Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow we may know

Morning, all!

Normally, I am jealous of the profusion of material you guys have access to tv-wise. But no today! For today, SWEDISH television will broadcast a 30-minute show in which the Ripper case will be looked into. And the host of the show is none other than the professor in criminology, Leif G W Persson, also a best-selling author of crime fiction.

The thing about Persson is that he combines geniality with a never ending self-confidence, and so the programme sounds promising enough. My guess is that he will either tell me that the case will never be solved, or that he has decided who the killer was. So tomorrow we may know!

The programme is the first in a series of six, all dealing with British murder cases. The other five are Crippen, Mary Bell, Hindley/Brady, the Road Hill house murder and Christie. I promise to keep you posted about Persson´s finds as soon as possible. Maybe we can all go home afterwards ...

The best,
    Fisherman

Normally, I am jealous of the profusion of material you guys have access to tv-wise. But no today! For today, SWEDISH television will broadcast a 30-minute show in which the Ripper case will be looked into. And the host of the show is none other than the professor in criminology, Leif G W Persson, also a best-selling author of crime fiction.
    If Swedish t.v. compares at all with Swedish film, Fish, I'm sure it'll be fab. Seriously.

The thing about Persson is that he combines geniality with a never ending self-confidence
    Is it a national characteristic?

The programme is the first in a series of six, all dealing with British murder cases. The other five are Crippen, Mary Bell, Hindley/Brady, the Road Hill house murder and Christie. I promise to keep you posted about Persson´s finds as soon as possible. Maybe we can all go home afterwards ...
    I can't wait to see what he says!

Comment

Sally:

"If Swedish t.v. compares at all with Swedish film, Fish, I'm sure it'll be fab. Seriously. "

Obviously, you don´t know your David Frost ...

"Is it a national characteristic? "

Won me a ten kronor bet, that line, Sally - thanks!

"I can't wait to see what he says!"

Nor can I - but I have a gnawing suspicion that money may have entered the equation at some stage, somewhat lowering my hopes. Oh well ...

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Obviously, you don´t know your David Frost ...
        I try very hard not to, Fish..

"Is it a national characteristic? "

Won me a ten kronor bet, that line, Sally - thanks!
        I'm lost for words. Double bonus

I have a gnawing suspicion that money may have entered the equation at some stage, somewhat lowering my hopes. Oh well ...
        Doesn't it always? Still, a new perspective is always interesting. Keep us posted!

Comment

Right - just turned the telly off, after having watched Persson having a go at the Ripper.

Few things of interest, I´m afraid. What he did say was that he felt pretty certain that Nichols was no first crime - serious criminality and quite likely earlier murders would be to expect. He also said that the Ripper murders were extremely rare, with very few historical parallels.

He tried his hand at geographical profiling, and ended up on Whitechapel Road or in the vicinity thereof. That meant, he said, that Kosminsky was geographically a good bid. But his own verdict over Kosminsky was that he seemed not to be a dangerous man, but instead a man run down, mentally, not least, and a man who did not seem given to violence in any manifested manner, whereas the Ripper deeds of course are deeds of extreme violence.
          Finally, he had a go at the Seaside Home identification/Kosminsky/unknown witness business, and stated that his belief was that if they really had had that witness at hand back then, then they would not have missed the opportunity to take the case to trial in some manner.

And that was about it!

All the best,
          Fisherman

Comment

How much, and with whom if at all, did Persson speak to English speaking Ripperologists. These shows usually have a couple such as Rumbelow, Evans, Begg.
            Was much time given to Stride?
            Finally - what is the title of the show/series?
            Thanks Fisherman,
            Ozzy.

I believe this is the show. I'm watching it now. Don't know how much longer it's available for.
            http://www.svt.se/engelska-mord/se-program/
            Last edited by Ozzy; 07-08-2012, 06:21 PM.
            These are not clues, Fred.
            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
            We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Right - just turned the telly off, after having watched Persson having a go at the Ripper.

Few things of interest, I´m afraid. What he did say was that he felt pretty certain that Nichols was no first crime - serious criminality and quite likely earlier murders would be to expect. He also said that the Ripper murders were extremely rare, with very few historical parallels.

He tried his hand at geographical profiling, and ended up on Whitechapel Road or in the vicinity thereof. That meant, he said, that Kosminsky was geographically a good bid. But his own verdict over Kosminsky was that he seemed not to be a dangerous man, but instead a man run down, mentally, not least, and a man who did not seem given to violence in any manifested manner, whereas the Ripper deeds of course are deeds of extreme violence.
              Finally, he had a go at the Seaside Home identification/Kosminsky/unknown witness business, and stated that his belief was that if they really had had that witness at hand back then, then they would not have missed the opportunity to take the case to trial in some manner.

And that was about it!

All the best,
              Fisherman
              Hello Christer,

Yes, I agree with much he said about Kosminski.
              For those of you not familiar with the man, I think Christer will confirm he has an excellent reputation.

Best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi everyone!

Last night it was the turn of the Christie murders. I thought this programme was the best so far in the series.

The first episode relating to the Ripper murders was good but poor Persson had to cram too much into just 30 minutes. Considering how little time he had I think he did a great job.

Persson is a lovely man- you can't help but like him. He's so relaxed you expect him to drop off to sleep at some point! He is extremely knowledgeable and well thought of here in Sweden.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                  Hi everyone!

Last night it was the turn of the Christie murders. I thought this programme was the best so far in the series.

The first episode relating to the Ripper murders was good but poor Persson had to cram too much into just 30 minutes. Considering how little time he had I think he did a great job.

Persson is a lovely man- you can't help but like him. He's so relaxed you expect him to drop off to sleep at some point! He is extremely knowledgeable and well thought of here in Sweden.

Carol
                  Hei Carol,

Indeed- he has a magnectic way of holding the viewer's attention. I may be mis-remembering here, as it was a while ago, but didn't he do an investigation into the Palme murder?

Best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    Hei Carol,

Indeed- he has a magnectic way of holding the viewer's attention. I may be mis-remembering here, as it was a while ago, but didn't he do an investigation into the Palme murder?

Best wishes

Phil
                    Hello Phil,

If I remember rightly he came up with a considered opinion that the Palme murder was carried out by a member of the military or the police. I think I read this somewhere rather then saw it on TV. I don't know if Persson made a TV documentary about his conclusions. I think he got 'a lot of stick' for his theory.

I'd LOVE him to join Casebook!

I hope your health problems are behind you now, Phil.

Hej då,
                    Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                      Hello Phil,

If I remember rightly he came up with a considered opinion that the Palme murder was carried out by a member of the military or the police. I think I read this somewhere rather then saw it on TV. I don't know if Persson made a TV documentary about his conclusions. I think he got 'a lot of stick' for his theory.

I'd LOVE him to join Casebook!

I hope your health problems are behind you now, Phil.

Hej då,
                      Carol
                      Hei igjen Carol,

Yes! Now I recall it. He was interviewed on tv about it after I believe a newspaper article.
                      If he joined Casebook- ive a feeling some feathers would be ruffled- lol.

Thanks for asking re health. Better but just ok.

Håper alt er bra med deg og dine!

Best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I am intrigued that Swedish TV has made a series about British murders. I don't recall the British making a series about Swedish murders.

Don't the Swedes have enough murders of their own?

Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                          I am intrigued that Swedish TV has made a series about British murders. I don't recall the British making a series about Swedish murders.

Don't the Swedes have enough murders of their own?

Hello Helen,

Persson is quite famous in Sweden. He has investigated many unsolved crimes in Sweden itself, and I believe I am correct in saying that he has helped the police on many occasions.
                          I also believe he used to be a high ranking police detective himself- though Carol or Christer may be able to correct or confirm this?

Best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Helen,

Persson is quite famous in Sweden. He has investigated many unsolved crimes in Sweden itself, and I believe I am correct in saying that he has helped the police on many occasions.
                            I also believe he used to be a high ranking police detective himself- though Carol or Christer may be able to correct or confirm this?

Best wishes

Phil
                            Hello all,

Edit to add- Persson worked at the National Police Crime Board for 20 years. Thats where my memory of connections within the system came from. Apologies for the mistake.

Best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

If he joined Casebook- ive a feeling some feathers would be ruffled- lol.
                              .. only the loonies with unsubstantiated, outlandish theories.

Comment

Working...
                              X