot, middle 7 large) which agree with the sketch. On the sketches there is no 'hidden' middle window evident on #26

What ever that hole is, it is right in the sloped roof space of #19

BUT, to me it is a perfect mirror of the middle window in #27 and it's location is curious!

The partition door is evident in police 'photos of Mary Kelly's body.
                It was nailed shut.

26 and 27 were possibly limited to 3.5 floors due the walls shared with their neighbors.

The parlor and it's second floor similarly.
                The chimney is obviously not an add on.
                Look at next door's chimney. Same wall.

If 13 was an add by Miller,it would be for tenants.
                Not mentioned in earlier Censuses.

Comment

Looks like the top of a doorway to me.
                  Just have a feeling it is related to access somehow.
                  Cat flap does make sense

Doubt it is a mirror image of next door's window.

Again,suspect the parlor was added to the plans during construction.
                  I really don't know.

Comment

"Doubt it is a mirror image of next door's window."

Why? It's clearly in the same configuration as #27's windows. both houses (front and back) are mirrors of each other apart from the addition of the #13/#19 (possible) addon. #27 is 3ft wider due to the inclusion of the over-arch space but regardless, the front windows, the front attic windows, the back slim eaves windows, the main windows & the back attic windows match, so why not that middle rear window?

I do agree, however, that the chimneys for #13/19 look to be original but I guess that IF they build a whole court in the back garden of #27#26 then a chimney stack would not be too much more work.

interesting !

Looks like the top of a doorway to me.
                    Just have a feeling it is related to access somehow.
                    Cat flap does make sense

Doubt it is a mirror image of next door's window.

Again,suspect the parlor was added to the plans during construction.
                    I really don't know.
                    Last edited by richardh; 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Dave,
                      The three window configuration we see on #27 is mirrored in #26. #27 has no sloping roof to block the lower middle window but #26 does have the slope roof of #19 with the middle 'hidden' window partially within the roof space.
                      Richard.

I tend to agree with you about the apparent mirror-image concerning the placement of those rear windows.

The windows in the different colours here indicate the mirro image of the design.

My apologies for the wavering lines.

One of the problems with identifying this small window is that there appears to be an amount of rubble on the roof of the extension behind No.26.
                      In fact we cannot see the bottom sill of the larger window to the left of this small window.
                      We can't be sure what is being obscured by all that rubble.

If you notice, the side of the roof on the extension has a wall (indicated in green), which is not shown on contemporary press sketches.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WINDOWS  DETAIL.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	667296

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Is this an optical illusion or is the front wall (or part of it) of #19 /#13 demolished and we are seeing the continuation of the chimney breast (red arrow) with the roof being held up by supports (Green Arrow)?

I can see the down drainpipe at the corner of #19/#13 (below image - blue arrow) but what is the thing that appears like a drainpipe (yellow arrow)? More supports?

I appreciate that we can see the whitewash walls of #13 on the side and front.

Comment

Window frame.

Comment

More accurately,the right hand window panes.
                              Just depends on the Sun's angle and the the way the picture is developed.

Comment

THE DEATH OF MARY KELLY EXPLAINED:

Comment

Working...
                                X