What Is the Ten Bells Like Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is the Ten Bells Like Today?

I just watched a program on a psychic investigation conducted at the Ten Bells. It was very bad and it played fast and loose with the facts. According to their instruments, Kosminski confessed to being the Ripper. The interior of the pub looked pretty seedy. I had imagined it to be a little more upscale. What is it really like? Also, do they push a Ripper connection or do they try to distance themselves from it?

c.d.

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    I just watched a program on a psychic investigation conducted at the Ten Bells. It was very bad and it played fast and loose with the facts. According to their instruments, Kosminski confessed to being the Ripper. The interior of the pub looked pretty seedy. I had imagined it to be a little more upscale. What is it really like? Also, do they push a Ripper connection or do they try to distance themselves from it?

c.d.
    Rob House just became a full-on believer in the paranormal.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It's....Upmarket, distanced and crowded!

Comment

I saw that program and got a real laugh out of that!

Also, why on earth would they investigate the cellar of the Ten Bells, do they really think Jack the Ripper went into the cellar? Not going to meet a lot of girls down there Funny how they didn't get any action down there on the ole EMF meter.

Yup, they done solved it. Gee, why didn't WE all think of contacting Kosminski in the afterlife and just ASKING him, 'hey, were you Jack the Ripper'?

Comment

Don't think I have ever been into the Ten Bells, even though I used to work around the corner from there, I might have a chance to pop in there next weekend for a quick half.
          I can update you on the 'vibe' in there afterwards if you fancy it.

Comment

Drank a Coke in the Ten Bells in 2008 while doing a solo Ripper tour. The main thing that struck me was that I couldn't believe how small it was. I couldn't help but think that if it was such a popular hangout for Mary Kelly and her ilk in 1888 it must have been just jam-packed with people shoulder to shoulder in such a tight space. I know it was actually renamed the Jack the Ripper pub for a few years before being changed back to the Ten Bells, but the barman on duty the day I was there couldn't have downplayed the Ripper more.

Comment

It's been poshed up now by the look of the outside, but when I went there in about 2007ish the main bar was okay, but I got the shock of my life when I went to the toilets in the basement. It looked like the toilet scene from the film Trainspotting, filth and graffitti everywhere. I was fully expecting a drug crazed mugger to leap out at me at any moment.

Comment

We were in The Bells about a year ago on a Saturday afternoon. Found it very pleasant and not crowded at all. We had a pleasant chat with a Danish family who sat at the table beside us and we had a nice view of the church.

Didn't need to use the toilets, so can't comment on their condition.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah, that show was beyond ridiculous.

And yes, the toilets looked really nasty.

c.d.

Comment

Hello you all!

I visited London 2007. Including The Ten Bells, where something strange did happen to me.

I didn't meet Kosminski, but a girl with a light reddish hair dressed in black. I asked, if I could take a photo. She said "No!" in a polite tone...

I took the photo anyway, but there is no-one on the stool at the counter!

I thought, that they were going to demolish the pub because of the 2012 Olympics. Luckily being wrong!

All the best
                    Jukka

(PS. I only wonder, why Mary Jane Kelly had a modern day purse and clothing.... )
                    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                      Hello you all!

I visited London 2007. Including The Ten Bells, where something strange did happen to me.

I didn't meet Kosminski, but a girl with a light reddish hair dressed in black. I asked, if I could take a photo. She said "No!" in a polite tone...

I took the photo anyway, but there is no-one on the stool at the counter!

I thought, that they were going to demolish the pub because of the 2012 Olympics. Luckily being wrong!

All the best
                      Jukka

(PS. I only wonder, why Mary Jane Kelly had a modern day purse and clothing.... )
                      Well, ghosts often do show up in photos. But vampires don't!

Comment

This is an interesting post. Was the girl dressed in another period clothing? Do you think she left before you took the photo? Did you look away for a bit?

Can you put the photo up?

Comment

Hello Beowulf!

The arrow shows the stool she was supposed to sit on. No, she had a modern day black blouse and modern day black trousers plus a modern day purse. Her hair was light red!

As far as I know, I didn't watch elsewhere. At least to my knowledge, but like The Scotland Yard detectives said in an Arthur C. Clarke's documentary a long time ago: we aren't always as focused as we think we are. Obviously they would find some traces of her sudden leaving...

All the best
                          Jukka
                          Attached Files
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Cool to see the photo! Thanks for putting it up there, plus I get a peak at the ten bells

Wonder if you felt the seat if it would be warm?

Really very interesting story!

Comment

Hi,
                              By her clothing description, it has to be ''Black Mary aka 'Ginger'.
                              Regards Richard.

Comment

Working...
                              X