X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Debs,

I, too, am no military buff, but found this on th'interweb:

The Scots Guards (1661-present)

History: Raised in 1642 as Argyle’s Regiment (re-raised as Scottish Footguards 1661), brought on to English establishment as Scotch Guards in 1686, (Scots Fusilier Guards in 1831, Scots Guards in 1877.

Motto: Nemo Me Impune Lacessit (No one provokes me with impunity).
    My surmise (but that's all it is) is that these are different names for the same regiment, with, perhaps, the odd amalgamation along the way. I guess that would mean that a man could enlist as a Scots Fusilier Guard and be discharged as a Scots Guard if he served either side of 1877 - as if it wasn't difficult enough already!!
    Perhaps Johno Jones didn't qualify for a pension for some reason & is therefore missing from the pension records?

Regards, Bridewell
    Last edited by Bridewell; 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM. Reason: Addition
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks Bridewell. That's what I supposed at first but some things don't fit as I mentioned.

Comment

I can't find any William Hughes, born Montgomeryshire, with a sister of the right name & age to be a likely MJK. That's the first section done really, because the other William Hughes wasn't attested till 1889.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Hi Debs,

If you're doing the section which starts with John Jones (Post 20) I'll crack on with those in Post 21 - unless someone else is already on it?

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Hi Debs,

Re Joshua Hughes POWELL:

In the 1871 census he's living with his father, David, a farmer, & siblings John (20), Mary (13), Thomas (12), David (10), Sarah A (7) & a Hannah Rees (Servant) (17). Sarah A(nne) is the right age for MJK, but looks to have married in 1887, so she's out.
            By 1881, Joshua is living away from home and working as a Draper's Assistant. Mary (5 years too old?) has married a (Norfolk-born) Herbert Aylmer WIGG (Sailor) & is living with him, a child, Gwendoline (11 months), & her own father (still on the farm). I thought the WIGG family would be easy to trace, but can't find them at all after 1881, unless Gwendoline is the girl of the same name who married, in 1902, in Brentford.
            It's slightly odd that I can't find them - emigrated perhaps? - but I think them a real long shot for MJK's family.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

David Rosser seems to have been an only child, so I think he's out of the picture.

Regards, Bridewell.
              Last edited by Bridewell; 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Hi Debs,

If you're doing the section which starts with John Jones (Post 20) I'll crack on with those in Post 21 - unless someone else is already on it?

Regards, Bridewell.
                Bridewell, are you absolutely sure you don't want to tackle Lewis Jones too?! He's a pain as well.

Right, today is the last day of my sub to FMP.
                Anyone want any other soldier look ups before it ends?
                Anyone got any other ideas about what to look for with the Scots Guards and Johnto?

Comment

I can't find Michael Sheeran at all, not born in Carnarvonshire anyway.

Regards. Bridewell.

Comment

Hi Debs,

Could try permutations around John Thompson or, dare I say it, John Thomas?

Thanks for all your hard work on the Scots Guards, to date.

Regards, Bridewell

Comment

In 1871 John Henry SIMON, a draper's son, has sisters aged 12, 11 and 3 months, none of them called Mary or anything similar, and none who are close to the right age for MJK.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Hi Debs,

Regards, Bridewell
                        Thinking the same way has caused me to miss one Scots Guard born in Wales off the list. I already looked at him a week ago so he was highlighted as being 'viewed' when I was compiling this latest list.
                        Anyway, here's a Henry Thomas:

Henry THOMAS
                        Year of birth:1856
                        Place of birth:Saint Fagans, Cardiff, Glamorganshire
                        enlisted 1877 discharged 1889.
                        Next of kin Mary Evans, sister
                        Annie Thomas, sister.

Comment

Hi Debs,

In 1881, William WARMAN is living with his mother and stepfather, James Thomas, at Llanduff. He also has a sister, also Sarah & aged 6. There is no Irish connection and I can't see any point in digging deeper in his case.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Hi.
                            All of this seems frustrating, it would appear that the police managed to trace her army brother , so why can't we?,
                            Oral history has many flaws, but McCarthy tale of events ring so true.
                            How I wish fiona hadn't gone AWOL from this site, she could have been vital to the whole case .
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Debs,

Regards, Bridewell
                              Hi Bridewell. No John Thompsons or men named John Thomas worth a further look that I could see. All seem to be a lot older and had long gone by 1888, or they were Scottish.

Thanks very much for helping me out with researching them further. I think I still have today left of the sub so I might get chance to have a last peek tonight.

Comment

Hi Debs,

Have started with the William's in post 22, but have an internet connection problem (exchange fault) so may be hit & miss for a few days. Charles wasn't attested till 1900, so I've left him & Samuel has neither Irish connections, nor a sister of anything like the right age.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Working...
                                X