Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVV,

Apologies for not meeting your very high standards.

MrB

Comment

I think it was sort of unusual for a single woman to have her own room like that, and she was in danger of losing it...at least she was way behind on the rent, so one assumes she was close to being kicked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
        I think it was sort of unusual for a single woman to have her own room like that, and she was in danger of losing it...at least she was way behind on the rent, so one assumes she was close to being kicked out.
        Hi Brenda,it was more unusual for a landlord to allow a tenant to have arrears landlords in those day were not known for their charitable deeds.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Pink,

So there were more single young women living alone in the East End than there were people behind with their rent???

MrB

Comment

Union

Hello David. Thanks.

Well, NOT if cooler heads prevail.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hi Pink,

I agree that the degree of Kelly's arrears was pretty extraordinary. But so was the fact that she effectively had a self-contained flat in the heart of vastly overpopulated Spitalfields.

I can't believe those facts weren't connected. A family connection to McCarthy, perhaps, or a business arrangement with fringe benefits? Who knows, but the upshot for Jack was that he struck pay dirt in finding somewhere he could carve away to his heart's content.

MrB
              Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-03-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                Hi Pink,

I agree that the degree of Kelly's arrears was pretty extraordinary. But so was the fact that she effectively had a self-contained flat in the heart of vastly overpopulated Spitalfields.

I can't believe those facts weren't connected. A family connection to McCarthy, perhaps, or a business arrangement with fringe benefits? Who knows, but the upshot for Jack was that he struck pay dirt in finding somewhere he could carve away to his heart's content.

MrB
                It is quite possible McCarthy exaggerated, or even invented, the debt with the expectation her family would provide recompense.

And, I don't think we have data on how many single women lived alone, but remember, her condition as 'single' was not planned, it was an unfortunate circumstance.

I'm sure she was a Ripper victim, but on the slender chance she was not, then Fleming is the first suspect on my list.

I suspect her 'single' condition was coincidental to her murder. She picked up her final client on the streets, in my opinion, and he likely had no knowledge of her circumstances.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'day Mr Barnett

Hi Pink,

MrB
                  But she wasn't a single woman for most of the time she had the room, first there was Joe and then it seems a number of fellow down and outers.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'day GUT,

By all accounts she was the lone tenant of the property, and the only occupant at the time she was killed. A spin through census returns for the time will show how unusual that was.

Unless Jack was already aware of the fact, he was pretty lucky to hit on a Spitalfieds prostitute with her own self- contained premises.

MrB

Comment

Not a crime of passion that was made to look like a Ripper murder then?

Comment

Hi Pink,

MrB
                        Hi Mr Barnett,could Hutchinson have been poor Mary's pimp it would explain his behaviour and it might be why he invented his well dressed jewish gentleman suspect.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                          Hi Mr Barnett,could Hutchinson have been poor Mary's pimp it would explain his behaviour and it might be why he invented his well dressed jewish gentleman suspect.
                          Of course it's possible. Problem I have with that idea is that either Mary and her client were set for the night, in which case what was the point of hanging around, or it was supposed to be a relative 'quickie', in which case Hutch would have been banging at the door within the hour to make sure the punter wasn't getting more than his money's worth.

MrB
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-04-2014, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                            Not a crime of passion that was made to look like a Ripper murder then?
                            A dagger to the heart or a good beating is a crime of passion.
                            What happened to MJK went beyond that, I believe.

MrB

Comment

Of course it's possible. Problem I have with that idea is that either Mary and her client were set for the night, in which case what was the point of hanging around, or it was supposed to be a relative 'quickie', in which case Hutch would have been banging at the door within the hour to make sure the punter wasn't getting more than his money's worth.

MrB
                              What if Hutchinson left Kelly and her client together and then went out to find another client for her .

Comment

A dagger to the heart or a good beating is a crime of passion.
                                What happened to MJK went beyond that, I believe.

MrB
                                I disagree, MrB. A crime of passion can also be impulsive and wild. Many a victim has been butchered by their ex-lover in such a manner. It could be that after the initial frenzy had died down, the killer decided to make his victim (rather clumsily) resemble the handiwork of the local Ripper at large and deflect any suspicion from himself. Suffice to say, if this was what happened, it worked like a treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X