Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montague John Druitt : Whitechapel Murderer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vote - rather belated I recognise - was a 5.

I cannot rule him out because MM said he had info, and I don't think he would outright lie, nor was he (in my estimation) a fool.

On the other hand, the phrasing of the memo strongly suggests that his purposes in citing the three names were less than final - only "more likely than Cutbush" - and MM may have had an unspoken agenda in either seeking to articulate a public line to move speculation away from the Met, or from SIB/Fenian issues (if his remark about someone who tried to kill Mr Balfour is to be taken at all seriously).

So I remain on the fence. MJD was "named" at the time, and nothing yet advanced has ruled him out of contention.

However, I am MUCH less of a strong defender now than I was 30-35 years or so ago, when I was a confirmed Druittist. More has come out now - about Ostrog, Kosminski, Tumblety etc (again all names from the period) and i suppose I have changed.

I fully anticipate that material (even evidence) may emerge to exhonerate MJD completely (though I suppose if any hint, fragment or jotting relateing to MM's personal info ever emerged it might just go the other way!).

But my money these days is on a local lad - Kosminski or similar - and maybe one who killed only three of the C5 - Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes - (plus perhaps a few earlier victims as yet unidentified).

Phil

Comment

• Hi John Ruffels,

You ask when the West of England MP story first emerged?

I cannot say for certain, but have just checked "The Ripper Legacy" [published 1988] and it does not seem to appear there. I also checked Paul Begg's "The Uncensored Facts" [published 1989] and nothing there either.

You say you cannot find it in your 1993 copy of the "A-Z", yet I have it in my copy [published 1994] attributed to The Bristol Times and Mercury 11th February 1891. Whilst the actual source for this is unclear this A-Z version mentions a Criminolgist article "The Ripper Case: New Evidence" [published spring 1993]. This Criminologist article might be the original source but I have never read it it, however I guess Stewart Evans would likely have a copy and may be able to throw more light on the matter.

For many years I beleived that the Bristol Times version was the only source, until quite by accident I stumbled upon the Hull Daily News version, which I think must have come from a press agency as it seems to have appeared in a variety of different newspapers.

Rgds
      John

Comment

• Much Obliged John S..

Thanks John Savage,

So, back to square one.

One thing which frustrates me about Ripper students in reference to Druitt, is how they often do no further research themselves, but go on to say, there is no new or additional proof, therefor, Druitt is innocent.(Not you John S.).

There are several gaps spanning years, in Druitt's life about which we know nought.

Of course, on the evidence proffered so far, you couldn't hang the man. (If he weren't already dead). But I just get irritated by that being used as an argument.

Rise up from your armchairs all you U.K. bound sleuths! See what others have already found.

I'm afraid the fact Montague Druitt played so much cricket, healthy as outdoor sport is, does not convince me that therefor, he cannot also have been a serial killer.

I will add one counter argument to show a modicum of fairness: if Druitt was a cricket tragic, who would travel anywhere to get a game, why weren't women murdered in the provinces too?

Did JTR only abhor East London prostitutes?

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnr View Post
          Thanks John Savage,

I will add one counter argument to show a modicum of fairness: if Druitt was a cricket tragic, who would travel anywhere to get a game, why weren't women murdered in the provinces too?

Did JTR only abhor East London prostitutes?

JOHN RUFFELS.
          Thats a good point.
          I have been thinking that prostitutes take payment beforehand..i.e. engaging in a sex act with client.
          So JTR would have paid her first which means he had money. But no money was found on the victims? no money at all? which suggests he robbed them. I'm sure these busy working girls would have scored at least one trick before meeting their demise?

Comment

• Hi John R,

If the ripper travelled secretly to the East End to commit his murders, I suspect it was because he was already a secret regular user of its prostitutes and knew the territory, the women's habits and the score, making the transition from leaving them alive to leaving them dead and - where possible - mutilated, a lot smoother and less troublesome for him. I would look for him among punters who were reluctant payers and expected to get their jollies for nowt, or next to nowt.

Not only would killing in other places have given him a new set of potential problems to overcome (and that would apply equally if he was a 'local'), but it would have come with the additional risk of connecting him with his crimes via his known movements, eg sporting, work or social engagements.

It would have been a foolish Monty to commit murder in just Whitechapel and the places where and when he happened to be playing cricket. And of course, if "Dr. D" was a "woman hater", like "Dr. T", it was unlikely that he had any previous experience chatting up or being chatted up by the typical prey.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Frustrating We Cannot Locate Details of Farquharson's Theory

Nice and clear Caz,. Thanks.
              And logical too IMHO.
              If he killed Stride and was the man seen smoozing her, with a bonnet and grapes, he must have been able to reassure his, desperate, but doubtless wary, victims.

I think it is frustrating we cannot get the full details of West of England M.P., Farquharson's theory.
              Which is surprising, given the press story said he sounded out lots of people with it. But obviously, he only discussed it with chosen persons..
              Did he ever put it in writing?

Given the, then current, fear of defamation proceedings, it is a wonder a journalist did not recycle the story in full - without fear- a safe number of years later.

I wonder if anyone could put a link here to that Spring, 1993 article from 'The Criminologist' ?
              The one John S cites above, "The Ripper Case: New Evidence.".

The question of the 'West of England Member's' articles first emergence is still
              unanswered.

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Working...
              X