Virginia Woolf and the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Woolf and the Ripper

It has been noted, over the years, that Virginia Woolf was acquainted with one or more of the men suspected of being Jack the Ripper.

Virginia Woolf also made a diary entry, in 1931, about a crime described as a "ripper murder" on Blackheath. This murder, of a young maidservant, is discussed in this (archived?) thread from 2003:

With all this in mind, I wrote a detailed article about all the links between Virginia Woolf and the various suspects. I speculate about her knowledge of the crimes, and the legends already circulating in the East End. The article includes a consideration of the 1931 Blackheath murder, and I researched out some links between that and the Druitt case.

This article was published, "Virginia Woolf and the Whitechapel Murders", Fortean Times, no 334, Dec 2015.

Hi Therese,

I read your article in Fortean Times when it first came out and shared it with some friends as well. My only criticism is that I wished you had been aware, or made use, of Simon Wood's research that appeared in Bloodhound magazine in 1987 which went a long way towards disproving most of the Crook/Sickert material told by Gorman and repeated by Stephen Knight.
    Also, there is speculation about 'John Netley' possibly being one and the same as a man named 'John Nickley' who was involved in a cab accident, hitting a little girl Lizzie Madewell, in Fleet Street in October of 1888 and that Knight incorrectly, whether purposefully or not, identified it as the attempted murder of Alice Margaret Crook. Including in this incident would have added a bit of color to the part where you speculate about Woolf possibly hearing about a 'much older legend' of a 'murderous coachman'.

I did enjoy the article very much and I always like to see Ripper articles in Fortean Times. I encourage those interested in the Royal Conspiracy, JK Stephens or Virginia Woolf to try and track down a copy of the December 2015 issue.

All the best,

JM

Comment

Since Fortean Times doesn't have a back issue service and **** eBay...
      Enjoy.

Last edited by Shaggyrand; 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
        Since Fortean Times doesn't have a back issue service and **** eBay...
        Enjoy.

https://archive.org/details/Fortean_Times_December_2015
        It is a real drag that the Fortean Times does not have a proper "live" web page. It is puzzle to me, as if they did have one, it would bring in revenue, as people could buy specific articles and issues direct. Rue Morgue is just as limited. What is it with these magazines? They are good quality, but keep to a cultish subscriber circulation.

However, electronic version of the Fortean Times is available through Zinio. That issue, with the JTR story, also has detailed articles about other crimes. It would be good reading for anyone on the forum.

My own article is somewhat in circulation - people have made copies - for research purposes.

There is also press reader:

Digital newsstand featuring 7000+ of the world’s most popular newspapers & magazines. Enjoy unlimited reading on up to 5 devices with 7-day free trial.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          Hi Therese,

I read your article in Fortean Times when it first came out and shared it with some friends as well. My only criticism is that I wished you had been aware, or made use, of Simon Wood's research that appeared in Bloodhound magazine in 1987 which went a long way towards disproving most of the Crook/Sickert material told by Gorman and repeated by Stephen Knight.

JM
          JM, many thanks for your kind words, which mean a lot, especially as you are evidently very well informed.

I fully agree that the critiques of Stephen Knight could have been incorporated into that section of the article. It would be most useful. I was aware of Simon Wood's research, although I have not got a copy of that article, I read about it in Robin Odell's very competent, Ripperology : A Study of the World's First Serial Killer and a Literary Phenomenon. In the article, I just wanted to indicate why these topics came up again in the late 20th c, and the hints we have of earlier folk tales about the Ripper.

I was, of course, up against a word limit, indeed, I think that i tried the patience of the editor of the Fortean Times, as I kept wanting to put more stuff in. Still, I expect that the editor of the FT is used to dealing with enthusiastic and eccentric intellectuals.

The article could also have been improved by a more detailed consideration of the Cleveland St scandal, in myth and history.

I also found it extraordinary that Melvyn Fairclough's book The Ripper And The Royals, was put out in a quality edition by Duckworth - a literary publisher. This imaginative account of the crimes makes many references (undocumented, obviously) to VW's family links to Annie Crook. How strange that this was published by Duckworth's, the firm originally founded by Virginia's step brother. Duckworth was very proud of its heritage and selective about its publications, which were not in the field of true crime. The FT editor cut this point, and put it in a footnote, but I really did think it was noteworthy.

Comment

Rue Morgue certainly does sell back issues right on their website for the record.
            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

There are two links between Virginia Woolf and Jack the Ripper.

One is the Knole House estate.

Woolf was still a child when he died and I doubt they ever met.

She was however treated by his son in law.
              Last edited by DJA; 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM. Reason: Son in law.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

What Stephens family links to Annie Crook?

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                  There are two links between Virginia Woolf and Jack the Ripper.

One is the Knole House estate.

Woolf was still a child when he died and I doubt they ever met.

She was however treated by his son in law.
                  What is the Knole House link? I thought that was Vita Sackville-West's home.

Comment

Jack often lived on the Estate.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                      What Stephens family links to Annie Crook?

Miss Marple
                      In Melvyn Fairclough's book, Ripper and the Royals, which was based on testimony from Joseph Gorman, it is said that Annie Crook's mother, whose maiden name was Dryden, married William Crook, whose mother was a Stephen. "In fact she was the sister of James Stephen's grandfather."

If this were correct, then Virginia Woolf, nee Stephen, would be a cousin to Annie Crook. The book alleges some other family link as well - I don't have it by me. However, all this is based on the word of Joseph Gorman, and the historical reality of Annie Crook herself has been brought into question. Much less all these other links.

But it is of interest as a story - a narrative around these crimes. And, these claims were published in a book put out by Duckworth, a distinguished publishing house originally founded by Virginia Woolf's step brother. Odd!

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                        Jack often lived on the Estate.
                        Eh? What suspect is this?

Comment

He was there with his wife and a daughter during the 1881 census and pretty much died a resident there a decade later.
                          His son in law treated VW.
                          Seems you missed a suspect in your article

Comment

Working...
                          X