Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Ann Cluley, prostitute, of Millers Court (recovered thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Cluley, prostitute, of Millers Court (recovered thread)

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-5412.html as retrieved on Feb 13, 2008 21:16:45 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.

Mary Ann Cluley, prostitute, of Millers Court

chris
    15th January 2008, 11:13 PM
    I have just finished transcribing the January 1889 entries for the admissions register for the Whitechapel Infirmary (I will be posting these shortly to the relevant thread)
    There is an entry for 30 Jan 1889 which is of interest. This refers to a prostitute aged 23 living in Room 24 Millers Court, admitted for veneral disease.
    The Details read as follows:
    Name: Mary Ann Cluley
    Where admitted from: Millers Court, Room 24
    Single
    Calling: Prostitute
    Cause of admission: Gonorrhea
    Date of Discharge: 15 Feb 1889
    I am attaching a copy of this entry and an enlargement of the name in case I have misread it.
    Cluley is a surprisingly common surname - 133 entries in 1881 census and 137 in 1891.
    I will see what more I can find on this young woman who would have been born, according to the entry, about 1866.

Nemo
    15th January 2008, 11:24 PM
    Hi Chris

Excellent find

I thought there were 12 rooms in the court and 8 in No.26 Dorset St making 20 rooms in total in Millers court

Where then are No.s 21-24? - or does this refer to a different Millers Court?

Sam Flynn
    15th January 2008, 11:32 PM
    One of three daughters of a matchbox maker living at 157, Old Nichol Street, Bethnal-green in 1881?

chris
    15th January 2008, 11:34 PM
    This is the most likely looking family in the 1881 census:
    57 Old Nichol Street, Bethnal Green
    Head: Mary Cluley aged 34 born Shoreditch - Matchbox maker
    Daughter:
    Mary aged 13 born Shoreditch
    Sarah aged 11 born Shoreditch
    Charlotte aged 9 born Bethnal Green
    If this is the same Mary (the 13 year old daughter) she would have been 20-21 in early 1889

chris
    15th January 2008, 11:36 PM
    Great minds, Sam

Sam Flynn
    15th January 2008, 11:38 PM
    Where then are No.s 21-24? - or does this refer to a different Millers Court?It's probably one and the same, Nemo, but there may well be much better places to talk about Miller's Court Layout (http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=129030) than here

Nemo
    15th January 2008, 11:44 PM
    Hi - point taken Sam - lol

...but I am trying to make a model of No.26 - don't tell me I have to fit 4 more rooms in please....

Glenn L Andersson
    16th January 2008, 12:04 AM
    Interesting find, Chris!

All the best

Sam Flynn
    16th January 2008, 12:11 AM
    ...but I am trying to make a model of No.26 - don't tell me I have to fit 4 more rooms in please....Good luck with the planning permission!

And, Chris - great minds, indeed, but thanks for finding her in the first place, although it seems that she was doomed to a hard life. Old Nichol St resident, a seemingly estranged match-girl for a mother, ending up with gonorrhoea in Miller's Court. Apart from all that, everything must have been just dandy for her.

So, we have two roughly contemporaneous residents of Miller's Court, both called Mary - we know about Cluley, but alas we remain "Cluless" about the other!

bobhinton
    16th January 2008, 11:24 AM
    Very interesting find here, the only problem is that I do have some Clulee's in my family. They originated from the Black Country.

jukka ruskeeahde
    16th January 2008, 11:27 AM
    Hello you all!

I hope, that after this thread there won't be a tv-movie, where Mary Ann Cluley is presented as a stand-in in nr. 13 for the other Mary...

All the best
    Jukka

Stephen_Chapman
    16th January 2008, 01:13 PM
    Dear Jukka,

Only if Mary Ann Cluley was 5'7", like MJK!

Cheers

jukka ruskeeahde
    16th January 2008, 01:37 PM
    Hello Stephen!

Yes, I know, that Mary was about the avege-height of the contemporary men!

But it seems, though, that most of the script-writers still don't, after a bit less than 120 years!

All the best
    Jukka

chris
    16th January 2008, 07:55 PM
    I believe that I misread (in post #4 on this thread) the age of Mary Cluley, the mother. If you look at Sam's post above mine I believe it shows the mother's age in 1881 to be 30 and not 34 as I posted.
    This means that the mother would have been born in 1851. I have found what may be a record of her death as follows:
    1885 Quarter 2
    Mary Ann Cluley
    Aged 34
    Shoreditch
    The is would explain the Millers Court girl being named Mary Ann, as her mother's eldest daughter, and also why she (and possibly her sisters) fell on hard times prior to 1889.

chris
    16th January 2008, 08:20 PM
    What appears to be the birth of the youngest daughter is as follows:
    1872 Quarter 1
    Charlotte Cluley
    Bethnal Green
    Vol 1c Page 230
    and her marriage as follows:
    1890 Quarter 2
    Bethnal Green
    Charlotte Cluley married Samuel Goody or William Taylor

chris
    18th January 2008, 10:29 PM
    Based on the name and age of Mary Cluley's mother, and the area involved, this is what I believe could well be the marriage of her parents:

1867 Quarter 2
    Shoreditch
    Richard Cluley married either Mary Ann Stanger or Mary Ann Way

chris
    18th January 2008, 10:37 PM
    If this Richard Cluley was the father of the Millers Court Mary Ann Cluley, I wondered why he was not listed in the 1881 census with the family.
    There is a Richard Cluley listed in that year as follows:
    Bethnal Green Workhouse
    Pauper
    Richard Cluley (Married) aged 41 born Shoreditch - Costermonger.

Dan Norder
    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com
Working...
X