Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by GUT 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by rjpalmer 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Paddy 6 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Joshua Rogan 6 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (7 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (5 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
David,

Just how many secretaries have you known who didn't know the difference between 'your' and you're'? No doubt you interrogated a vast number of them rigorously to make sure they wouldn't have inadvertently misspelt the word. 'Huge' suggests, maybe, hundreds ... thousands... millions...?

You're eager public awaits clarification.

Tina from the tiping poole
A lot of them. It didn't need interrogation, it was there in their emails. I once recall thinking that there isn't a single secretary who uses "your" correctly. I did discover some subsequently but the minority in my experience.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
The notion that Anne couldn't have spared a few hours to practice handwriting because she was in full time employment and had a few other things to do is just a joke. In any event, look what we are told about Anne by her work colleague Audrey Johnson (in Harrison's 2003 book):

"Anne had to give up work for a while with a bad back..."
Post 7,457. Remember this one, it's a cracker, and you will be quizzed on it in the future. Just because you have reached post 999,334 and the topic has diverged to the meaning of life and everything, don't think you will be excused from not knowing that Anne once had a bad back.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Post 7,457. Remember this one, it's a cracker, and you will be quizzed on it in the future. Just because you have reached post 999,334 and the topic has diverged to the meaning of life and everything, don't think you will be excused from not knowing that Anne once had a bad back.
You've lost me there Gary. Either you haven't been following the discussion, and thus don't understand the reason for my post, or you are just being deliberately obtuse.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Inspector

Quote:
A lot of them. It didn't need interrogation, it was there in their emails. I once recall thinking that there isn't a single secretary who uses "your" correctly. I did discover some subsequently but the minority in my experience.
David,

I'm looking for quantification of your use of the word 'huge'. 'A lot' doesn't really help. Since you mention 'typing' skills as the sole requirement of a secretary, I'm assuming your experience of employing them stretches back to the days of the suffragettes.

Gary
Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Inspector

Quote:
You've lost me there Gary. Either you haven't been following the discussion, and thus don't understand the reason for my post, or you are just being deliberately obtuse.
David,

The point is that you are so deliberately verbose that you are making it impossible for anyone to follow the 'discussion'.

Gary
Old 04-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
David,

I'm looking for quantification of your use of the word 'huge'. 'A lot' doesn't really help. Since you mention 'typing' skills as the sole requirement of a secretary, I'm assuming your experience of employing them stretches back to the days of the suffragettes.

Gary
Have you heard of sampling? If one extrapolates the sample of secretaries that I know personally - which I assume to be a random and reasonably representative sample - across the whole of the country then the number of secretaries that don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" must be absolutely massive.

And please do go ahead and tell us all about the actual requirements of a secretary in the early 1990s....
Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
David,

The point is that you are so deliberately verbose that you are making it impossible for anyone to follow the 'discussion'.
So I was right then. You didn't understand it?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
The meaning of life and everything???

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Detective

HI KEITH. I couldn't help noticing that at the end of Paul Feldman's video, during the closing credits, thanks are given to Albert Johnson and Robert Johnson. (Sorry to lower the bar by mentioning Robbie again, but he seems to keep cropping up). Seeing that the Johnsons (plural) had previously brought their (plural) solicitor around to see Feldman, would it be safe to assume that Albert and Robbie's "cooperation" came with a contract attached to it? If not, why the solicitor? Should we add to the 3000 they (or he) already received from Robert Smith, another 3000 or so from Feldy? Can you offer any enlightenment on this point? You see, I am a little worried that Caroline Morris's constant claim that Albert Johnson, through his honesty, lost money on the watch has no actual source other than Johnson himself. As does her claim that the 30K deal with the Texas collector Robert Davis was cancelled by Albert, and not the other way round. But perhaps you can calm my doubts on these points? THANKS.

Last edited by rjpalmer : 04-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Detective

Hi David. Regarding Albert Johnson's dubious and suspicious claim about "accidently" finding the faint "Maybrick" scratches in front of a live audience (sounds like a "staged" performance)... I did find one 1992 Antique Roadshow episode that mentions watches: March 8, 1992, filmed in Orkney, where some old gentleman was showing off a collection of antique watches. Now and then I like to throw the Diary Defenders a bone, knowing it will lead to another 15 years of idle speculation. Just think! March 8, 1992! It aired the night before Eddie Lyons may or may not have called in sick at the height of the Liverpool cold/flu season! (Which explains his mysteriously missing timesheet). And also the night Barrett decided to seek out a literary agent, bright and early, first thing in the morning! The mind boggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsWJ-NfKgYM

The segment starts at 27:06.