Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - by GUT 13 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by GUT 13 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Wickerman 29 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 38 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 42 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - by DJA 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (63 posts)
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (8 posts)
General Discussion: The man who named JtR! - (1 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (1 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
I'm with you Gareth...he simply didn't notice first time around...especially since it was near the foot of the steps inside the stairwell, which perhaps he didn't fully investigate on his previous circuit...

All the best

Dave
If thats the case Dave, and you and Sam are correct, then why did he state that he didnt see it rather than he didnt notice anything? Why would he state something empirically when just guessing would be satisfactory? Surely a statement like " I went past and saw nothing of note", or "I dont recall seeing anything there"...why then, "It was not there".

I dont see why he would be compelled to word it in that manner if he was unsure, when using "I dont recall seeing it" would suffice.

Lots of witness, police and civilian, gave statements that allowed for them to be corrected.."to the best of my recollection...", I dont remember seeing anything"....., "I cant be sure"......

Why not Long?

Cheers
Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Why would he state something empirically when just guessing would be satisfactory? Surely a statement like " I went past and saw nothing of note", or "I dont recall seeing anything there"..
His words come to us in summary form in The Times, rather than verbatim, and that can often mislead. Even within these constraints, however, and in the same newspaper, Long responds thus to a question from solicitor Henry Crawford: "at about 20 minutes after 2, [Long] passed over the spot where the apron was found. If it was there then [Long] would not necessarily have seen it, as it was in the building". (My italics.)

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Thanks Gareth...I'd have replied precisely the same...

All the best

Dave
Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Commisioner

Default time and space

Hello All. If Long missed the piece first time round, that would help bridge the temporal gap.

Of course, one must STILL deal with the distance anomaly.

Cheers.
LC
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Detective

For me personally I've always been of the opinion that he didn't take a direct route back to his lodgings.Since he knew that spectators were gonna want to come out to see the victim's body, my guess is he crept along theside streets, ducking in and out of dark corners in case someone was coming down the street, perhaps stopping at a spot to clean himself and his knife off. Hell, maybe after doing that, he stopped in a pub to get himself a shot of whiskey or brandy or something strong to calm his nerves (unless all the pubs were closed by then). Then, as he was going down Goulston street, he may have noticed the graffiti on the wall and, as a little joke or in order to deceive the public, he deliberately deposited the apron there before heading home.

Yes, I'm one who believes he didn't write t he message but I don't think it was a coincidence that it was jsut left there on a whim.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 AM
Commisioner

G'Day JTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRSickert View Post
For me personally I've always been of the opinion that he didn't take a direct route back to his lodgings.Since he knew that spectators were gonna want to come out to see the victim's body, my guess is he crept along the side streets, ducking in and out of dark corners in case someone was coming down the street, perhaps stopping at a spot to clean himself and his knife off. Hell, maybe after doing that, he stopped in a pub to get himself a shot of whiskey or brandy or something strong to calm his nerves (unless all the pubs were closed by then). Then, as he was going down Goulston street, he may have noticed the graffiti on the wall and, as a little joke or in order to deceive the public, he deliberately deposited the apron there before heading home.

Yes, I'm one who believes he didn't write t he message but I don't think it was a coincidence that it was jsut left there on a whim.
But doesn't that depend on just where his lodgings were?

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
G'Day JTR

But doesn't that depend on just where his lodgings were?
Well I assume that his lodgings were back in the East End, away from the City. Whether Goulston St. is on the way or maybe just another diversionary route to get back to his home safely without being caught is something I don't think anyone can answer.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRSickert View Post
For me personally I've always been of the opinion that he didn't take a direct route back to his lodgings.Since he knew that spectators were gonna want to come out to see the victim's body, my guess is he crept along theside streets, ducking in and out of dark corners
Possibly, JTRS, however Goulston St is really only a short hop from Mitre Square, and it's also somewhat "tucked away". For someone heading from Mitre Square into Spitalfields, it's an ideal place to dispose of incriminating evidence. Given its relative proximity to the murder site, however, Goulston St a pretty stupid place to return with a bloodstained rag later, with the police out looking for you.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Commisioner

Default locus

Hello Gareth. IF the piece was used for wiping hands, surely it had been better discarded near the exit (choose one) from Mitre sq? He should have finished in a matter of seconds.

Cheers.
LC
Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn cates View Post
Hello Gareth. IF the piece was used for wiping hands, surely it had been better discarded near the exit (choose one) from Mitre sq?
Way too close to the murder scene, Lynn - especially (but not necessarily) if my intuition is correct that he had been unnerved by police footsteps.
Quote:
He should have finished in a matter of seconds
Not necessarily, if his hand was besmeared with excrement. That stuff can take some shifting, as we know. There's also a possibility that he'd cut himself, and that the wad of cloth was used as a makeshift bandage. A spell in a secluded doorway, not too far away, could then have served two purposes. First, to wipe his hand properly and second - if applicable - to assess the true extent of any wound. If not too serious, the rag could then have been safely jettisoned, and the killer left at liberty to slip off into the night.