Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 50 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 59 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 5 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (39 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (23 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (10 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Commisioner

Yes,absolutely Robert.Andy and I noticed exactly that and commented on it when the programme ended.I went with a friend of mine to see, " Shine a Light" that film Scorcese made about them a few years back.I remember he gave Richards five or six minutes where the camera stayed solely on his guitar playing which was very sensitively felt as well as professional.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Everyone raves about the Beatles' songwriting, and rightly so, but when you look back you find that people like the Shadows, the Hollies and Gerry and the Pacemakers were coming up with some great stuff of their own too. It was a remarkable explosion of songwriting.
I have a sinking feeling that I may be the only one around here who saw the Beatles, the Hollies, and Gerry and the Pacemakers in live performances. I hope someone else can say the same, otherwise I might start feeling old.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Casebook Supporter

I can't.

Anyone else?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

You're cruel, Robert.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
I have a sinking feeling that I may be the only one around here who saw the Beatles, the Hollies, and Gerry and the Pacemakers in live performances. I hope someone else can say the same, otherwise I might start feeling old.

I saw the Hollies live but it was in about 1980ish after Graham Nash left. I much prefer their later stuff starting from I can't tell the bottom from the top.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The local Sunday school used to organize coach trips to such places as Chalkwell and Walton on the Naze. There was something nice about being in a coach full of people. And I think it usually ended with a fish and chip supper before coming home.

Do they still sell toffee apples at seaside resorts? I used to bite off the toffee and throw away the apple.
Did we goto the same Sunday School Robert - I remember going to Chalkwell and Walton with our Sunday School too! Later - when we graduated to Youth Club - they took us for weekends at Frinton. Why? Well there were no pubs there! Not one!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Chief Inspector

Robert - on that playlist is a song that made a huge impression on me in 1961 and is still with me today. I listen to it regularly and I'm going to have it at my funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b1uGEYuSC8
Old 10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
Robert - on that playlist is a song that made a huge impression on me in 1961 and is still with me today. I listen to it regularly and I'm going to have it at my funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b1uGEYuSC8

Hi Julie,

An excellent thread you started here. Music is my biggest passion [anything from Mozart to Dylan so long as it's good on the ear] and 1961 (when I was 9 years old) happens to be my favourite year for music. It was a year before my hometown group, The Beatles, exploded onto the music scene (with 'Love me do'). So many great songs around that year such as the Everly Brothers with 'Walk right back', Billy Fury with 'Halfway to Paradise', Elvis with 'Are you lonesome tonight', 'Wooden Heart' and 'Surrender', John Leyton's 'Johnny remember me' and loads more too numerous to mention.

One of my favourite songs that year was the extremely catchy 'Hello Mary Lou' by Ricky Nelson ( a few years before he dropped the 'y' ). 1961 was the first year my sisters and I went on the locally arranged annual coach trip to Southport Funfair. It was organised each August by a certain Mrs McLean and something we all looked forward to each summer. I clearly recall 'Hello Mary Lou' being played repeatedly on the juke box in Southport Fun House that summer. Very fond memories of spending a few hours in that Fun House, especially that spinning contraption that was almost impossible to remain seated on. That was a big draw with everyone and great fun.. Who knows, perhaps that particular day trip to Southport FunFair might even have occurred on August 22nd 1961.

Last edited by jimarilyn : 10-30-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
I saw the Hollies live but it was in about 1980ish after Graham Nash left. I much prefer their later stuff starting from I can't tell the bottom from the top.

Hi Julie,

The Hollies were one of my favourite groups of the 60's and 70's. They came out with some memorable stuff. In 1976 they did a great version of Emmylou Harris's hauntingly beautiful classic "Boulder to Birmingham". Powerful lead vocals from Allan Clarke...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVEukLrGXs
Old 10-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Commisioner

Why ofcourse----Southport Fun fair was brilliant James! Especially the hall of mirrors! Why did I forget....I think it was slightly out of the way from Birkenhead though so I didnt go as often.
I am afraid I was a bit averse to Sunday School though and the girl guides---and went only once or twice .It all seemed a bit too "organised" for my liking but I certainly loved the funfairs!