Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lion Yard

Colleagues,
    Can anyone tell me where Black Lion Yard was situated in 1888? Can anyone point me to a map that shows the streets between which it was located? I don't believe it exists any longer but could be wrong. Does anyone know any businesses, landmarks or doss houses that were located there. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Cheers!

Hi Barrister,

From the 1888 Post Office Street Directory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B LION YARD 1888.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	666113

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Barrister,

Below is an 1868 map, but matches with Simon's post.

Comment

Hi (again) Barrister,

Rob House wrote a dissertation here on casebook which took into consideration geographic profiling as it related to Aaron Kosminski. I'm not posting this in regard to Kosminski, and I hope Rob doesn't mind my re-direction of his dissertation, but if you look at the circle around the crime scenes, scrolling down the page a bit here, you will see the yellow dot (center) is about a block west of Black Lion Yard.

I thought that was quite remarkable.
        Last edited by jerryd; 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

If you read the piece headed Employment Exchange in the article below it mentions Black Lion Yard.

Comment

An interesting fact, but not connected to what you asked:

Dr.Morgan Davies (the London Hospital medic accused of being the Ripper by D'Onston Stephenson) was actually born in Black Lion Yard.

His father was a 'cow-keeper' as were several of the residents in the street.

Amanda

Comment

Thought he was Welsh.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I believe there was a dairy, complete with cow shed and several cows in nearby Old Montague Street.
                Last edited by Rosella; 06-25-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                  Thought he was Welsh.
                  His father was Welsh & moved to London. Morgan was born in London but his mother died when he was young, so he spent his youth growing up between his fathers home in Black Lion Yard and his grandparents farm in North Wales.

Amanda

Comment

Black Lion Yard, was also the location where fence Leon Beron, was known to frequent some twenty odd years after the Whitechapel murders. He was of course found murdered on Clapham Common, Steinie Morrison being convicted of his murder.

As indicated, Black Lion Yard is at, or near to, the Geographical centre of the Whitechapel(Canon) murders.

Comment

Thanks so much. I will find it. I know Rob's research and have always found it excellent.

Comment

Ar far as landmarks go, if you look at the map I provided, a few blocks east on Whitechapel Road on the south side, you will see Effington Saloon. That later (1880) became Wonderland. During the period we are concerned with, Wonderland hosted mainly Yddish Theatre acts and I think freak shows. Later on, it also became a venue for boxing matches. The site changed names often over the years and apparently burned down several times. The proprietor was named Jonas Wolf [Woolf].

Comment

And unfortunately the street no longer exists.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wasn't Black Lion Yard basically a row of shops with accommodation above?

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi Barrister,

From the 1888 Post Office Street Directory.

[ATTACH]16869[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Simon
                              Funnily enough, the John Davies listed here is Morgan Davies' father.

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                              X