Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 14 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 16 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 17 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 26 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Harry D 31 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by MrBarnett 32 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (78 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (2 posts)
Rippercast: Donald Rumbelow at the Cloak & Dagger Club 1999- The Siege of Sidney Street - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Superintendent

Ahhh Steve and Fish debating in long posts. Now.....where have I seen that before

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Ahhh Steve and Fish debating in long posts. Now.....where have I seen that before
No more I promise; unless Christer says something I think needs Response.
Too busy writingup. Start on Mizen scam next week I hope, blood evidence to follow soon after.

Steve
Old 10-14-2017, 08:29 AM
Superintendent

If TK wanted the maximum effect from these body parts then we have to question the use of a river. This introduces an element of chance. If we knew of everything that's ever been dumped in the Thames what would be the percentage of them that were recovered?

This whole subject, while definately interesting, is a difficult one to debate because we know far less.

The TK did all he could to obliterate his victims identities whilst Jack did no such thing.

Jack wanted everyone to know 'what' these women were. TK didn't care.

Jack left them where he killed them. TK went to elaborate lengths to disperse them.

Different man for me.

Herlock

Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
No more I promise; unless Christer says something I think needs Response.
Too busy writingup. Start on Mizen scam next week I hope, blood evidence to follow soon after.

Steve
I'm not complaining Steve.

Don't work too hard and neglect the pub

Herlock

Old 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I totally agree, Sox. However, in defence of the FBI, I believe their definition of 'posing' includes any post-mortem movement of the body, for whatever purpose. They should have used another term, though.
Quite Josh, I'm a supporter of a lot of FBI methods myself.

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course
Old 10-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
I totally agree, Sox. However, in defence of the FBI, I believe their definition of 'posing' includes any post-mortem movement of the body, for whatever purpose. They should have used another term, though.

Agreed - "exhibiting" or something like that would be much more useful. If we only use the strict meaning of the word posing, we will miss a number of interesting matters.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Or under-qualified FBI men who think that human behaviour follows some kind of recipe or immutable law.
Very well put.
You cynic, you. I bet you would have found that hard to tell Robert Ressler to his face, though...

Once we do not overinvest in the precarious art of profiling, it has a lot to offer. The problem with profiling is that we cannot judge how qualitative it is in a certain case if the perpetrator is not caught, and therefore it is impossible to know what value - if any - it has in searching for the Ripper/Torso man.

On the whole, though, if it didn´t have it´s advantages, I don´t think it would be allowed to grow the way it has. It advances knowledge on a general level, and that´s not half bad.

As for "our cases", it would be as foolish not to listen to what profilers have to say as it would be to make the assumption they will/must be right.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
You cynis, you. I bet you would have found that hard to tell Robert Ressler to his face, though
Ressler I respect, but there are too many amateur (and professional) dabblers out there.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
1. Yes
2. No
3.....Maybe?
The third option?

Glad you - almost - asked, because this is where things become a bit more interesting!

The third option is that the killer did pose the victims -but NOT to evoke any reaction or feelings from those who found them, or from the surrounding society. There is a chance he posed them only for himself.

Dahmer did this, for example. And the reason we know this is that he photographed them, in positions that were quite explicit and that bore a sexual significance to him. After photographing them, he took them out of the positions and stored them. Or ate them. Or dismembered them and got rid of them.

And Dahmer had the probable common trait with the Ripper and the Torso man, that the kill was not what was important. He could actually be described as a rather meek guy, almost soft and timid. But he killed. And posed - for his own benefit.

There is a possibility that the Ripper also did this. That the explicit postures of the victims was just for his own benefit.
Similarly, the torso man could have done just the same - killed, posed, dismembered and discarded.

The scope is sometimes wider than it seems at first glance.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
In the case of most of the torso body-parts, they'd end up wherever the river took them. No way could that be construed as "posing".
No. But that does not equate that the killer could not have nourished a wish to show off what he had done. It´s the term "posing" that is too narrow to cover this possibility, just like Joshua has pointed out.
Closed Thread