Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Correct, Rob.
    'Myfanwy, Myfanwy, before the mice gnaw at your bottom drawer will you say...

Yes, Mog, yes, Mog, yes, yes, yes.'

Comment

Thanks, Gary - I like it, too. Roughly translated it means "gentle/tender of heart", and it's an unusual name even in Wales, never mind the East End. Her mother Myfanwy - yes, really! - was Welsh and, despite having lived two thirds of her life in and around East London and Kent, she remained a Welsh speaker all her days.
      Gareth,

They weren't in the dairy trade by any chance? Bit of a cliche, I know, but as I'm sure you know many East End dairymen were Welsh or of Welsh origin.

Gary
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 06-26-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

No connection with the dairy trade that I know of. Auntie "Vanno" (Myfanwy) did various things, but ended up running pubs in London and, eventually, Ramsgate. Her husband was originally a Jewish tailor from Cable Street.
        Last edited by Sam Flynn; 06-26-2018, 06:16 AM.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

No connection with the dairy trade that I know of. Auntie "Vanno" (Myfanwy) did various things, but ended up running pubs in London and, eventually, Ramsgate. Her husband was originally a Jewish tailor from Cable Street.
          As a kid I was told my maternal grandfather's family came from Wales. My mum said they came from Carmarthen. The surname is Humphries(eys), which is common in Wales, so it seemed plausible.

But when I started digging into it I couldn't get beyond the East end: St Geo E, Whitechapel, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green.

I've always had a soft spot for all things Welsh, probably due to the influence of the Bard of Cwmdonkin Drive (haven't checked the spelling). And when I was in my late teens my Dad's firm relocated to Gelligaer and we came very close to moving there.

Comment

Ramsgate, jewish Tailor, i see what some would call connections to a certain other Jewish family Gareth.

Steve

Comment

Anyone wanting to get an impression of what Old London was like could do worse than pay a visit to Clerkenwell. And while there enjoy a pint or three here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	667447

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                'Auntie Mwynfron' - what a lovely name!
                That's not a name, that's a rack of scrabble tiles!

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                  the site of Dutfields Yard is now a school. there is a gate into the schoolyard that is almost exactly at the location where the entrance to Dutfields yard was but I can't make out from the picture exactly where it is.
                  Meant to post this earlier, but I was in work. The original entrance to Dutfield's Yard was just offset from where the modern school's gates are, as shown in the following photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutfield 2009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	667448

I took this at Ripperconf 2009, with some of the delegates lined up to show the way. 121 years earlier, they'd have been mown down by Dymshitz's cart
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Anyone wanting to get an impression of what Old London was like could do worse than pay a visit to Clerkenwell. And while there enjoy a pint or three here:

[ATTACH]18702[/ATTACH]
                    Nice!
                    Which reminds me...before my ripper -hunting days, I was in London with a friend, and we went to a little pub that was said to have a Ripper connection. It had the names of the victims written on a chalk board, but that's all I remember (it wasn't the first pub we visited). Any idea what pub this might have been? The only other place I remember visiting was a pub by the river which I thought was on the north bank, but have just identified as the Founders Arms, which turns out to be near the south end of Blackfriars Bridge. Are there any Jack themed pubs south of the river? Or did we somehow stagger unknowingly into Whitechapel?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                      before my ripper -hunting days, I was in London with a friend, and we went to a little pub that was said to have a Ripper connection. It had the names of the victims written on a chalk board
                      That might have been the White Hart on Whitechapel High Street (Pearly Poll, Martha Tabram and Seweryn Klosowski's old stomping-ground), where Ripper-themed chalk-boards are still on display.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

121 years earlier, they'd have been mown down by Dymshitz's cart
                        Is it possible that Louis was a big fan of Boudicca?

Comment

That might have been the White Hart on Whitechapel High Street (Pearly Poll, Martha Tabram and Seweryn Klosowski's old stomping-ground), where Ripper-themed chalk-boards are still on display.
                          Thanks Sam, that looks like it may be the place! It seems to have been done up since I visited, and I remember it being down a little alley rather than on a high street, but maybe we arrived via Gunthorpe Street....have I been on a Ripper tour without even realising?

PS I like the description on their website "Straightforward, traditional watering hole offering Thai and English food and live TV sports." - how long has Sky Sports been a tradition?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                            Nice!
                            Which reminds me...before my ripper -hunting days, I was in London with a friend, and we went to a little pub that was said to have a Ripper connection. It had the names of the victims written on a chalk board, but that's all I remember (it wasn't the first pub we visited). Any idea what pub this might have been? The only other place I remember visiting was a pub by the river which I thought was on the north bank, but have just identified as the Founders Arms, which turns out to be near the south end of Blackfriars Bridge. Are there any Jack themed pubs south of the river? Or did we somehow stagger unknowingly into Whitechapel?
                            It sounds like it might have been the Ten Bells during its 'Jack the Ripper' period. A long way from the Founders, though.

Did you take in The Blackfriars at the northern end of the bridge?

Comment

It sounds like it might have been the Ten Bells during its 'Jack the Ripper' period. A long way from the Founders, though.

Did you take in The Blackfriars at the northern end of the bridge?
                              Of course, Sam is right, it was probably the White Hart.

Comment

Working...
                              X