Schneider' Cap Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schneider' Cap Factory

In Buck's Row near where Mary Ann Nichols as murdered was Schneider's Cap Factory. I've just come across an article about Victorian cap making which includes some info about the founder of this business, so thought I'd post a link.

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    In Buck's Row near where Mary Ann Nichols as murdered was Schneider's Cap Factory. I've just come across an article about Victorian cap making which includes some info about the founder of this business, so thought I'd post a link.

http://www.history-pieces.co.uk/Docs...hapel_1851.pdf
    Oh, fascinating!
    - Ginger

Comment

I wonder if that's where the ripper got his peaked cap? ; )
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I get the feeling that the Ripper changed his hat at each killing. Anyone else think the same? It would have been the easiest way to avoid detection as most of the hats described were worn by Joe Public/Average. Changing clothes also comes to mind, but if the Ripper was not particularly well off, or he was coming/going to work then that would not make much sense. Also he would be looked upon as being quite suspicious if he was seen using a laundry area more often than was deemed necessary.

Comment

There is no doubt that investigators couldn't contain witness descriptions because the press got hold of the witnesses and got their stories. All JtR had to do was get hold of a copy of Illustrated Police News to see what people thought he looked like for any particular murder involving witnesses.

Also, did you know that mercury used in hat making drove people 'mad'? That is where the term Mad as a Hatter comes from.

Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

There is no doubt that investigators couldn't contain witness descriptions because the press got hold of the witnesses and got their stories. All JtR had to do was get hold of a copy of Illustrated Police News to see what people thought he looked like for any particular murder involving witnesses.

Perhaps this is where the Ripper had one over everyone. The Press got to the witness first allowing the Ripper to be one step ahead. And the Ripper was most likely to be local as these papers would have been printed for the local area first. Not really sure what was on his side- Luck, Insider Knowledge, Police Incompetence or possibly all three.

Comment

Working...
            X