Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Debra A 38 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 5 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - by Simon Wood 7 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - by Mayerling 7 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - by Mayerling 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (9 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)
Visual Media: "Mysteries at the Museum" features JtR Museum - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1321  
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
American public libraries, in the past (pre-Internet), frequently kept phone books for surrounding cities in their reference collections.
I can't attest to whether or not British public libraries did the same, but it is a possibility that the library in Liverpool had a London telephone book listing publishers.
The problem is, there isn't a scenario involving an electrician delivering the diary to Barrett on the same day of discovery which doesn't descend into absurdity.

Thus, neither the electricians or Barrett admitted knowing one another: the only known connection is the Saddle Inn. However, Mike has pointed out that the pub is miles away from Battlecrease House so any viable meeting had to take place in the evening.

So, say the electrician turns up at the pub and says to Barrett, "Hey, want to buy Jack the Ripper's diary for a tenner?"

Barrett, sceptical at first, has a quick scan through and says to himself, "wow this is the real deal; I better make the purchase and contact a random London publicist immediately!"

Quite apart from the fact that no sane person would think like that there are the practicalities of finding a relevant contact number. I mean, is it remotely likely that he decides to head off immediately to the library on the other side of the city and then begin an exhaustive search of London telephone directories? Would the library even be open in the evening? Would the random London publicist still be working?

And then there's the numerous anomalies. As noted, neither Barrett or the electricians admitted knowing each other (and as far as I know no one has ever been able to prove an association). Why, the denial if it wasn't true? Why did Barrett go to see Feldman's contact- presumably Feldman gave him the address-and accuse him of lying about finding the diary at Battlecrease? And if he wasn't lying, why didn't the electrician give Barrett a good pasting? And I somehow can't imagine Barrett being any good at fisticuffs-if the electrician was telling the truth I think he'd be more likely to go into hiding!

And what about the three electricians visiting Liverpool University with a parcel, supposedly the diary, in order to obtain authentication? And what about the fact that the university confirmed to Feldman that the visit took place, although they wouldn't reveal it's purpose?

Last edited by John G : 09-19-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1322  
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 AM
barnflatwyngarde barnflatwyngarde is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
American public libraries, in the past (pre-Internet), frequently kept phone books for surrounding cities in their reference collections.
I can't attest to whether or not British public libraries did the same, but it is a possibility that the library in Liverpool had a London telephone book listing publishers.
As an ex Public and Reference Librarian I can confirm that it was normal practice for branch libraries and central libraries to hold both Residential and Yellow Page phone books for many of the major cities in the UK.

This would probably have continued into the 90's.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1323  
Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,329
Default

I make no bones about the fact that I've not read the new book, but reading the reports of those who have, far from clearing up this mystery, the waters are become even more muddied. If the timeline of the 'day of discovery' at Battlecrease is as the book claims, then it is simply not feasible. OK, Feldman said that he believed that 'the electricians' took something to Liverpool University, but much later he accepted that whatever it was, it wasn't the Diary. So do we believe him? And I'll say it again - you can't just roll up at a large urban campus and expect to see an expert in a particular field right there and then. Not possible. As for Barrett having Rupert Crew's phone-number handy, well, he might have as he had literary pretensions, but what are the chances of the Diary falling into the unlikely hands of someone who did happen to have that number? Do we believe him?Either the whole thing is baloney, or we're missing something, or we're not being told the full story. As it stands now, it simply doesn't hang together.

IMHO, the only person who could possibly throw light onto this matter is Anne Barrett, and she is nowhere to be seen. Mike's gone, as have Feldman, Harris, Devereux, Kane.

And then there's the Watch......the Johnson brothers have gone, as has Dangar.

Could it be that more information will be made public at the forthcoming conference, and that certain people are waiting until then to 'reveal all'? I'd like to think so. But even then, would anyone believe it....?

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1324  
Old 09-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Possibly, Caz, but "give him/her a call" in any sense doesn't appear much in print before the 20th Century.
Only a few thousand times, Gareth, as we both now know from Gary Barnett's research.

I trust that puts this particular canard to bed?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1325  
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 AM
Observer Observer is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Could it be that more information will be made public at the forthcoming conference, and that certain people are waiting until then to 'reveal all'? I'd like to think so. But even then, would anyone believe it....?

Graham
No. Well perhaps a few of the die-hards. What I believe is unacceptable is the way in which the public are being conned by the publication of Diary related books, that is the books which promote Maybrick as Jack The Ripper. Also, the notion of it being an "old hoax" in my opinion is absurd. I believe there is more than enough evidence to suggest that is was written in the latter part of the 20th Century. I would say there is more than a fair chance that we will see in the not very distant future a book being devoted to the Diary being an "old hoax". Buyer's beware.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1326  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Only a few thousand times, Gareth, as we both now know from Gary Barnett's research.
Perhaps those thousands came from shop advertisements, Caz? I really must get access to ye olde newspaper archives to see the extent to which, and context in which, these instances occur. I'll ask Gary how to go about it.
Quote:
I trust that puts this particular canard to bed?
Maybe, but I'm still not 100% sure. The idea of Joe Public (or Jim Public) casually dropping "I will give her a call" into a conversation, or an internal monologue, still jars a bit.

Anyhow, we still have "spreads mayhem", "one-off instance" and "top myself" to account for... Together... In the same short document. Either this is a modern forgery, or "Maybrick" was, page for page, the greatest neologist since Shakespeare.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1327  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Does the 9th March timesheet really prove that the floorboards were actually pulled up on that day, Caz? I see total hours worked, and a bill of materials, but not a list of tasks (e.g. lifted floorboards, tea break, replaced floorboards, pee break, painted skirting). Perhaps they did some other stuff on the 9th and didn't pull up the floorboards until later? I'm not being facetious or disingenuous; I'm just not entirely sure that the timesheet definitively nails the matter... pardon pun.
Hi Gareth,

Oh yes, the floorboards had to be lifted on that day to facilitate the underfloor wiring work in Maybrick's old bedroom on the first floor, in advance of the storage heater installation. Colin Rhodes generously supplied every time sheet for work done by his firm at 7 Riversdale Road, beginning with a repair to a faulty immersion heater on 14 September 1989, which was carried out by two chaps who have not been named in any other context as far as I am aware and didn't work on future jobs.

A contract in Skelmersdale kept Colin's team of electricians busy throughout December 1991, January and February 1992 and up to Saturday 7 March. The very next job was the underfloor wiring in Battlecrease on Monday 9 March, requiring fifteen floorboard protectors. This job was completed the following day, Tuesday 10 March.

The Skelmersdale job continued after that, and the next job at 7 Riversdale was not until Tuesday 9 June, when the storage heater installation was finally done on the first floor. Between Wednesday 10 and Tuesday 16 June lights on the ground floor were rewired.

Then nothing more until July and August, when no further work was done on the first floor.

That's it.

Does that help?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1328  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Anyhow, we still have "spreads mayhem", "one-off instance" and "top myself" to account for... Together... In the same short document. Either this is a modern forgery, or "Maybrick" was, page for page, the greatest neologist since Shakespeare.
Have you not seen my post re 'spreading mayhem'? I know you saw Gary's 1877 example of a prisoner wondering if he should top himself by means of hanging, because you replied to it.

Here's a handy reminder:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=16515&page=4

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1329  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Oh yes, the floorboards had to be lifted on that day to facilitate the underfloor wiring work in Maybrick's old bedroom on the first floor, in advance of the storage heater installation... Then nothing more until July and August, when no further work was done on the first floor.

That's it.

Does that help?
It does, Caz - thanks. My experience of replacing old boilers is somewhat limited.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1330  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 6,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I make no bones about the fact that I've not read the new book, but reading the reports of those who have, far from clearing up this mystery, the waters are become even more muddied. If the timeline of the 'day of discovery' at Battlecrease is as the book claims, then it is simply not feasible. OK, Feldman said that he believed that 'the electricians' took something to Liverpool University, but much later he accepted that whatever it was, it wasn't the Diary. So do we believe him? And I'll say it again - you can't just roll up at a large urban campus and expect to see an expert in a particular field right there and then. Not possible. As for Barrett having Rupert Crew's phone-number handy, well, he might have as he had literary pretensions, but what are the chances of the Diary falling into the unlikely hands of someone who did happen to have that number? Do we believe him?Either the whole thing is baloney, or we're missing something, or we're not being told the full story. As it stands now, it simply doesn't hang together.

IMHO, the only person who could possibly throw light onto this matter is Anne Barrett, and she is nowhere to be seen. Mike's gone, as have Feldman, Harris, Devereux, Kane.

And then there's the Watch......the Johnson brothers have gone, as has Dangar.

Could it be that more information will be made public at the forthcoming conference, and that certain people are waiting until then to 'reveal all'? I'd like to think so. But even then, would anyone believe it....?

Graham
Hi Graham,

I'm not sure anyone has claimed that the alleged trip to Liverpool University was on 9 March, have they? In any case, we don't know for sure that Mike had the diary in front of him when he rang Doreen on that day either, nor when he took over full possession of it. He was putting out feelers, but how much did he really know by then?

Also, wasn't the story [for whatever it's worth] that Mike had some Pan paperbacks indoors and called them first on 9 March, and they put him onto Rupert Crew?

It's a great pity you were unable to get hold of Robert's book, because it can't simply be reproduced here to iron out every query such as this, and I'd be here 'til Christmas if I tried. Hopefully the conference will shed more light for those without the book, or at least clarify some of the issues arising from it.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.