Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 26 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 35 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 39 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - by Andrew Firth 41 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by John G 44 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Fisherman 60 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (40 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (33 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (18 posts)
Bury, W.H.: Bury's friend - (3 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (1 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 AM
Detective

Default Natalie's photos of Taplow/Dorney

Thanks Natalie for uploading those photos, some great shots there.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Nick,

did Foot reveal just why, after one look at the cornfield, Lord Goodman concluded that the prosecution case was nonsense? Seems a bit strange to me.

I wish O'Neill was back at Aston Villa....I was aware that he has an interest in true crime in particular the A6 Case.

Graham
Old 08-10-2015, 05:52 AM
Commisioner

What I noticed yesterday was that at the side of the Pineapple Pub is Ashford Lane which I did not go down but will do next time I go. Looking at it on Google maps you can see that from it you get a panoramic view across the fields of Dorney Reach.It strikes me that if the gunman had been dropped off at the Pineapple pub while Mr X sat and watched from the Harvester pub opposite the entrance to the Old Station Inn -both these being on the Bath Road -all Mr X had to do was ring the telephone box opposite The Pineapple Pub between 9.20-9.25 pm on August 22nd 1961 where the gunman would be waiting for the call to alert him that the couple were leaving the Old Taplow Inn [according to Mrs Lanz landlady at the Station Inn they left around 9.20 pm].The gunman would then cross Lake End Road -main road in picture - and along Ashford Lane adjacent to the pub and walk the short distance across the fields to where the car was parked in the Dorney cornfield.Ashford Land begins where the white car is parked on same side as The Pineapple pub on left of picture and alongside other parked cars in the pub car park and leads up to the Dorney fields.It is between the pub and the next houses to it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Natalie Severn : 08-10-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
did Foot reveal just why, after one look at the cornfield, Lord Goodman concluded that the prosecution case was nonsense?
Goodman was basing his decision on faulty information anyway, if Foot took him to the entrance shown in his book and claimed that is where the abduction took place.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Goodman was basing his decision on faulty information anyway, if Foot took him to the entrance shown in his book and claimed that is where the abduction took place.
Fair enough, Nick, but I don't understand why a visit to the cornfield should have prompted Goodman to say what he did. Seems odd to me.

Graham
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Fair enough, Nick, but I don't understand why a visit to the cornfield should have prompted Goodman to say what he did. Seems odd to me.

Graham
A possibly explanation may be that ,having arrived there ,and taken in the surroundings, you know, a kind of experiencing a feel for the place, the remoteness, quite solitude, of a field in a farmland setting at dusk.Then to associate all this with Ms.Storie's fantastic sequence of events, beginning here. He may well have decided right there and then, to adopt as fact "They picked a man up in Slough"
Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post
"They picked a man up in Slough"
This doesn't work for me Moste.The cornfield was a place the couple visited often.
On August 27th The People quoted a farmer's wife Mrs Nellie Climo saying ,"I have told police about the car I saw here on Tuesday night.It was in the cornfield where I have seen it several times before ." The report continued : Police are considering the possibility that the man at the Pineapple Inn walked across country to nearby Marsh Lane and found Gpregsten's car parked in a cornfield.
if there were two men involved one could have been at the Pineapple Pub situated on Lake End Road , parallel to Marsh Lane with the cornfield sandwiched between the two roads and with an approach to the fields at the back.If someone was stationed at the Harvester pub across the road from the entrance to the Old Station Inn they could have rang the telephone box across the road from the Pineapple to give the gunman the signal to cross the field or the two men could have simply sat in the Harvester car park until they saw the couple leave and followed them there and then,dropping the gunman at the field.
Picking a man up in Slough would suggest me that the couple gave a lift to a random hitchhiker who turned into a monster who after leading them on a wild goose chase for five hours at gunpoint finally pulling the gun on them them killing Gregsten and raping and shooting to kill Valerie.If that was the case then the man was a nutcase with no motive other than to kill or maim someone surely?

Last edited by Natalie Severn : 08-10-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Severn View Post
This doesn't work for me Moste.The cornfield was a place the couple visited often.
On August 27th The People quoted a farmer's wife Mrs Nellie Climo saying ,"I have told police about the car I saw here on Tuesday night.It was in the cornfield where I have seen it several times before ." The report continued : Police are considering the possibility that the man at the Pineapple Inn walked across country to nearby Marsh Lane and found Gpregsten's car parked in a cornfield.
if there were two men involved one could have been at the Pineapple Pub situated on Lake End Road , parallel to Marsh Lane with the cornfield sandwiched between the two roads and with an approach to the fields at the back.If someone was stationed at the Harvester pub across the road from the entrance to the Old Station Inn they could have rang the telephone box across the road from the Pineapple to give the gunman the signal to cross the field or the two men could have simply sat in the Harvester car park until they saw the couple leave and followed them there and then,dropping the gunman at the field.
Picking a man up in Slough would suggest me that the couple gave a lift to a random hitchhiker who turned into a monster who after leading them on a wild goose chase for five hours at gunpoint finally pulling the gun on them them killing Gregsten and raping and shooting to kill Valerie.If that was the case then the man was a nutcase with no motive other than to kill or maim someone surely?
Hi Natalie .Not necessarily, giving a lift to a random hitch hiker. The theory of a pick up in Slough, could be a more complex one. However first off, hope you enjoyed your visit, great snaps. If you traversed huntercombe lane south you will have negotiated the s-bend where the motor bike lad spotted the morris minor, supposedly before they arrived at the corn field. The link motorway road between the M4 and the A4 would not have been extant in '61, so if they had stopped for whatever reason in huntercombe lane, they were only a minute, two, at the most, from Valerie's home in Anthony way Cippenham. Always thought this to be possibly relevant, to what they were actually up to.
Just referencing Paul Foots third mention of the farmers wife Mrs Nellie Climo on paper back page 315, She maintained her husband had an altercation with Jean Justice, at there home, Foot heard from Mrs. Climo that Justice and Fox's car was parked in the same cornfield entrance to where the Morris had been parked the previous August.
I had forgotten this incident which goes some way to confirming Fox's story about leaving a beer bottle behind by the hedge by the entrance to the field, the field they had been taken to by Alphon ,a field unknown to anyone except the police, and at that time, a lone journalist in Slough!
Since no one has a theory on how the killer arrived in the field, your notion of an assisting second person being in communication from the Pineapple pub is interesting.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Detective

Since no one has a theory on how the killer arrived in the field

Yes, a massive problem for the prosecution case.

If the locus was the cornfield then everything to points to some sort of conspiracy: two persons involved at the very least. No one walks there in a sharp suit, carrying a gun and loads of ammo: they are dropped off in a car by someone else.

Either that or 'we picked up a man at Slough,' although few can easily believe this was a hitch hiker picked up in an act of human brotherhood in the fading August light. It must have been some kind of arranged meeting.

Whichever, we are surely looking at some kind of conspiracy.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Many thanks, Nats, for posting the photos.

Love,

Caz
X