What should my wife read first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my wife read first?

My wife has taken interest in the Whitechapel murders and wants to start reading up on it. My first ripper book was "Jack the Ripper Companion" followed by Cornwell's. Obviously Cornwell's or any other suspect driven book is not a good one to start with.

For starters I was thinking:

1) "The Complete JTR" by Rumbelow
    2) "JTR Comprehensive A-Z"

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by dantheman; 12-17-2016, 12:01 PM.

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
    My wife has taken interest in the Whitechapel murders and wants to start reading up on it. My first ripper book was "Jack the Ripper Companion" followed by Cornwell's. Obviously Cornwell's or any other suspect driven book is not a good one to start with.

For starters I was thinking:

1) "The Complete JTR" by Rumbelow
    2) "JTR Comprehensive A-Z"

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan
    Hi, Dan. Good for you. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I suggest Sugden. I think the most readable and accessible for those just getting started.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Rumbelow. I refreshed myself on the case by getting the updated "The Complete JTR" awhile back, and enjoyed it very much. I was particularly impressed by the opening chapter, which sets the scene for Whitechapel at that time by giving us facts about the levels of poverty and the demographics of the area.

Paul Begg's "The Facts" could be another good one to start with.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to buy the Sudgen book for some time but haven't got around to it. The Complete JTR it is then since it's already in my library, though I don't think it's the updated version.

Comment

Working...
        X