Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently watched movies

I just rented and watched Knocked Up - which I thought was pretty darn funny. I didn't make it to the theatre to see Sweeny Todd, or P2 but I really want to see those.

I think I want to watch the spiderwick movie too.

Anyone seen any of these, or watched a good movie lately? I need to know what to look for in my video store.
    "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

No Country for Old Men!

Knocked Up was funny.

Farther back The 40 Year Old Virgin.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi BK-
      You MUST see Sweeney but would suggest that you locate the Lansbury Hearn version first to see how it SHOULD be done!
      Movies I can watch for ever (and to be honest I'm not a great movie fan) and NOT in any preference order!!! A lot of these may be tricky to get I guess.........but well worth the hunt! Now this list may say more about ME here but hey...........

The Green Mile
      Das Boot
      Cabaret
      The Boyfriend
      Gettysburg
      Equus
      Life of Brian
      Holy Grail
      Singing in the Rain
      Top Hat
      Spartacus
      Ben Hur
      Jaws
      and there's loads.......well a few more
      What's that wonderful thing with George Clooney as a convict with the 'Soggy Bottom Boys'.......hubby's asleep......which I should be- or else I'd ask him!

Suz xxxx
      Bed now!
      Last edited by Suzi; 03-07-2008, 12:47 AM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Sweeny Todd was great loved it. Also watched a subtitled film called "Them" which was excellent,very creepy. "Run Fat Boy Run" was ok though not as funny as the trailer makes it seem.Hi Suzi, that one's called "O Brother Where Art Thou"
        I'm The Normal One.

Comment

For over and overs Dr. Strangelove and Rear Window.

For true-crime White Mischief and Young Poisoner's Handbook.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I've seen the lansbury one, Had to watch it when doing theater in college. Good show. Now I"m psyched to see the new version.

Oh man I love the green mile, that's a great movie, then again I love watching forest gump too. I started superbad last night, but didn't get very far, I had to go to bed because my throat has been killing me the last two nights.

I did watch why did I get married, and that rocked. I love Tyler Perry movies. Madea is the bomb.
            "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Hi Blackkat,

I agree with the above, re Sweeney Todd .. it's great,
              and there are 'those' pies ....
              The Bob Dylan bio/doc 'I'm not there', is excellent especially
              with 'our Cate' .. but unless you are into Dylan, maybe not.

A swedish film 'As it is in Heaven' has been on continuously in
              independant theatres here in Sydney for over two years.
              I was very dubious about it but eventually saw it, it is just so good,
              so many human emotions, frailities and subtleties .. I intend to see it again,
              the audience clapped at the end. I have read in some theatres, there
              have been standing ovations.
              Going back a bit 'The illusionist' and 'The Prestige' are both fantastic,
              especially 'The Illusionist'.

happy viewing,
              Victoria
              "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
              of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

It's been out a couple of years, but I just received a belated holiday present -- Hogfather (originally a book by Terry Prachett). It's an "official movie" in my mind since Sir Ian Richardson was in it (he was the voice of Death). I quite enjoyed it. Pratchett's imagination is superb and who can resist a villain that makes your skin crawl or inside humor that we can all recognize. It's 3 hours long (originally on TV I suspect) so it's a long experience, but worth it.
                “Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him.” -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

Well now you come to mention it,
                  Years ago i was a manager of a busy video/dvd rentail/retail store and built up a massive collection of videos and Dvds!

recently watched would include,
                  Prestige
                  Illusionist
                  Stardust
                  Saw 4
                  Rat-a-too-ee (don't ask me to spell it)
                  From Hell (with the commentary for the Ripper net podcast)
                  Elephant Man
                  Jaws
                  Halloween (Rob Zombies version)
                  Ghostbusters 1 and 2 (my son loves them)
                  Disney Cars, Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (the kids!)

My fave movies would be
                  Jaws,
                  Halloween (origional)
                  Psycho
                  Wicker Man (origional)
                  Goonies
                  Lost Boys
                  Shawshank redemption
                  Usual Suspects
                  Desperado
                  The Saw films
                  The Rambo films
                  The Rocky films
                  anything by Jackie Chan (the older the better)
                  anything with Christian Bale, or Ed Norton, Pacino or De-Niro, and Mark Wahlberg.

I loved Rambo 4 and was sat like a little kid in the cinema, but Stardust was magical and made me feel like a kid even more.
                  I thought Claire Danes was amazing in it, and pretty hot.
                  As was Michelle Pffifferererere (or whatever her name is) i had a major crush on her in Grease 2 and Batman Returns!!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Jana-
                    The wonderful Terry's Hogfather was screened over Christmas a Christmas or so ago.I thought it was 'OK' but lets face it putting Pratchett onto celluloid aint easy. (Mind you I'd watch Iain Richardson in an Insurance advert!)
                    I hear they've made and premiered 'The Colour of Magic' and that 'The Light Fantastic' is in production for general release..must find out some more!

Suz x

Cheers Notaro........That's the baby!
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Recently watched movies.

" August Rush " a really wonderful film for anyone who is musically inclined, really moving and for those of us who know little about music its a real revelation of how music works or indeed composed by talented musicians, I loved this film so much that I watched it twice on the plane coming home instead of getting some sleep. I thoroughly recommend it.

" The Other Bolegne " In my humble opinion was excellent too. With Scarlett Johanssen as Mary Bolegne and it shows the ruthless ambition of her sister Anne Bolegne who was prepared to do absolutely everything, in order to secure the power of the British throne. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

- Maria

Comment

I just downloaded 'The Cottage'. It was kind of a criminal-wanabees meets the Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. It may have been the late hour, but I loved that movie.

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

Welcome back Maria,

hope you had a nice time in Tuscany, will look out for
                          'August Rush' .. sounds good.
                          Sounds a bit like describing the way music came through Mozart,
                          but not from him.

I enjoyed 'The Other Boleyn Girl' also, I like most period dramas,
                          Eric Bana was only so so though .. but it really was more about the two female roles.

Victoria
                          "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
                          of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                            Hi Jana-
                            The wonderful Terry's Hogfather was screened over Christmas a Christmas or so ago.I thought it was 'OK' but lets face it putting Pratchett onto celluloid aint easy. (Mind you I'd watch Iain Richardson in an Insurance advert!)
                            I thought that one was excellent! I lucked up into getting a recording of the broadcast and burned it to DVD. Lyn and I watch it several times a year.

I hear they've made and premiered 'The Colour of Magic' and that 'The Light Fantastic' is in production for general release..must find out some more!

Suz x

Cheers Notaro........That's the baby!
                            From what I saw, the Easter broadcast of "Colour of Magic" was a re-edit of both that novel & "The Light Fantastic" with Terry himself doing the rewrite. Terry cut some of the scenes from the books and tightened up the story a bit. Some of my friends in England who keep up with TV productions have told me that the next movie should be either "Going Postal" or "Making Money", but since both of those novels have the same lead character I'm betting that it will be a combination of both books. Personally, I'm waiting for films made from the books with Sam Grimes & the Nightwatch characters, and for ones from the Lancre Witches characters. Somehow, now that the live action movies are being made, the two animated films are less favorites of mine than they once were.

As for favorite movies of mine, a list would have to include:
                            The Thin Man series staring William Powell and Myrna Loy
                            The Thing From Another World - the original B&W version
                            Rocky Horror & Shock Treatment
                            The Day the Earth Stood Still
                            Earth Versus the Flying Saucers
                            Plan 9 From Outer Space
                            All the Godzilla movies
                            Almost anything that Vincent Price ever did
                            Buckaroo Banzai
                            Blast From The Past

And all sorts of old horror movies, screwball comedies, sci-fi, and anime...

Vila
                            "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
                            Dan L Hollifield
                            Senior Editor/Publisher: Aphelion Webzine
                            http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

Comment

I recently watched "The Assassination of Jesse James.." with Brad Pitt which was excellent and a nice film.

We went to cinema for "Rambo 4" which was a guilty pleasure!!

I watched both "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof" recently which were both pretty good, although "Planet Terror" was the better of the two films.

I have so many, and with having little ones we rarely get to watch "our" films, instead it has been "Lion King" and "Bambi" day in day out!!
                              Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X