The Long Island Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
    I just watched something on 4oD and I'm sitting here in New York.
    Hi, SRA,

How did you watch it?

On your computer, or on cable?

Thanks,
    curious

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
      Hi, Beowulf:

Not in the JtR sense, but some stories are calling him a "ripper."

He dismembered his earlier victims.

Do you think the size of Massapequa has a bearing on this? How? If you don't mind sharing.
      I really have no idea but I will say this, Massapequa is a pretty dangerous place. It's packed, with a lot of unwholesome characters, too, I might add.

It's in Nassau County, which in itself has a lot of city people because it's closer to Manhattan. I'm from Suffolk County, a large county and I came from half way out in it, right across from Gilgo Beach. It's very quiet and empty. Lived on LI long ago. It back then was understood, watch your p's and q's in Massapequa, it did not have a good rep.

It's funny, I can feel sorry for the Whitechapel girls much more easily than I do for the LI ones. Those Whitechapel 'unfortunates' were REALLY unfortunate. Working for a meal for heavens sakes, and lodgings for a night.

I do feel sorry for the girls on LI that were murdered, but I feel the LI girls easily could've avoided that lifestyle. They are not destitute. They are looking for fast money, easy money. However, I hope like mad they catch this guy, they suggest it may be more than one. Seems unlikely to me, but...

Btw, here is a live cam of Gilgo Beach:

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
        I really have no idea but I will say this, Massapequa is a pretty dangerous place. It's packed, with a lot of unwholesome characters, too, I might add.

It's in Nassau County, which in itself has a lot of city people because it's closer to Manhattan. I'm from Suffolk County, a large county and I came from half way out in it, right across from Gilgo Beach. It's very quiet and empty. Lived on LI long ago. It back then was understood, watch your p's and q's in Massapequa, it did not have a good rep.

It's funny, I can feel sorry for the Whitechapel girls much more easily than I do for the LI ones. Those Whitechapel 'unfortunates' were REALLY unfortunate. Working for a meal for heavens sakes, and lodgings for a night.

I do feel sorry for the girls on LI that were murdered, but I feel the LI girls easily could've avoided that lifestyle. They are not destitute. They are looking for fast money, easy money. However, I hope like mad they catch this guy, they suggest it may be more than one. Seems unlikely to me, but...

Btw, here is a live cam of Gilgo Beach:

http://www.bungersurf.com/Bunger_Surfcam/
        Thanks so much, Beowulf.

I do see your point about the women of Whitechapel actually being more sympathetic because their circumstances were so truly hopeless, selling themselves for a bed for the night or food.

I hope they catch the guy to get him off the streets.

Interesting about Massapequa's reputation. No way journalists can ever write about that angle, I think . . .

One thought that came immediately was to wonder if it is possible the killer did not contact the woman via Craig's List, but was hanging out around a motel.

But would everyone he grabbed have been a Craig's List poster? What would be the odds?

Need more coffee!

curious

Comment

Dave:
          Here's what I found online: Rights agreements mean that our 4oD service is only available in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, (although C4 does not always have rights for programmes in ROI). Even if you are a citizen of the UK or ROI you cannot access the service from abroad.
          Systems based on the video server determining your location are laughably ineffective. All you need is a proxy presence on a machine with an IP address on a British network. There are actual services that rent those - that's how I watched the Olympics live in the US. http://www.freeproxylists.com/uk.php has enough to get you started.
          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            Systems based on the video server determining your location are laughably ineffective. All you need is a proxy presence on a machine with an IP address on a British network. There are actual services that rent those - that's how I watched the Olympics live in the US. http://www.freeproxylists.com/uk.php has enough to get you started.
            thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
              Ginger,

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much for educating me in an area about which I knew nothing.

I've just watched the show and have marveled with my sister, whom I had to call just to tell her about such things. Of course, I knew from watching NCIS that something like that could be done, but, without your help, I would never have known where to look or how to go about it.

Thanks so much!

curious

Comment

Ginger,

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much for educating me in an area about which I knew nothing.

I've just watched the show and have marveled with my sister, whom I had to call just to tell her about such things. Of course, I knew from watching NCIS that something like that could be done, but, without your help, I would never have known where to look or how to go about it.

Thanks so much!

curious
                You're most welcome! Pleased to be of service.
                - Ginger

Comment

Hi, SRA,

How did you watch it?

On your computer, or on cable?

Thanks,
                  curious
                  On my computer.
                  Managing Editor
                  Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                    On my computer.
                    Thanks, I was expecting that as you live in NY you probably have access to things that I don't in Tennessee.

Comment

I noticed in the show that the last two women who vanished did not take their telephones with them. Did you all catch that?

Two women vanished after Shannan Gilbert and neither took a cell phone.

So, was Gilbert's disappearance and her call to 911 make the news to such an extent that the killer then started having the victims leave their phones behind?

Was she on the news?

Or was it someway more personal news?

curious

Comment

You say this case is ONGOING has it been solved yet or is it still being investigated? Are the police STUMPED? Could they be in need of a consulting detective?

One last question: How much important information about this case (overview, victims, suspects, mortuary reports etc. is online?

Mr Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
                          You say this case is ONGOING has it been solved yet or is it still being investigated? Are the police STUMPED? Could they be in need of a consulting detective?

One last question: How much important information about this case (overview, victims, suspects, mortuary reports etc. is online?

Mr Holmes

I don't know the answers to your questions. Perhaps you can Google Long Island Serial Killer, then the individual names you run across and see what's available.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post

Mr Holmes
                            The murders of all 10 victims are unsolved. As of November 2012, the Long Island serial killer is still at large.

The cops are indeed stumped.

Comment

The one clue police are hoping will help identify the victim is a 24 karat gold pig pendant necklace.

New remains found; 20-30 year old woman buried 30 miles from other victims in Lattingtown, NY.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post
                                http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...nassau-county/

New remains found; 20-30 year old woman buried 30 miles from other victims in Lattingtown, NY.
                                Thanks DP
                                Sounds like our man. I am sure that the body will be IDed because of the unusual necklace. Hopefully this may lead to his capture.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X