Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (60 posts)
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - (8 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (8 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)
General Discussion: The man who named JtR! - (1 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Commisioner

Default GSG/DB/SJ.. all mean nothing?

Hello all,

There at least 6...yup SIX official versions of the Goulston Street Graffiti.. all from witnessing policemen. Different spellings, different wordings etc.

And it was recorded thus by these fair minded men only.

Now... exactly how many policemen does it take to get one tiny bit of writing observed correctly? I mean, you would have thought that they would have at least had a pow-wow and reached some sort of same conclusion?... But no...oh no... and then along comes Big Chief Warren and it gets rubbed off... and here's the punchline...

Exactly HOW, pray tell me, IF the Goulston Street Graffiti was written by the killer, (as was supposed by the police at the time), can anyone from this intrepid bunch identify said graffiti and compare it, by REMEMBERING it please note.... with the Dear Boss and Saucy Jack handwriting.. that was posted all over the place in large posters promoting said killer's handwriting... and say it was by the same hand?....without a photograph? and without a solid memory (which by the above 6 variations shows was totally non-existant anyway)???... and what type of hand was the description of the GSG???? It certainly wasn't the same type of hand that wrote Dear Boss and Saucy Jack!!.. (schoolboy hand?????)

You see... it is impossible to have one load of policemen saying that the killer was the writer of the Goulston St graffiti and another lot saying that the writer of Dear Boss and Saucy Jack was the killer. So all had to say that all three bits of scribble were from the same hand... but it isn't brain surgery....

...it is seriously impossible to say that!!..... given there was no definitive record of the GSG!.... and the types of writing, by known description.....schoolboy hand......vis a vis DB and SJ... don't match at all!

The only conclusion that I can come to is that the GSG and the DB and SJ have nothing to do with each other... and if the GSG isn't the author of the DB letter, or the SJ author... then the GSG wasn't written by the killer.... can't have been.

If the DB and SJ were journalistic inventions, as regarded almost certainly as so after the fact by the police... then they weren't written by the killer either.

Ipso facto. All three are red herrings.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....

Last edited by Phil Carter : 07-17-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Commisioner

Default on hold

Hello Phil. Thanks for starting this thread.

Frankly, I take none of these three seriously. At best, I place them in brackets awaiting further information.

Cheers.
LC
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Commisioner

Default Point of fact

The police never felt the Goulston St writing was genuine.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The police never felt the Goulston St writing was genuine.

Monty
I would have to disagree with that, Neil.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I think there is ample evidence to suggest that the consensus of police opinion was that the Goulston Steet graffiti was at the very least an important clue. While at the same time it could not be said with certainty that it was written by the culprit.
To suggest the police consensus was that it was not by the culprit is at best misleading.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
The only conclusion that I can come to is that the GSG and the DB and SJ have nothing to do with each other... and if the GSG isn't the author of the DB letter, or the SJ author... then the GSG wasn't written by the killer.... can't have been.

If the DB and SJ were journalistic inventions, as regarded almost certainly as so after the fact by the police... then they weren't written by the killer either.

Phil

I agree that the three writings may have nothing to do with one another, but I don't understand your logic when you state that if the author of the GSG isn't the author of the DB or SJ letters, then the GSG wasn't written by the killer.

Why not? DB and SJ could be journalistic creations as you state and GSG could have been written by the killer.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Commisioner

Default G'day Phil

Quote:
I'm sorry I just don't follow your reasoning just because Dear Boss and Saucy Jack are fake doesn't follow that GSG must be too. Likewise if they are genuine it doesn't authenticate the graffiti does it?

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
All three are red herrings.
Hi Phil,

This may well be true, if so, surely the goulston street red herring is the genuine red herring and the other two are just hoax red herrings
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Commisioner

There is only one entry, Moores, in the official files, where he personally claims the killer wrote the 'Graffito'. All other comments made by Police officials are also personal and made either in private correspondence or publications

There is no official police conclusion which states the killer did or did not leave writing at Goulston Street, and most certainly not "at the time".

It seems some are confusing the individual with the investigation. As Ed states, it was a clue to be innvestigated, not a belief.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Hello all,

There at least 6...yup SIX official versions of the Goulston Street Graffiti.. all from witnessing policemen. Different spellings, different wordings etc.

And it was recorded thus by these fair minded men only.

Now... exactly how many policemen does it take to get one tiny bit of writing observed correctly? I mean, you would have thought that they would have at least had a pow-wow and reached some sort of same conclusion?... But no...oh no... and then along comes Big Chief Warren and it gets rubbed off... and here's the punchline...

Exactly HOW, pray tell me, IF the Goulston Street Graffiti was written by the killer, (as was supposed by the police at the time), can anyone from this intrepid bunch identify said graffiti and compare it, by REMEMBERING it please note.... with the Dear Boss and Saucy Jack handwriting.. that was posted all over the place in large posters promoting said killer's handwriting... and say it was by the same hand?....without a photograph? and without a solid memory (which by the above 6 variations shows was totally non-existant anyway)???... and what type of hand was the description of the GSG???? It certainly wasn't the same type of hand that wrote Dear Boss and Saucy Jack!!.. (schoolboy hand?????)

You see... it is impossible to have one load of policemen saying that the killer was the writer of the Goulston St graffiti and another lot saying that the writer of Dear Boss and Saucy Jack was the killer. So all had to say that all three bits of scribble were from the same hand... but it isn't brain surgery....

...it is seriously impossible to say that!!..... given there was no definitive record of the GSG!.... and the types of writing, by known description.....schoolboy hand......vis a vis DB and SJ... don't match at all!

Phil
the dear boss letters and GSG could have been written by the same hand-the killers. they didn't take a picture so you cant compare the handwriting. "Good school boy hand" description is not inconsistent with the style of the dear boss letter.
both are connected to the crimes and were thought as possibly as clues by the police as written by the killer.

The biggest myth in ripperology is that the term jack the ripper was "invented" by the press.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline