Klitschko vs Carnera Fantasy Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klitschko vs Carnera Fantasy Match

I once heard Bert Sugar say that Primo Carnera "kill" Klitschko. Would like to hear other boxing fans thought's on this match up?

-Dan

So sorry I missed this thread....Well, I usually agree with the late great Bert Sugar (who was in fact a friend of mine and someone I miss terribly, he was without question the most interesting, funny and intelligent person I ever met..and we had some wild times together, Bert was every bit as crazy as you can imagine... he use to tell me "When I became a lawyer, that was the LAST BAR I EVER PASSED!.. he was one of a kind!!!)..but in this case, I have to say.. Which Klitschko and at what point in his career... Yes Primo was much better than history likes to remember, and hit like a mule... so the younger Klitschko probably would have been knocked out... the older, smarter (more boring) Klitschko would have kept him at the end of a jab and probably would have won a VERY BORING decision.. And I know people will say "If Max Baer knocked him down 11 times.. Klitschko would kill him... they forget that Baer had FREAKISH power, and at that point in his life he used it (by the time he fought Braddock he was afraid to throw the right...don't believe the movie!!)

Great question.... now... he is my dream heavyweight matchups
    Mike Tyson VS. Joe Frazier.....I think it's an early KO.. could go either way... whoever lands first....

Joe Louis Vs Muhammad Ali- Ali by late round stoppage, even though I think at one point Louis gets to him and even knocks him down

and Larry Holmes VS. Gene Tunney- .. Two master craftsmen, Tunney makes a good show of it thru 9 rounds, but Holmes amazing Jab and size pushes him over the top, late round TKO after Tunney takes a terrible beating against the ropes.

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

My old man is something of a boxing aficionado, I posted him this match-up and he said quite plainly "Klitschko would box his head off". He said that Carnera wasn't anything special. He won a lot of his matches through his mob connections and lost as soon as he came up against anyone half-decent.

Comment

From watching Carnera's fight's on youtube I don't think he was that bad of a fighter. I can see him doing a Corrie Sanders on Klitchsko. However if I had to bet money then Klitchsko by dec maybe even mid to late stoppage.

Tyson vs Frazier....I've gone back and forth on this one but I pick Frazier by late stoppage. I think it would go down similar to Tyson vs Holyfiled 1, minus the headbutts.

I agree with Ali stopping Louis. Ali's style would be a nightmare for Joe Louis.

One of my dream fights is Liston vs Louis. I think Liston ko's Louis but I wonder how Sonny would deal with Louis' power.

Liston vs any of the heavyweight greats is a dream fight for me. Sonny Liston has always fascinated me. Considering what age he started boxing and what he achieved, probably the greatest raw physical talent ever. Wasn't he in his mid to late 30's when he ko'd Patteson? Imagine what he could've done had he started boxing as a kid, scary to even think about how good he would've been...lol

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
          From watching Carnera's fight's on youtube I don't think he was that bad of a fighter. I can see him doing a Corrie Sanders on Klitchsko. However if I had to bet money then Klitchsko by dec maybe even mid to late stoppage.

Tyson vs Frazier....I've gone back and forth on this one but I pick Frazier by late stoppage. I think it would go down similar to Tyson vs Holyfiled 1, minus the headbutts.

I agree with Ali stopping Louis. Ali's style would be a nightmare for Joe Louis.

One of my dream fights is Liston vs Louis. I think Liston ko's Louis but I wonder how Sonny would deal with Louis' power.

Liston vs any of the heavyweight greats is a dream fight for me. Sonny Liston has always fascinated me. Considering what age he started boxing and what he achieved, probably the greatest raw physical talent ever. Wasn't he in his mid to late 30's when he ko'd Patteson? Imagine what he could've done had he started boxing as a kid, scary to even think about how good he would've been...lol

-Dan
          I agree with you on Liston...pure talent, hard life, and ties to all the wrong people....I believe Ali (Clay at the time) did beat him the first time legitimately, Liston wasn't ready for the hurricane that was Clay, but the rematch, let's face it... he did dive.. I'm not saying the punch didn't land.. IT DID.. and it stunned him, and probably knocked him down, more from the shock of it then being hurt.. but once down.. one of the worst performances in a fix ever happened.. him rolling around like he was shot....was sad....

The only Heavyweights I think could have beaten Liston are Clay/Ali, Holmes (he was similar enough to Ali but with a better Jab.. would have given Liston fits!!) Foreman I think was too much (in his prime) for ANY heavyweight not named Ali, and believe it or not... I think Riddick Bowe.. That one will make most boxing fans do a double take.. but .. hear me out.. at his best ( AKA Holyfield 1 ) Bowe was something special... big, strong, fast and athletic.. keep up with a faster Holyfield, took all he could dish out and never missed a beat firing back....so sad his prime was only about a year and a half...plus, Bowe was built like Liston...look at their shoulders....so similar but Bowe is bigger.....I like Lennox Lewis had the skill and talent to beat him, but would have gotten cocky while wining and get caught with a big punch....Marciano... I don't think could have taken the pressure... he wouldn't have had any quit in him, but the ref would have to save him from himself ....Dempsey, too small, Tyson... I think he would have been intimidated by Liston, and when he was intimidated he was beatable....God what a fun discussion!!!

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            My old man is something of a boxing aficionado, I posted him this match-up and he said quite plainly "Klitschko would box his head off". He said that Carnera wasn't anything special. He won a lot of his matches through his mob connections and lost as soon as he came up against anyone half-decent.
            Max Baer was more than Half/Way decent....and true, Primo did have those mob connections... however, he was bigger and stronger than any others, and as pointed out by Dantheman.. watch his clips, he had talent to go along with it....Klitschko, especially early in his career, could get caught with big shots, and I think that's what Primo would do.

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Bowe and Liston do have similar builds, never thought of that before. I never liked Bowe until my adult years. I've always been a big Holyfield fan and watching him get beat by Bowe crushed me as a kid. With that being said Bowe was an amazing fighter to say the least.

Brings up another question. If Bowe didn't relinquish the WBC and fought Lewis, who would you pick? I'd pick Bowe by ko. Lewis was a much better fighter after hooking up with Emaunal Steward but I wasn't to impressed with him before that.

-Dan

Comment

I once heard Bert Sugar say that Primo Carnera "kill" Klitschko. Would like to hear other boxing fans thought's on this match up?

-Dan
                Niether were that good. Both overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                  Niether were that good. Both overrated.
                  Maybe but still makes for an interesting fight, imo.

-Dan

Comment

Bowe vs. Lewis....I have to take Lennox....as he had the fight won already...in Bowe's head....after he beat him in the Olympics final....Bowe never got over it and was so afraid of Lewis he threw the belt in the trash rather than fight him...sad thing is, at that point, he could have beat Lewis, skill wise, but it was over before it started..

I agree both Primo and Klitschko are overrated...but....still a fun question....look not every Champ ever was a legend.....RE: Pinklon Thomas, Corrie Sanders, Lamon Brewster, and the list goes on...however give them all credit....they were Champs!!!! And nothing can take that away from them, even Leon Spinx....who is THE ONLY MAN TO BEAT ALI FOR THE TITLE. Champions forever, no matter how good....or overrated....they are in the history books...

now....for another weight class.....how do you think Sugar Ray Robinson would have done against future middleweights like Hagler, or Leonard, or Jones or Hopkins.....or as a Welterweight against De La Hoya, or Pernell Whitaker, or Chavez.....fun to think about ��

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      now....for another weight class.....how do you think Sugar Ray Robinson would have done against future middleweights like Hagler, or Leonard, or Jones or Hopkins.....or as a Welterweight against De La Hoya, or Pernell Whitaker, or Chavez.....fun to think about ��

Steadmund Brand
                      I think Robinson gets a decision over Whitaker and Chavez, maybe even stops Chavez. For sure I think Robinson would ko De La Hoya, probably with a body shot. Whitaker's been dropped by lesser fighters then Ray Robinson. It's hard to imagine anyone stopping Whitaker but whats likely hood Robinson ko's him?

Hagler would be be to slow for Robinson, Hopkins is a very smart and cagey fighter but just not busy enough to beat Ray. Would love to see Hagler vs Hopkins as well! Leonard vs Robinson is a tough one but I have to pick Robinson by decision.

Roy Jones Jr. vs Ray Robinson is one of the best dream fights imo. This would be one of those fights where we need a trilogy. I think Robinson would beat him 2/3 times. Jones wins the first fight by dec and Robinson wins the next two by ko.

-Dan

Comment

How about Tyson and Foreman (Mark II)?
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Foreman wins by ko in the 5th or 6th. I think it's a bad style match up for Tyson, Foreman crushes the smaller guys.

-Dan
                          Last edited by dantheman; 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Foreman wins by ko in the 5th or 6th. I think it's a bad match up for Tyson, Foreman crushes the smaller guys. One things for sure regardless of the winner is that this fight wouldn't go the distance.

-Dan
                            Last edited by dantheman; 03-01-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Foreman wins by ko in the 5th or 6th. I think it's a bad match up for Tyson, Foreman crushes the smaller guys. One things for sure regardless of the winner is that this fight wouldn't go the distance.

-Dan
                              But note I want George II comeback George if you will.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X