Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 21 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 4 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - by Monty 7 hours ago.
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - by Mithras 7 hours ago.
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - by Mithras 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - (49 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (17 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (15 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (9 posts)
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Sickert, Walter

Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensei View Post
She had very successful and respectable careers in both forensics work [...]
No, no she didn't.That's a common error, largely because she seems to purposefully try to mislead people about her background.

She was a secretary for someone doing forensics work. She has no actual skills or background in forensics. Someone who gets coffee for someone, types up his notes, and occasionally got to watch a few procedures does not have a "very successful" career in that field.

She donates money to groups who educate others about science yet specifically avoids following science herself. Her claims about science in her books misrepresent the actual scientific conclusions her own experts reached, but they are hesitant to contradict her in public because of the money she keeps donating... and one of the people she cites as an expert who publicly agrees with her is actually now her life-partner. She surrounds herself with yes men (or, more often, yes women) to stoke her own ego. She's basically bought an undeserved reputation as an expert and uses it to fool her target audience into thinking they are getting the real thing.

Dan Norder
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
She had very successful and respectable careers in both forensics work and writing crime fiction before the Ripper got into her blood.
I thought that was Kay Scarpetta (or whatever she is called) from Cornwell's books??
Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Detective

Hello everyone,

Quote:
As for Cornwell, ... the Ripper got into her blood (put there not originally by her own speculations but by Scotland Yard's John Grieve).
Has Mr. Grieve spoke of the case again?

Paddy
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Sergeant

Hi Paddy,

John Grieve was one of the two main experts involved in a documentary recently giving their thoughts on the Ripper murders. It had nothing to do with Sickert and instead focused on an unknown local man of foreign appearance. One is left to speculate that when Cornwell asked him about the Ripper that he responded with a suspect that would make a good fictional Ripper for the novel that Cornwell was originally planning to write at the time the two talked and not a serious suggestion. Cornwell, however, apparently fell into the same trap as a lot of people and convinced herself that her fictional Ripper had such a good premise that it *must have been* what really happened.

Dan Norder
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Sergeant

If people actually read Sickert's writings and knew about his life, they would'nt fall for Cornwall's vicious fiction.
The connection between Sickert and the ripper is simple. Sickert was an early ripperlogist and was fascinated by the case, as were many writers and artists of the period. Sickert, a great raconnteur, was always talking about it, he had his own 'Lodger theory' and was also fascinated by The Titchbourne Claiment case,
As an artist who preferred to paint ordinary women in naturalistic, sometimes sordid settings, like his master Degas, the Ripper case would have stimulated his imagination. He was also like Degas one of the first artists to use photography as a source of inspiration.
Sickert would have thought it a great joke that he was regarded as a ripper suspect. If he had been around today, I bet any money he would have been a keen suscriber to the casebook, he was a great talker and writer and might have posted some great art up.
Miss Marple

Last edited by miss marple : 05-15-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Norder View Post
She surrounds herself with yes men (or, more often, yes women) to stoke her own ego. She's basically bought an undeserved reputation as an expert and uses it to fool her target audience into thinking they are getting the real thing.
The thought complete and utter Bo**ocks as about as articulate as I feel this comment deserves...

Patricia Cornwall is what she is...'A popular Crime Writer'

She has put considerable amounts of money into serious research...

She has never destroyed any paintings as popular 'Myth' would have it..

In fact some of the posts on casebook sound to me like 'Bullying'

I do not buy Walter Sickert as a suspect...but he was, before Patricia's book, a legitimate suspect (Certainly better than some like Maybrick) and he still has some legitimate questions hanging over him....

" was he one of the letter writers?" are you saying Professor Bower is a yes man?

Unfortunately there are some on casebook that simply cant get their heads around how difficult it is to get books published without the publishers putting annoying pressures on authors (and poorly paid Producers)

It was unfortunate that Patricia had 'Case Solved' on her cover..she has openly admitted this..

I commend anyone who spends any time or money on Jack the Ripper research in whatever area they feel fit...it all adds to greater understanding of the case and the period in general..

So why dont you concentrate on getting your publication out Dan...stop 'Bullying' other people, and try and add something to the case instead of the tiered old Patricia Cornwall bashing we all have to constantly put up with..

I do not think that Walter Sickert was 'Jack the Ripper' but I will defend with my life Patricia Cornwalls right to believe so....

(Besides Sickert himself would have loved the epitaph..)

Yours Jeff

PS. If you have any money spare Patricia?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Norder View Post
Hi Paddy,

John Grieve was one of the two main experts involved in a documentary recently giving their thoughts on the Ripper murders. It had nothing to do with Sickert and instead focused on an unknown local man of foreign appearance. One is left to speculate that when Cornwell asked him about the Ripper that he responded with a suspect that would make a good fictional Ripper for the novel that Cornwell was originally planning to write at the time the two talked and not a serious suggestion. Cornwell, however, apparently fell into the same trap as a lot of people and convinced herself that her fictional Ripper had such a good premise that it *must have been* what really happened.
Yes Dan the Documentary called 'JtR the first Serial killer' a documentary that I counted had 28 factual errors in it...

This stuff really should be left to Ripperologists
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
perrymason

I think that Pat Cornwell does for Walter Sickert what Tony Williams did for the Victorian surgeon John Williams, his relative.....they disparage the name and memories of a fine artist in an era of great artists, and a truly innovative surgeon who worked much of his career helping women with fertility issues, and founded a great tribute to Welsh literary culture. Anything we need to know about either man need not come from either novel. They left their marks in less appalling and bloody ways than was suggested.

Shes a very successful fiction crime novelist who made millions off a very successful fictional crime novel.

Neither of the above added anything to the study.

Lucky for us though we have brilliant writers here among us who do know their stuff on Ripper lore and much more...tips hat to the likes of Mr Evans, AP, Mr Fido..

Best regards all.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason View Post
Shes a very successful fiction crime novelist who made millions off a very successful fictional crime novel.

Neither of the above added anything to the study.

Best regards all.
While I agree with you Michael about being a successful Fictional Crime writer..

It is simply untrue to suggest that none of her research has added anything to the Ripper case..

Indeed as I understand she is still willing to put her own money where her mouth is..which she is perfectly entitled to do...and put that money into serious JtR Research..

Please do try and get your facts straight

Jeff
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
perrymason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jack View Post
While I agree with you Michael about being a successful Fictional Crime writer..

It is simply untrue to suggest that none of her research has added anything to the Ripper case..

Indeed as I understand she is still willing to put her own money where her mouth is..which she is perfectly entitled to do...and put that money into serious JtR Research..

Please do try and get your facts straight

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Well by my count she has so far only provided insufficient proof that a Ripper letter or two may have been penned by Sickert.

The fact she invested her money into the study since publishing is a result of the addictive aspects of researching these cases, not her altruistic desire to see real progress made in the field.

I give her credit for her apparent commitment to actually researching further, but "Case Closed" it isnt.

Best regards.