Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Some People Really Believe the Earth Is Flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the earth round, or is it flat? I guess it depends on who's sat on it.

Comment

I love the big Flat Earther argument that "you only think the world is round because you were told that all these years" but they KNOW the Earth is flat because of a youtube video hahaha

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        And I wonder how much will go into research and how much into pockets
        It looks like he might have an ulterior motive: https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/9...ing-conspiracy

Comment

If the Earth isn't flat, then how do "spirit levels" work?

been following this site for a while, and love some of these "Oldies but Goodies"

Comment

Sadly idiocy tends to be contagious.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Sadly idiocy tends to be contagious.
              And the Internet spreads it like crazy.

c.d.

Comment

I wonder how flat earthers explain the sunrise and sunset.
                The sun rises in the east, buggers off to the west.
                And miraculously appears back in the east again without making the return journey from the west.
                Or perhaps the sun goes under the flat earth during its return journey and nobody notices that the whole earth has plunged into darkness.

I’m sure they’ll have a great explanation and that we do all truly live on a giant earth and water pizza

Comment

I've never really understood the reason behind the so called conspiracy to keep people ignorant of the "fact" that the earth is flat. Can anybody enlighten me?

c.d.

Comment

Yabs: it is really quite simple. The sun drops below the flat earth in the west, and zooms faster than the speed of its own light, underneath the great tortoise that supports the flat earth, and reappears in the east. At any time, the earth has the sun's light. Hope that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Dupin View Post
                      Yabs: it is really quite simple. The sun drops below the flat earth in the west, and zooms faster than the speed of its own light, underneath the great tortoise that supports the flat earth, and reappears in the east. At any time, the earth has the sun's light. Hope that helped.
                      Hi Dupin, now you’ve explained it, I can’t believe I’ve spent all this time thinking so spherically.
                      However, if the sun did travel at faster than it’s own light, it would appear on the horizon of the east slightly before it perceivably submerged into the west, giving the illusion of two suns which is opening up a huge flat can of worms.

Regardless of this minor detail, I’m a convert.

I’m gonna pop to the pub and have a flat beer to celebrate, then I’m going to relax and listen to my flat Eartha Kitt album.

Comment

I used to visit the Flat Earth forums for shits and giggles. I remember there was one guy who had a signature that said something like "Pope Innocent III thought the Earth was flat, Adolf Hitler thought the Earth was round. Who are you going to believe?"

Scary thing is you don't know if these people are serious or not.

Comment

I took this picture in Inverness last year.
                          Zoom in on some of those "facts" displayed on the posters. They are superb......

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                            Okay, I have found definitive proof that the Earth is not flat. This is because the earth is actually hollow:

Check out Admiral Byrd's diaryhttp://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/tierra_hueca/esp_tierra_hueca_2d.htm

Since a two dimensional object (i.e. a flat object), can not be hollow (a definite three-dimensional requirement), this prooves that the earth is not flat.

#suckitflatearthers
                            And yet pop tarts exist.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              I've never really understood the reason behind the so called conspiracy to keep people ignorant of the "fact" that the earth is flat. Can anybody enlighten me?

c.d.
                              You’re making a fatal error c.d. You’re trying to apply reason. Rarely a good tactic with conspiracy theorists. It’s like trying to teach a hippo to play backgammon.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                                Sadly it's true. (not that the earth is flat but that a lot of people believe it is)

Lately they've been hooking up with the Mandela Effect looneys and "There is no moon" nimrods to pool their "evidence" and create conspiracy theories of truly mind-numbing proportions.
                                Honestly the Mandela Effect has more credibility than the "no moon" and flat Earth people. Quantum physics is hella weird, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it turned out there were parallel universes... I mean of course, the obvious answer is mistaken memory, but given how odd existence can be in general, I'd not be massively shocked.

The Earth and moon, I mean you can literally observe that.

Comment

Working...
                                X