Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer

I just wanted to say I stumbled on this website about a year ago, I love it's little sounds and graphics, but of course I was intrigued by the beer they boast of, local to England.

Last night we were lucky to find it sold in a store here in Phoenix, AJ's, a local specialty store. Oh, that beer was so good! I'm not a big drinker, more wine when I do, but this was delicious. Wondered if anyone here has had it, their thoughts on it or any other good beers I can buy somehow someday, lol.

...and if anybody has been to Wychwood? Looks fun

Hi Barbara

So which beers did you try? There are some very good ones...

Wychwood Hobgoblin's a splendid rich, slightly sweet beer...5.2% in the bottle or can, but 4.8% draught in a pub...I have spent many a happy night on it, but by goodness you pay the next day! Worth a good tasting though!

One of my other long-term favourites, Robinsons Old Tom is even worse - 8.5% - which is really far too much to be a decent session beer...

In season, Harveys Christmas Ale (only available from the barrel, mostly in Sussex Pubs, and generally only a couple of months of the year) is formidable...but again, at over 8%, one to be drunk only with caution!

Nowadays I tend to stick with Marstons Pedigree whenever I can - It's a pale Ale, not too sweet, and at 4.5% I can live with myself next day!

All the best (hic!)

Dave

Comment

Got the Wychwood Hobgoblin, delicious! Only had a third of a glass, (so I guess I escaped the wyches revenge) we split it three ways. My mom made a wonderful pork roast and we just tried just the one bottle. That is how I think beer should be, like food or something. Craving it today.

I'm going to make note of those others and try to find them over here. Marstons Pedigree, eh? Harveys Christmas Ale sounds more like New Years

I would love to go over there and sit in a pub in some small country town or even expensive old London while it's just pouring out, having one with a dinner of a roast and cheese.

My kind of heaven

Comment

Good beer and bad

My old Grandad (The Sussex one) told me when I was 16 or so, "Don't drink beer in London...but if you must, then drink Bass - they can't mess with Bass"...

Growing up, when I did it probably wasn't bad advice...I can, whilst on work-related courses in the seventies in London, recall being told JC and C was the best beer available (half and half Courage Best and Courage Directors)...not bad, but not Youngs (who nobody mentioned then in those far off days of two and a penny a pint in Brighton - three and six in London -which on Decimalisation magically became 13pence and 20-odd pence) ... God some of those pubs served dross...Watneys...oh god...

In Liverpool it was even worse...Greenall Whitley I think the stuff was called...later on with a lager added to the range...Grunhalle! Tasted like soap suds...

Being a Sussex boy I tended to stick to Harveys when available, Whitbread Pompey Royal when not, Gales Horndean Special Bitter when I ventured westwards...

More recent experience in London tells me it's much, much better now...so maybe one day Barbara!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X